Walt Disney Company

Updated October 22, 2014
3.8

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 33 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn and grow!

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for the Disney company just under 13 years before I left. I started right out of HS and was able to grow as a professional through many different positions there. Top notch training and some of the best leaders I have ever worked for. Great benefits.

Cons

Internal equity. As someone who worked there for so long (and in HR so I knew what people around me were making) I saw some inequality in the salaries. They should pay the people who have dedicated so many years to the company the same as those hired from the outside.

The Walt Disney Company is a magical company

Former Employee - IT Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Disney has great perks and compensation packages and allows employees to balance work-life duties. They take pride in having an educated and enthusiastic attitude towards employees and encourage new ideas.

Cons

Not much in the way of CONs at The Walt Disney company. They take steps to motivate and encourage additional training and education to enhance the employees contributions to the company. Depending on your education and role pay scale could be an issue.

Company values are superior to most other companies and creative thinking is encouraged. A wonderful workplace environment to grow and develop your career.

Great Perks Challenging Jobs

Current Employee - Professional Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Professional Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work on large scale objects, eposure to the entaitenment industry for engineers, lots of data, free park entrance for you and your friends, discounts on anything that has to do with Disney, great training

Cons

low salary compared to other places, might get lost in such a huge company, your job depends greatly on who your boss is

higher pay,

Co-workers made this job great.

Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was the most fun I've had working. Great family atmosphere and worked with some of the most creative people I've ever met.

Cons

Not enough chances to advance. Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean they aren't big business. Making money is their goal at any cost.

Hold workers accountable for what they do good or bad.

A wonderful, magical place for people with a heart for Disney.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like a creative atmosphere with great professionalism and great company values this is a great place to work. Great benefits for Disney lovers.

Cons

Not a lot of possibilities to grow or change divisions. Salaries are not raised frequently, if you want a change you need to change from job level.

Fun place to work but difficult to move up the ladder in their system

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are the best part. Training is exceptional. Good networking opportunities. Everyone is usually in a happy mood. You get to interact with people all over the world.

Cons

Most jobs require weekends and sometimes even holidays. The pay can be lower than similar jobs in other companies

Meticulous company which praises every cast member

Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I felt really appreciated and loved my job, as a character performer you get to put so many smiles in kids faces. The benefits are good, compensation a bit on the low side.

Cons

Sometimes I was scheduled so early in the morning. I would prefer a set schedule.

In the beginning I felt I needed a bit more training in the tunnel, got lost sometimes.

Bring Your Thick Skin With You

Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free admission to Disneyland Resort Parks worldwide (except Tokyo); discounts at food and retail outlets; a chance to make new friends.

Cons

Pay is very low for the stress you put up with from guests who feel entitled to do whatever they want because they took out a second mortgage on their house to afford to go to the park. Guests who will fight with you because they like to play dumb with you. Ageism is rabid among the younger college age cast members who feel it's ok to disrespect the older adults they work with. What kills me is cast members are represented by the Teamsters who are useless except for taking dues out of your paycheck. Oh, and if you need time off, you must schedule three weeks in advance or you're up a creek with no paddles. I could go on, but I might run out of space.

Grow a spine! Your Cast members are your greatest asset but they are often treated like trash. Giving them anniversary pins because they survived a year in the trenches isn't enough. I understands profits are everything but how about a higher starting salary?

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great family friendly company. Work-life balance is good. Offers a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Promotional opportunities only available if you work in LA/NY/Orlando

Enjoyed immensely

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, employee discounts and employee/family events on the studio lot. There really was a sense of family. You feel proud knowing the company's long history and innovative spirit. Great values overall and work/life balance is emphasized. Very synergistic company meaning that you learn about the rest of the company which is fascinating.

Cons

They do have a lot of reorganizations - sometimes it feels like they proceed with some projects too quickly without enough research or resources ultimately leading to undesirable results and revenue.

I would consider a development or mentorship program for employees below manager level.

Walt Disney Company Photos