Walt Disney Company Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.8

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches (in 23 reviews)

• The offices have a great work environment and positive, easy to get along with coworkers (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department (in 26 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Too corporate for me.

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

Free entry to Disney Parks.

Cons

Low salary, has a brainwashed feeling to me.

Great career company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Happy, smart people to work with, average pay, pretty good benefits. Beautiful offices to work in. Downtown parking is paid for by the company in Seattle, though that varies from city to city.

Cons

Layoffs happen constantly and it shakes up the morale of the company. Do not work in Disney Interactive, most layoffs seem to come from that division in my experience.

Encourage employees to move up in their career by actively discussing and learning about other groups with open positions.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations. Some businesses are better than others.

Cons

I expected a corporate environment but the politics are more challenging than expected. I believe the success of the company contributes to a culture where people are afraid to say no. While failure is not an option, nor should it be, I've seen management overpromise and then throw their people under the bus when it was impossible for them to deliver. Avoid certain areas of corporate until the leadership is held accountable for their underperformance.

Take look at your newer initiatives that are under resourced and hold the leaders accountable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job security, easy work for the pay, lack of long term opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Machinist  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Machinist in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Union job at Disneyland Resort which means its hard to get fired or laid off without violating safety or conduct policy. The work is extremely easy for the pay. Mostly inspect, remove, and repair or replace parts as needed.

Cons

Because this job is union there will be people who clearly have no place in leadership or the craft at all who cannot be fired. Most people work 3rd shift with days off in the middle of the week and it takes many years to earn seniority to move to 1st shift and/or weekends. I work with men who have been on 3rd shift for 15+ years. Though the work is easy it can get boring when you dont feel like you are being challenged. Also there is no potential for career growth without moving into management once you reach 5 years. Moving beyond entry level management appears to be very selective as well.

Put more trust in your teams. Managers need to be more selective in choosing their leaders and it shouldnt be a popularity contest. The company needs to care as much about making the attractions safe and efficient as it does about putting on a good show. It shouldnt take a guest getting injured to correct a deficiency the technicians informed management about months ago.

great benefits and fellow interns, low pay

Former Employee - Corporate Intern  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern

Pros

great benefits like commuter assistance (vanpool, carpool), free snacks, discounts. The people that were my level were great to work with! The campus is so amazing, but you'll spend most of your time in your cube. The company is huge and has been in business for a long time. You will learn a massive amount of things from management to technical skills on excel. Offers training classes to interns. There is just so many learning opportunities.

Cons

low pay, stressful environment, "old boys culture" and they don't seem to promote from within. There seems to be bureaucracy to getting things done. It took a while for me to get access to the network. one of the interns didn't even have a desk for a week.

Improve your office culture to improve the turnover rate in your headquarters. There seemed to be a burn out vibe.

It was definitely an entertaining and rewarding experience

Former Employee - Bell Service Dispatcher  in  Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Bell Service Dispatcher in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upbeat people. Fun atmosphere. Benefits are nice.

Cons

Stressful. Many guests feel entitled to free things because of the cost of their vacations.

It's Disney, it's a high standard to follow.

Current Employee - Attractions Host  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Attractions Host in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great! Getting into the park for free, sign ins, 40% merch during Holiday (nov.-feb) lots of friends, lots of jobs to do.

Cons

It's Disney, everyone wants to be here, I started off in Parking, and transferred over to Fantsyaland Attractions, Attractions are at the bottom of the totem pole! I make $9.33 an hour. And any of the better jobs are non-union, it's all a corporate game, half of the Legacy award recipients should not be Legacy Award recipients (on the other hand I've met so many wonderful Legacy recipients) with some moving up can be really fast, with others really slow, depending on if the managers like you. Fantasyland is a great land to be in. They say it's a great job if you don't like getting paid at all.

I've grown so much as a person over a year and a half, working on my degree and I want to be in their PR dept. getting my first transfer was super easy. Schedulers do tend to play favorites all the time, but with my seniority I get my morning shifts and make a lot of hours in a week. Depends on the manager but I love mine at Fantasyland, great team! The upper management is great too! I totally support Bob Iger, but the pay for attractions needs to go up.

Love Your Job and Act Like It

Former Employee - Custodial Cast Member  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Custodial Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time

Pros

This is a company that has amazing opportunities for growth in any area you want to pursue as long as you work at it. You must love what you do and work extremely hard, sometimes harder than it seems you should especially in the beginning, but it will be so worth it. This is a company that knows how to take care of employees. And if you are an employee that is passionate about your job, no matter what the title, you will have a job for life and grow in any aspect of this company you are interested in. You just have to have the drive. Don't get me wrong: it is extremely competitive and tough, but if you love it, it will be worth it.

Cons

Hours can be rough, especially if transportation is a problem for you. This is a company that is notorious for its strict adherence to rules and traditions, but it is only a con for the most part if you simply can't work in a fast paced environment. There are some issues with regulations that are economically, monetarily and time wise for the company, not sound, but if you do your job, then it isn't your issue to fix.

There is such an amazing work culture at Disney that it is a shame that there is inflexibility in smaller managerial or operational issues, such as custodial methods, that are not allowed input from the cast members doing that specific job. There is great open communication between cast members and management, but there is no outlet for any further discussion or possible needed change to actually take place. This is my only criticism. All in all, my job at Disney is my favorite job and was blessed to work for such an amazing company.

It's a pretty good place but lots of politics

Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is one of positivity and collaboration

Cons

Sometimes the executives are out of ouch with the new market
     And make bad decisions

Learn more. Don't get stagnant.

Great company for benefits and longevity.

Former Employee - Performer
    Former Employee - Performer

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in a Broadway show, they ran it very professionally, more corporate than other broadway productions

Cons

2 show days on the weekends

Get to know the staff better

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!