Walt Disney Company

Walt Disney Company Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger

Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches(in 23 reviews)

• The offices have a great work environment and positive, easy to get along with coworkers(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department(in 25 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job(in 36 reviews)

Lots of opportunity

Custodial Guest Services (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsThey hire from within, so there's lots of opportunity to change departments and move up in the ranks, they give great access to the parks for you and friends/family. Raises are annual, based on a percentage, as given by union contract.

ConsYou start as Casual Regular and your hours aren't guaranteed. They give hours based on seniority so if you're new, you may not get many hours. Because most of the cast members are younger, it may seem like a dramafest. You have to join the union. Only give benefits if you're Casual Permanent, which you need to wait for openings for, as well as do an interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee if it's possible to make life easier for the people going to school while working here. People are constantly getting scheduled during school times and needing to trade shifts.

Great Company

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the inclusiveness I felt from day one. I immediately received a benefits package, and they were ready for me to start on my first day... little things like my Email, Corporate Card, etc were laid out and ready to go! Many companies let you start and it takes weeks to feel like they want you there!

ConsWithin the office I worked in, my manager and I didn't see eye-to-eye. It wasn't a personal thing, and not even a fault on the manager... we just had different management styles.

Working at Disneyland was an awesome experience!

Custodial Busser (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsCast members get in the park free and receive discounts on merchandise.

ConsGuests can be rude... especially if their vacation isn't going as expected.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

slide operator

ProsThis a very fun job. Fun to talk to guest from different parts of the world. Awesome getting to enjoy the park as a guest for free.

ConsSummer is not so fun because the sun is too hot you might just melt, pay is not very good like 8.15 per hour but yes its a good job to start with to just put your foot on the door

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more water fans at every slide op stand, help then enjoy the work they are doing without worying about the sun

Wonderful growth

Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsMy time with Radio Disney apart of the Walt Disney Co. allowed me to understand the importance brand which has done wonders for my future in marketing

ConsSome long trips, generic sound made it hard to be local.

Disney Days

Entertainment Character Host (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

Prosatmosphere, leadership, perks, friendships, time-off policies, guest service

Consguest relations, commute, guests, pay, hours

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication

Great Company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe work atmosphere is always fun

Consthe salary might not be very consistant with industry

Dream Job as Jungle Cruise Skipper

Jungle Cruise Skipper, Magic Kingdom Operations, (Former Employee) Lake Buena Vista, FL

ProsI loved working on the Jungle Cruise in Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World. My team was great. Most people I met really believed in Walt's dream and wanted to cultivate a feeling of enthusiasm and magic. It is fast paced and very safety oriented. I liked meeting so many friendly people everyday. I liked making magic. I liked free entrance in the parks.

ConsIt's a low pay for the toll it can take on your emotional health at the end of a bad day (heat, crazy guests, et c). However, I thought it was very much worth the effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wished that upper management had tried to make a lasting connection between College Program kids, part-timers, and full-timers. There was definitely a division.

Good place to work if you don't need the money or want to advance up the corporate ladder.

PhotoPass Photographer (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsExcellent benefits package for full-time employees including; medical, dental, Park admission for you and your family, discounts on merchandise and rooms, and work uniforms "costumes" are provided. For the most part coworkers are friendly and you can have fun at work. It's encouraged that you use your imagination, play with the guests "customers", and engage everyone you meet. It's a great place to hone your customer service skills. You will meet people from all walks of life, all ages, all countries, and temperaments between completely amazed to rude and angry. However Disney gives you all the tools you need to deal with most situations. Training courses on diversity, in-depth training in customer service techniques, access to software for learning different languages, all internal communication is in both english and spanish, and a wealth of self paced learning online. Probably one of the best jobs if you don’t need to live off you own wages, just need the benefits, and/or have no interest in advancement.

ConsAs I just mentioned its a fun and rewarding job, just not financially. Average starting pay is barely above minimum wage and with the exception of peak times, they usually give you a minimum number of hours. Part-time has to give 4 days of availably but may only be worked 1 day a week. This and the fact that schedules are only posted a week in advance make it hard to get a second part-time job. Full-time is required to give "full availability". This means you have to be available to work any shift on any day, literally you have to be able to work 24/7 if needed. The minimum number of hours for full-time is 32 which can make budgeting tricky. Pay raises are small, between 1-5%, and in no way keeps up with inflation. It can take years to transfer from part-time to full-time not because of a lack of need but because upper management just won't make the opportunities available. Even if a full-timer leaves they don't fill the vacancy with an eligible part-timer looking to move up. They just back fill with another part-timer. However if you have a spouse who makes good money and you are working there for "fun" or to get medical benefits than non of this matters.

The management structure is very limiting for growth. There are very few levels between front-line castmember "employee" and upper management. This means it's hard to move up and extremely difficult to get into a middle management role. There are things you can do to enhance your pay like becoming a trainer or facilitator but the boost in pay is only in effect when you are officially scheduled for that role. None of these will help your chances to advance and if you're really good, could even hurt them. Managers are salary positions and tend to work more then 40 hours per week. Consideration for new manager candidates isn't done by performance or job knowledge but by favoritism. If you're liked you move up, if not you're stuck. Your direct manager holds your fate in their hands. Any kind of advancement or transfer can be blocked by them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBacked by a multi-billion dollar company that is known for its world class customer service and family friendly values it really help the reputation and bottom line if they would to pay those who are on the front lines a real living wage. With Disney being the only real choice for families why not help the lives of those families who work for you? It wouldn't hurt the bottom line and the improvement in employee satisfaction would actually improve it.

Bureaucracy at it's finest

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat if you have children and want to get into the park for free. If you don't have kids you may not care.

ConsLack of bonuses or promotion. Managers often get into the position via attrition and aren't suited for the role.

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!