Walt Disney Company

Updated October 24, 2014
3.7

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 33 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but......

Current Employee - Guest Show Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Show Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, time-off is good. Amazing learning experience. You get to work with great cast members thatvwork really hard to make our guests happy. I love the impact that as leader I can make in my cast and my peers.

Cons

A lot of hours but low sakary for all the hard work. The level of stress is a way to much.

Leaders salary should be better.

Good Company To Work For That Could Be Great

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate office is a beautiful environment that has several amenities for employees. I found that I was able to take on several projects that challenged me. Leaders on my team were collaborative, but allowed me to work autonomously with little supervision. I found that my insights and recommendations were well received by the managers that I worked with. Part of my role included working with operators in the field and assisting them with questions and concerns provided a lot of fulfillment.

Cons

What would take Darden from good to great would be more progressive people management strategies. Two things that I would have liked to have seen is a formal career development plan for employees at the home office and the opportunity for more remote work solutions.

Cutting edge technology is another area of opportunity.

Think more progressively about how employees want to work and how to help employees transition from non-exempt to exempt roles.

Hard work but definitely worth it.

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Looks out for best interest of employee. Increased employee empowerment.

Cons

Getting hours are difficult if you are part-time despite being hired.

Hire less people and distribute hours evenly.

Love

Former Employee - Park Greeter in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Park Greeter in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are so nice
    Perks - Park admission/discounts

Cons

No room for growth
    Long hours
    Pay is low

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Technology - IT - Depressing

Current Employee - Senior Manager, IT in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, IT in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and work life balance is priceless. Overall leadership understands the need for work/life balance. Health benefits are still the best around. Salaries are competitive but not leading the way.

Cons

The Technology team is currently going through a poorly executed transition that includes a significant play with "managed resources" aka: Offshore support. Since the transformation was so poorly executed, morale is at its lowest in years, productivity is down. The almost 1000 IT Team members still have no clear direction. New leadership has been brought in with no earthly conception of Disney's brand, nor do they really care. Employees (Cast) have been DE-branded to the point that great talent is looking to leave. The off-shoring of technical jobs has reached new highs to the point the cast have no respect for the company any longer.

To the most Senior Management. Time for them to open their eyes to the dismantling of the technology organization and stop shipping jobs to India. Take a look at the most recent Cast Survey results and ask questions and don't take excuses. Check morale and actual results and not disguised numbers that look good. Encourage CIO leadership to embrace Disney culture and leverage the talent within.

Nothing Magical here

Current Employee - WDPRO Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - WDPRO Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working for DIsney are that it is and continues to be a place that is inspired by Kids dreams. The company has existed and thrives off of the belief that the core purpose is to make kids smile. The track record of being a company that has long time employees with careers in the decades is phenomenal.

Cons

While the Magic was what lured me to DIsney, it has long since gone. Employee morale is at an all time low for my division, vertical movement is pretty much non-existent, and good ideas are snuffed out by the winds of politics. There are way too many Executive positions, and not enough power to make change at the lower level.

Eat your own dog food. A quick scan of LinkedIn shows that several current Executives that have been at DIsney for more than a year now are still listing their former employers as current. How can a leader inspire motivation within a company if they don't want to associate with that company publicly themselves?

xyz

I worked at Walt Disney Company

Pros

good salary, free entry to parks

Cons

bad employees, no personal time given

give personal care

Music Supervisor

Current Employee - Music Supervisor in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Music Supervisor in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

creative environment, company perks, health insurance, some great co-workers

Cons

Promotions not based on creative merit or work ethic. Childish behavior. Bad leadership and management. Everyone is out for themselves

Consider discussing progress with each employer not just once a year. Take a department consensus on who should get promoted & why. Continue to take management classes, and drive results. Take time to develop your employees and reward and compensate them for the hard work that they do.

Good company and people to work with. Stay below the VP level for security otherwise watch your back.

Former Employee - Technical Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All the companies under Disney are exciting. Parks, stores, ESPN, Marvel, etc.

Salary is OK but a great resume builder. Good perks depending on the business unit your in.

Cons

Poor HR function. They really don't care. no cross training so if you want to move to another department of division you are on your own. Pay is just OK as most people use Disney as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

very good experience, but hard to get promoted. good company overall, learned a lot of things.

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern

Pros

I love to work there, training is good, benefit is very good too. free admission with three other friends, 20% discount with buying staff in the park.

Cons

hard to get promoted, some managers are not really care about the bottom line stuffs. but some are really good.

Walt Disney Company Photos