Walt Disney Company

Updated October 20, 2014
3.8

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 28 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 33 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

A wonderful, magical place for people with a heart for Disney.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like a creative atmosphere with great professionalism and great company values this is a great place to work. Great benefits for Disney lovers.

Cons

Not a lot of possibilities to grow or change divisions. Salaries are not raised frequently, if you want a change you need to change from job level.

Co-workers made this job great.

Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was the most fun I've had working. Great family atmosphere and worked with some of the most creative people I've ever met.

Cons

Not enough chances to advance. Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean they aren't big business. Making money is their goal at any cost.

Hold workers accountable for what they do good or bad.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Technology - IT - Depressing

Current Employee - Senior Manager, IT in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, IT in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and work life balance is priceless. Overall leadership understands the need for work/life balance. Health benefits are still the best around. Salaries are competitive but not leading the way.

Cons

The Technology team is currently going through a poorly executed transition that includes a significant play with "managed resources" aka: Offshore support. Since the transformation was so poorly executed, morale is at its lowest in years, productivity is down. The almost 1000 IT Team members still have no clear direction. New leadership has been brought in with no earthly conception of Disney's brand, nor do they really care. Employees (Cast) have been DE-branded to the point that great talent is looking to leave. The off-shoring of technical jobs has reached new highs to the point the cast have no respect for the company any longer.

To the most Senior Management. Time for them to open their eyes to the dismantling of the technology organization and stop shipping jobs to India. Take a look at the most recent Cast Survey results and ask questions and don't take excuses. Check morale and actual results and not disguised numbers that look good. Encourage CIO leadership to embrace Disney culture and leverage the talent within.

Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Encouraging and flexible.
    Progression within the wider company

Cons

progression in a department and overseas transfer

Bring Your Thick Skin With You

Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free admission to Disneyland Resort Parks worldwide (except Tokyo); discounts at food and retail outlets; a chance to make new friends.

Cons

Pay is very low for the stress you put up with from guests who feel entitled to do whatever they want because they took out a second mortgage on their house to afford to go to the park. Guests who will fight with you because they like to play dumb with you. Ageism is rabid among the younger college age cast members who feel it's ok to disrespect the older adults they work with. What kills me is cast members are represented by the Teamsters who are useless except for taking dues out of your paycheck. Oh, and if you need time off, you must schedule three weeks in advance or you're up a creek with no paddles. I could go on, but I might run out of space.

Grow a spine! Your Cast members are your greatest asset but they are often treated like trash. Giving them anniversary pins because they survived a year in the trenches isn't enough. I understands profits are everything but how about a higher starting salary?

Amazing place to start my young career.

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time

Pros

Working for a company that truly values their employees.

Cons

I have not come across any cons. I love working for Disney.

xyz

I worked at Walt Disney Company

Pros

good salary, free entry to parks

Cons

bad employees, no personal time given

give personal care

Nothing Magical here

Current Employee - WDPRO Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - WDPRO Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working for DIsney are that it is and continues to be a place that is inspired by Kids dreams. The company has existed and thrives off of the belief that the core purpose is to make kids smile. The track record of being a company that has long time employees with careers in the decades is phenomenal.

Cons

While the Magic was what lured me to DIsney, it has long since gone. Employee morale is at an all time low for my division, vertical movement is pretty much non-existent, and good ideas are snuffed out by the winds of politics. There are way too many Executive positions, and not enough power to make change at the lower level.

Eat your own dog food. A quick scan of LinkedIn shows that several current Executives that have been at DIsney for more than a year now are still listing their former employers as current. How can a leader inspire motivation within a company if they don't want to associate with that company publicly themselves?

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great family friendly company. Work-life balance is good. Offers a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Promotional opportunities only available if you work in LA/NY/Orlando

Music Supervisor

Current Employee - Music Supervisor in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Music Supervisor in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

creative environment, company perks, health insurance, some great co-workers

Cons

Promotions not based on creative merit or work ethic. Childish behavior. Bad leadership and management. Everyone is out for themselves

Consider discussing progress with each employer not just once a year. Take a department consensus on who should get promoted & why. Continue to take management classes, and drive results. Take time to develop your employees and reward and compensate them for the hard work that they do.

Walt Disney Company Photos