Walt Disney Company

Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work- Life Balance Well; Nice working environment; Comfortable leadership (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not great and there is not a lot of stability since there are frequent re-orgs (in 36 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and Exciting at first, lack of fair advancement upsetting

Current Employee - Recreation-Slide Operator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Recreation-Slide Operator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, great perks as mentioned in previous reviews, meet lifelong friends from across the globe.

Cons

Very low pay, advancement opportunities seem unfair, mandatory OT, and just generally treated not well.

It's Disney! Yay?

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kids and friends will think you hit the lottery working for the big D.

Cons

If you are a contractor you will be replaced shortly.

Higher full-time employees and show the work force you respect artist and their families.

Great place to learn and grow!

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for the Disney company just under 13 years before I left. I started right out of HS and was able to grow as a professional through many different positions there. Top notch training and some of the best leaders I have ever worked for. Great benefits.

Cons

Internal equity. As someone who worked there for so long (and in HR so I knew what people around me were making) I saw some inequality in the salaries. They should pay the people who have dedicated so many years to the company the same as those hired from the outside.

You think you want to work here, but...

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, the status is great. Not many companies have such a sense of history.

Cons

The work environment can be truly toxic.

The mediocre rise to the top. Since people are generally fearful for their jobs, risk taking and personal responsibility aren't common traits supported by management.

Love

Former Employee - Park Greeter in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Park Greeter in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are so nice
    Perks - Park admission/discounts

Cons

No room for growth
    Long hours
    Pay is low

Good place until you find something better

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

The coworkers are like family. You form relationships that last forever. Good training great health benefits and park entry benefits

Cons

Management will try to get rid of you by making your life hard if you disagree with them. Can't get a promotion to save your life, and benefits are good because pay wages for regular workers are next to nothing. You will need 2 jobs to work here, and tat can be hard to do with Disney's strict availability policy

Have your everyday workers back instead of covering for other management you will get much more loyal employees

The Walt Disney Company is a magical company

Former Employee - IT Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Disney has great perks and compensation packages and allows employees to balance work-life duties. They take pride in having an educated and enthusiastic attitude towards employees and encourage new ideas.

Cons

Not much in the way of CONs at The Walt Disney company. They take steps to motivate and encourage additional training and education to enhance the employees contributions to the company. Depending on your education and role pay scale could be an issue.

Company values are superior to most other companies and creative thinking is encouraged. A wonderful workplace environment to grow and develop your career.

Meticulous company which praises every cast member

Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Character Performer in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I felt really appreciated and loved my job, as a character performer you get to put so many smiles in kids faces. The benefits are good, compensation a bit on the low side.

Cons

Sometimes I was scheduled so early in the morning. I would prefer a set schedule.

In the beginning I felt I needed a bit more training in the tunnel, got lost sometimes.

Bring Your Thick Skin With You

Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free admission to Disneyland Resort Parks worldwide (except Tokyo); discounts at food and retail outlets; a chance to make new friends.

Cons

Pay is very low for the stress you put up with from guests who feel entitled to do whatever they want because they took out a second mortgage on their house to afford to go to the park. Guests who will fight with you because they like to play dumb with you. Ageism is rabid among the younger college age cast members who feel it's ok to disrespect the older adults they work with. What kills me is cast members are represented by the Teamsters who are useless except for taking dues out of your paycheck. Oh, and if you need time off, you must schedule three weeks in advance or you're up a creek with no paddles. I could go on, but I might run out of space.

Grow a spine! Your Cast members are your greatest asset but they are often treated like trash. Giving them anniversary pins because they survived a year in the trenches isn't enough. I understands profits are everything but how about a higher starting salary?

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great family friendly company. Work-life balance is good. Offers a lot of training opportunities.

Cons

Promotional opportunities only available if you work in LA/NY/Orlando

Walt Disney Company Photos