Walt Disney Company

Walt Disney Company Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger

Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches (in 23 reviews)

• The offices have a great work environment and positive, easy to get along with coworkers (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department (in 26 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

A magical experience; when I'm old and rich, I'll work there again.

Disney College Program (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros-could put a thousand pros
    -coworkers become family
    -access to the parks
    -making magic for guests
    -creating memories for people that will last forever
    -going to Disney World every day
    -focus on events for employees
    -at least 994 more pros that I can't think of currently

Cons-don't do it for the money, the pay is terrible
    -long shifts
    -really hot summers
    -not all guests (customers) are happy to be there
    -aggressive foreigners
    -unionized co-workers that don't contribute to the team effort

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

A company you want to stay at least 3 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsMany development opportunities, lots of things happen every day, you will meet different people, different culture, and challenges.

ConsSometime it is really stressful because you have so many tasks to do/go at same time

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open talks

Good work & life balance place for decent pay

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood work & life balance. Decent pay. Perks and Movie review is very good.

Quite a lot of different teams and uses almost all kinds of technology you can think of.

ConsThe company is not technical oriented which means the its tech stack is quite messy. The managers are more business oriented than technical oriented. They focus more on the value of the product or service rather than the technical merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract high-skilled talents, please keep the work more technically interesting and also make the long term vision more clear.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's Disney, it's a high standard to follow.

Attractions Host (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsThe benefits are great! Getting into the park for free, sign ins, 40% merch during Holiday (nov.-feb) lots of friends, lots of jobs to do.

ConsIt's Disney, everyone wants to be here, I started off in Parking, and transferred over to Fantsyaland Attractions, Attractions are at the bottom of the totem pole! I make $9.33 an hour. And any of the better jobs are non-union, it's all a corporate game, half of the Legacy award recipients should not be Legacy Award recipients (on the other hand I've met so many wonderful Legacy recipients) with some moving up can be really fast, with others really slow, depending on if the managers like you. Fantasyland is a great land to be in. They say it's a great job if you don't like getting paid at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've grown so much as a person over a year and a half, working on my degree and I want to be in their PR dept. getting my first transfer was super easy. Schedulers do tend to play favorites all the time, but with my seniority I get my morning shifts and make a lot of hours in a week. Depends on the manager but I love mine at Fantasyland, great team! The upper management is great too! I totally support Bob Iger, but the pay for attractions needs to go up.

It was definitely an entertaining and rewarding experience

Bell Service Dispatcher (Former Employee) Lake Buena Vista, FL

ProsUpbeat people. Fun atmosphere. Benefits are nice.

ConsStressful. Many guests feel entitled to free things because of the cost of their vacations.

Incredibly under paid and over worked!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnly pros working for Disney is being able to live in Orlando and receiving a very small discount for the parks.

ConsWork-life balance is terrible. Pay can be equated to slave labor, Disney College Program is useless and not at all beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementINCREASE WAGES! No one can live off $7.32/hr! Better pay will benefit work-life balance.

Love Your Job and Act Like It

Custodial Cast Member (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsThis is a company that has amazing opportunities for growth in any area you want to pursue as long as you work at it. You must love what you do and work extremely hard, sometimes harder than it seems you should especially in the beginning, but it will be so worth it. This is a company that knows how to take care of employees. And if you are an employee that is passionate about your job, no matter what the title, you will have a job for life and grow in any aspect of this company you are interested in. You just have to have the drive. Don't get me wrong: it is extremely competitive and tough, but if you love it, it will be worth it.

ConsHours can be rough, especially if transportation is a problem for you. This is a company that is notorious for its strict adherence to rules and traditions, but it is only a con for the most part if you simply can't work in a fast paced environment. There are some issues with regulations that are economically, monetarily and time wise for the company, not sound, but if you do your job, then it isn't your issue to fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is such an amazing work culture at Disney that it is a shame that there is inflexibility in smaller managerial or operational issues, such as custodial methods, that are not allowed input from the cast members doing that specific job. There is great open communication between cast members and management, but there is no outlet for any further discussion or possible needed change to actually take place. This is my only criticism. All in all, my job at Disney is my favorite job and was blessed to work for such an amazing company.

Great co-workers terrible upper management that says one this and does the opposite.

ProsCoworkers, salary and working conditions. The "Peon" workers are some of the best people I have worked with. The same, however, cannot be said for Upper management. The diversity of products means you are rarely bored and always challenged.,

ConsSenior management is a pack of lying wolves. They will look you in the eyes and tell you everything is great all while axing jobs for no reason whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo take some ethics classes and stop your bold face lies. You handling of the recent re-org was the worst I have ever seen. Telling the employees they will not be affected that the re-org was just management, then after months axing some of the best talent in your company Charlie Wiener you should be ashamed!

Decent experience, nice company perks, but different groups are probably better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHaving a large corporation on your resume is typically a good thing, the benefits are pretty good, Silver Pass is pretty awesome

ConsNot a lot of mentorship or career growth option, VPs and above stick around too long, not a lot of upward mobility, not an innovative company, HR protects senior leadership and not the other lower-level employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruiting and maintaining talent should be priority number 1. Out with the old, in with the new- keeping around VPs who are bad managers is not good for morale or business.

Finance Manager

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsFun industry.
    Excellent facilities.
    Good perks for movie premiers, holiday parties, celebrity sightings.

ConsLack of work life balance.
    Lots of egotistic personalities to deal with as a result of being in the entertainment industry.

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!