Walt Disney Company

Walt Disney Company Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger

Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches (in 23 reviews)

• The offices have a great work environment and positive, easy to get along with coworkers (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department (in 26 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people, great company, amazing brand, nice perks.

ConsIt's a major studio. Bad news can come on any given day.

Bureaucracy at it's finest

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat if you have children and want to get into the park for free. If you don't have kids you may not care.

ConsLack of bonuses or promotion. Managers often get into the position via attrition and aren't suited for the role.

Good place to work if you don't need the money or want to advance up the corporate ladder.

PhotoPass Photographer (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsExcellent benefits package for full-time employees including; medical, dental, Park admission for you and your family, discounts on merchandise and rooms, and work uniforms "costumes" are provided. For the most part coworkers are friendly and you can have fun at work. It's encouraged that you use your imagination, play with the guests "customers", and engage everyone you meet. It's a great place to hone your customer service skills. You will meet people from all walks of life, all ages, all countries, and temperaments between completely amazed to rude and angry. However Disney gives you all the tools you need to deal with most situations. Training courses on diversity, in-depth training in customer service techniques, access to software for learning different languages, all internal communication is in both english and spanish, and a wealth of self paced learning online. Probably one of the best jobs if you don’t need to live off you own wages, just need the benefits, and/or have no interest in advancement.

ConsAs I just mentioned its a fun and rewarding job, just not financially. Average starting pay is barely above minimum wage and with the exception of peak times, they usually give you a minimum number of hours. Part-time has to give 4 days of availably but may only be worked 1 day a week. This and the fact that schedules are only posted a week in advance make it hard to get a second part-time job. Full-time is required to give "full availability". This means you have to be available to work any shift on any day, literally you have to be able to work 24/7 if needed. The minimum number of hours for full-time is 32 which can make budgeting tricky. Pay raises are small, between 1-5%, and in no way keeps up with inflation. It can take years to transfer from part-time to full-time not because of a lack of need but because upper management just won't make the opportunities available. Even if a full-timer leaves they don't fill the vacancy with an eligible part-timer looking to move up. They just back fill with another part-timer. However if you have a spouse who makes good money and you are working there for "fun" or to get medical benefits than non of this matters.

The management structure is very limiting for growth. There are very few levels between front-line castmember "employee" and upper management. This means it's hard to move up and extremely difficult to get into a middle management role. There are things you can do to enhance your pay like becoming a trainer or facilitator but the boost in pay is only in effect when you are officially scheduled for that role. None of these will help your chances to advance and if you're really good, could even hurt them. Managers are salary positions and tend to work more then 40 hours per week. Consideration for new manager candidates isn't done by performance or job knowledge but by favoritism. If you're liked you move up, if not you're stuck. Your direct manager holds your fate in their hands. Any kind of advancement or transfer can be blocked by them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBacked by a multi-billion dollar company that is known for its world class customer service and family friendly values it really help the reputation and bottom line if they would to pay those who are on the front lines a real living wage. With Disney being the only real choice for families why not help the lives of those families who work for you? It wouldn't hurt the bottom line and the improvement in employee satisfaction would actually improve it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work, but pay was minimal

Cast Member (Former Employee) Lake Buena Vista, FL

Prospeople forced to be nice, free park passes, benefits

Consrate of pay, too many managers, not understanding of personal life

Disney College Program

College Program (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsAmazing experience! I would suggest this for anyone looking to further their career or add a major company to your resume!

ConsIt's at times easy to get lost in the shuffle or feel like you are making a difference in such a big corporation with so many employees.

Everyone thinks they're the next Walt Disney and will step on everyone to get ahead.

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsHealth benefits and educational reimbursement.

ConsCulture and difficult senior management. Everything has to be blessed by at least four or more people, including people who have no seniority or expertise in what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to set the example for collaboration and team work and then enforce it.

Best place to start your career

Supervisor (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsLots of opportunities to grow. Great experience working for a massive multi-national. Benefits were good, but a bit expensive. Lots of cool perks if you work in the right area.

ConsLadder climbers galore. Need to always watch your back for someone. Compensation does not encourage staying with the company for a long time. to move up you have o leave and come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more incentives for good people to stay

Loved every moment

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsGreat opportunities, people and framework for growth/ learning opportunities

ConsBig company means sometimes silos exist. Lots of politics

slide operator

ProsThis a very fun job. Fun to talk to guest from different parts of the world. Awesome getting to enjoy the park as a guest for free.

ConsSummer is not so fun because the sun is too hot you might just melt, pay is not very good like 8.15 per hour but yes its a good job to start with to just put your foot on the door

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more water fans at every slide op stand, help then enjoy the work they are doing without worying about the sun

Wonderful growth

Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsMy time with Radio Disney apart of the Walt Disney Co. allowed me to understand the importance brand which has done wonders for my future in marketing

ConsSome long trips, generic sound made it hard to be local.

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!