Walt Disney Company

Updated November 19, 2014
3.7

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 33 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Perks Challenging Jobs

Current Employee - Professional Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Professional Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work on large scale objects, eposure to the entaitenment industry for engineers, lots of data, free park entrance for you and your friends, discounts on anything that has to do with Disney, great training

Cons

low salary compared to other places, might get lost in such a huge company, your job depends greatly on who your boss is

higher pay,

Co-workers made this job great.

Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was the most fun I've had working. Great family atmosphere and worked with some of the most creative people I've ever met.

Cons

Not enough chances to advance. Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean they aren't big business. Making money is their goal at any cost.

Hold workers accountable for what they do good or bad.

A wonderful, magical place for people with a heart for Disney.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you like a creative atmosphere with great professionalism and great company values this is a great place to work. Great benefits for Disney lovers.

Cons

Not a lot of possibilities to grow or change divisions. Salaries are not raised frequently, if you want a change you need to change from job level.

Meticulous company which praises every cast member

Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I felt really appreciated and loved my job, as a character performer you get to put so many smiles in kids faces. The benefits are good, compensation a bit on the low side.

Cons

Sometimes I was scheduled so early in the morning. I would prefer a set schedule.

In the beginning I felt I needed a bit more training in the tunnel, got lost sometimes.

Bring Your Thick Skin With You

Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free admission to Disneyland Resort Parks worldwide (except Tokyo); discounts at food and retail outlets; a chance to make new friends.

Cons

Pay is very low for the stress you put up with from guests who feel entitled to do whatever they want because they took out a second mortgage on their house to afford to go to the park. Guests who will fight with you because they like to play dumb with you. Ageism is rabid among the younger college age cast members who feel it's ok to disrespect the older adults they work with. What kills me is cast members are represented by the Teamsters who are useless except for taking dues out of your paycheck. Oh, and if you need time off, you must schedule three weeks in advance or you're up a creek with no paddles. I could go on, but I might run out of space.

Grow a spine! Your Cast members are your greatest asset but they are often treated like trash. Giving them anniversary pins because they survived a year in the trenches isn't enough. I understands profits are everything but how about a higher starting salary?

Happiest Place On earth

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

Theme characters everywhere in all the parks at each location!

Cons

Getting to the front of lines can be tough

Grease the walk ways

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great family friendly company. Work-life balance is good. Offers a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Promotional opportunities only available if you work in LA/NY/Orlando

College or Retired

Current Employee - Attractions Host in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Attractions Host in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the park, and I loved the guests! I never had a bad day because of a guest. Even if they were having a bad day, I was able to turn it around, and I loved that.

Cons

If you're going in and working at the parks, 80% are either college kids, or retirees, and very few in between. The former love drama and cause it where there isn't any.

Fun job, but not for long-term

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandise Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandise Hostess in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are that working as an associate at Walt Disney World is extremely organized. I have a new retail job where I keep thinking how terribly disorganized they are in comparison to my time at Disney. Also, you get to meet other associates from all over the world. This is a great part-time job (with obviously tons of perks - free park entry, etc.) for college students. Also, you never have to worry about not getting hours! It's also really simple to give away or trade shifts.

Cons

The main challenge my first summer there was the really late hours, sometimes I'd stay until 3am.

Great training ground

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training ground - super smart people, great products and you are a part of an amazing legacy

Cons

work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs. Pay is not as high as competitive places and promotions are few/far between

You hire some amazing people, but do not necessarily plan to grow them within the organization. Investing more in a growth plan planned into your annual budgeting and 5yr planning cycles could help you be an even stronger company

Walt Disney Company Photos