Walt Disney Company

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 33 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great training ground

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training ground - super smart people, great products and you are a part of an amazing legacy

Cons

work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs. Pay is not as high as competitive places and promotions are few/far between

You hire some amazing people, but do not necessarily plan to grow them within the organization. Investing more in a growth plan planned into your annual budgeting and 5yr planning cycles could help you be an even stronger company

Enjoyed immensely

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, employee discounts and employee/family events on the studio lot. There really was a sense of family. You feel proud knowing the company's long history and innovative spirit. Great values overall and work/life balance is emphasized. Very synergistic company meaning that you learn about the rest of the company which is fascinating.

Cons

They do have a lot of reorganizations - sometimes it feels like they proceed with some projects too quickly without enough research or resources ultimately leading to undesirable results and revenue.

I would consider a development or mentorship program for employees below manager level.

Disney has provided me with ample opportunity to solve challenging problems and grow professionally.

Current Employee - Technical Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has an enduring legacy. "It's fun to do the impossible."- Walt Disney. Creativity and a sincere drive to serve the consumer magical experiences underpins everything we do here.

Cons

Benefits package is mid-tier, not as good as working for a pure technology company.

Add a technically visionary CTO to the executive ranks.

One of the best companies to work for!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, good pay, some of the best co-workers to work with and some great perks such as the cereal cart in the mornings, free park passes, Disney silver pass, Disney discounts at the Disney store, and on a variety of products online, in stores, restaurants, you name it!

Cons

Sometimes there's not much room for advancement depending on which Business Unit your work for, however that could be different for others.

Great Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, good people, large enterprise environment with many new technologies

Cons

New leadership teams in Studios is one of the worst

College Program Internship

Former Employee - Merchandise Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Hostess in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free access to all the parks, get a great understanding about the "Disney Way" and how powerful great customer service goes a long way.

Cons

Minimum wage even though you work a ton of hours. Disney promotes that you'll get on the job training for your particular degree but they don't care about your degree. They only care about your past work history when deciding your role.

Interns should be in positions to understand their major/field. Otherwise, interns are strictly cheap labor.

Typical

Current Employee - Attractions Host in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Attractions Host in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The best part of working for the mouse is the Cast Member Discount and Free Tickets.

Cons

You are just a number and thousands of other people want to climb the disney ladder, but it seems you have to brown noise your way up to get a promotion. I began as a Intern for 6 months, but continued my career as a seasonal cast member. However, it seems the company does not want Seasonal CM's and tries to ding you for every tiny mistake to get you fired.

Hard work but definitely worth it.

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Looks out for best interest of employee. Increased employee empowerment.

Cons

Getting hours are difficult if you are part-time despite being hired.

Hire less people and distribute hours evenly.

Great company but......

Current Employee - Guest Show Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Show Manager in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, time-off is good. Amazing learning experience. You get to work with great cast members thatvwork really hard to make our guests happy. I love the impact that as leader I can make in my cast and my peers.

Cons

A lot of hours but low sakary for all the hard work. The level of stress is a way to much.

Leaders salary should be better.

Good Company To Work For That Could Be Great

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate office is a beautiful environment that has several amenities for employees. I found that I was able to take on several projects that challenged me. Leaders on my team were collaborative, but allowed me to work autonomously with little supervision. I found that my insights and recommendations were well received by the managers that I worked with. Part of my role included working with operators in the field and assisting them with questions and concerns provided a lot of fulfillment.

Cons

What would take Darden from good to great would be more progressive people management strategies. Two things that I would have liked to have seen is a formal career development plan for employees at the home office and the opportunity for more remote work solutions.

Cutting edge technology is another area of opportunity.

Think more progressively about how employees want to work and how to help employees transition from non-exempt to exempt roles.

Walt Disney Company Photos