Walt Disney Company

Updated September 29, 2014
3.8

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches (in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department (in 31 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Labor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Labor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, opportunity to advance, love the diversity, will help pay for schooling if it ties into your job.

Cons

People that get promoted that shouldn't be. Pay is not great unless your in a skilled position.

Very editing, creative experience

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

Get to do many creative projects

Cons

It is a very big company with slow decision making

Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Various  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Various in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The insurance is decent, the facilities are great, you get to go to Disneyland for free and take three friends.

Cons

The pay tends to be low, there are constant turnovers, layoffs, reorganizations, and downsizings. This has been happening for years.

As a long Time Disney employee, I have seen the company go through many ups and downs. At times it's been great, and I looked forward to driving through the gates every single day. Other times it has felt like a war zone. While the stock price is up currently (along with the rest of the stock market), morale is about as low as it can get right now. There have been periods of times when the management at Disney has treated the employees like family, and like human beings. There were many perks, gifts, swag, and things only employees were allowed to attend or get as an expression of appreciation from the management to the hard work everyone does there. Over the years, Disney has taken almost all of those incentives away, as well as its basic human kindness and goodwill, and has left its workforce exhausted, unappreciated, spiritless, and in constant fear of losing their job. A job that keeps them alive, and pays for their health insurance. I can't imagine a company would get its best work out of a stressed and discouraged workforce who has not felt like a part of the magic in quite a long time. In the last five years, I cannot believe how many people from inside Disney I've seen go on sick leave, quit without a job to go onto, or otherwise become incapacitated and useless in a job setting because of the harsh cultural conditions Disney has decided to adopt on a fairly wide basis. Walking around the studio, I have never seen more people express their unhappiness in open conversation with working at the company, and given the current economic conditions where jobs in entertainment have contracted severely, feel they are stuck in a terrible situation they simply cannot get out of. A cultural shift must take place at Disney where the employee is put first, and not merely considered an afterthought as they often appear to be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really underpayed

Current Employee - Guest Relations Host  in  Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Relations Host in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks are free park admission full medical and dental and some OT

Cons

Work way to much for way to little.NO support from leadership.

give real feedback to help your team grow

Too corporate for me.

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

Free entry to Disney Parks.

Cons

Low salary, has a brainwashed feeling to me.

Great career company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Happy, smart people to work with, average pay, pretty good benefits. Beautiful offices to work in. Downtown parking is paid for by the company in Seattle, though that varies from city to city.

Cons

Layoffs happen constantly and it shakes up the morale of the company. Do not work in Disney Interactive, most layoffs seem to come from that division in my experience.

Encourage employees to move up in their career by actively discussing and learning about other groups with open positions.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations. Some businesses are better than others.

Cons

I expected a corporate environment but the politics are more challenging than expected. I believe the success of the company contributes to a culture where people are afraid to say no. While failure is not an option, nor should it be, I've seen management overpromise and then throw their people under the bus when it was impossible for them to deliver. Avoid certain areas of corporate until the leadership is held accountable for their underperformance.

Take look at your newer initiatives that are under resourced and hold the leaders accountable.

Job security, easy work for the pay, lack of long term opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Machinist  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Machinist in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Union job at Disneyland Resort which means its hard to get fired or laid off without violating safety or conduct policy. The work is extremely easy for the pay. Mostly inspect, remove, and repair or replace parts as needed.

Cons

Because this job is union there will be people who clearly have no place in leadership or the craft at all who cannot be fired. Most people work 3rd shift with days off in the middle of the week and it takes many years to earn seniority to move to 1st shift and/or weekends. I work with men who have been on 3rd shift for 15+ years. Though the work is easy it can get boring when you dont feel like you are being challenged. Also there is no potential for career growth without moving into management once you reach 5 years. Moving beyond entry level management appears to be very selective as well.

Put more trust in your teams. Managers need to be more selective in choosing their leaders and it shouldnt be a popularity contest. The company needs to care as much about making the attractions safe and efficient as it does about putting on a good show. It shouldnt take a guest getting injured to correct a deficiency the technicians informed management about months ago.

great benefits and fellow interns, low pay

Former Employee - Corporate Intern  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern

Pros

great benefits like commuter assistance (vanpool, carpool), free snacks, discounts. The people that were my level were great to work with! The campus is so amazing, but you'll spend most of your time in your cube. The company is huge and has been in business for a long time. You will learn a massive amount of things from management to technical skills on excel. Offers training classes to interns. There is just so many learning opportunities.

Cons

low pay, stressful environment, "old boys culture" and they don't seem to promote from within. There seems to be bureaucracy to getting things done. It took a while for me to get access to the network. one of the interns didn't even have a desk for a week.

Improve your office culture to improve the turnover rate in your headquarters. There seemed to be a burn out vibe.

Designer

Current Employee - Designer  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and nice perks

Cons

Slow moving and lots of changes that don't make sense recently. Very unstable currently.

Walt Disney Company Photos

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!