Walt Disney Company

Updated September 19, 2014
3.8

Walt Disney Company President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger
Bob Iger

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, can work hours you want to set and take half hour lunches (in 23 reviews)

• The offices have a great work environment and positive, easy to get along with coworkers (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance depends on your department (in 26 reviews)

• Required to work long hours at certain times of the year, but that can be expected at any job (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Love Your Job and Act Like It

Former Employee - Custodial Cast Member  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Custodial Cast Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time

Pros

This is a company that has amazing opportunities for growth in any area you want to pursue as long as you work at it. You must love what you do and work extremely hard, sometimes harder than it seems you should especially in the beginning, but it will be so worth it. This is a company that knows how to take care of employees. And if you are an employee that is passionate about your job, no matter what the title, you will have a job for life and grow in any aspect of this company you are interested in. You just have to have the drive. Don't get me wrong: it is extremely competitive and tough, but if you love it, it will be worth it.

Cons

Hours can be rough, especially if transportation is a problem for you. This is a company that is notorious for its strict adherence to rules and traditions, but it is only a con for the most part if you simply can't work in a fast paced environment. There are some issues with regulations that are economically, monetarily and time wise for the company, not sound, but if you do your job, then it isn't your issue to fix.

There is such an amazing work culture at Disney that it is a shame that there is inflexibility in smaller managerial or operational issues, such as custodial methods, that are not allowed input from the cast members doing that specific job. There is great open communication between cast members and management, but there is no outlet for any further discussion or possible needed change to actually take place. This is my only criticism. All in all, my job at Disney is my favorite job and was blessed to work for such an amazing company.

Great company for benefits and longevity.

Former Employee - Performer
    Former Employee - Performer

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in a Broadway show, they ran it very professionally, more corporate than other broadway productions

Cons

2 show days on the weekends

Get to know the staff better

Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Various  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Various in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The insurance is decent, the facilities are great, you get to go to Disneyland for free and take three friends.

Cons

The pay tends to be low, there are constant turnovers, layoffs, reorganizations, and downsizings. This has been happening for years.

As a long Time Disney employee, I have seen the company go through many ups and downs. At times it's been great, and I looked forward to driving through the gates every single day. Other times it has felt like a war zone. While the stock price is up currently (along with the rest of the stock market), morale is about as low as it can get right now. There have been periods of times when the management at Disney has treated the employees like family, and like human beings. There were many perks, gifts, swag, and things only employees were allowed to attend or get as an expression of appreciation from the management to the hard work everyone does there. Over the years, Disney has taken almost all of those incentives away, as well as its basic human kindness and goodwill, and has left its workforce exhausted, unappreciated, spiritless, and in constant fear of losing their job. A job that keeps them alive, and pays for their health insurance. I can't imagine a company would get its best work out of a stressed and discouraged workforce who has not felt like a part of the magic in quite a long time. In the last five years, I cannot believe how many people from inside Disney I've seen go on sick leave, quit without a job to go onto, or otherwise become incapacitated and useless in a job setting because of the harsh cultural conditions Disney has decided to adopt on a fairly wide basis. Walking around the studio, I have never seen more people express their unhappiness in open conversation with working at the company, and given the current economic conditions where jobs in entertainment have contracted severely, feel they are stuck in a terrible situation they simply cannot get out of. A cultural shift must take place at Disney where the employee is put first, and not merely considered an afterthought as they often appear to be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Does Not Deserve Top 25 Ranking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Theme park tickets. Seriously, get your experience and then run for the door.

Cons

Non-existent work-life balance. Incompetent lower level executives are championed and retained. HR thinks staff turnover is healthy. A unique company history is not enough to make the top 25 list for culture.

Pay your people above market, not below.

Too corporate for me.

I have been working at Walt Disney Company

Pros

Free entry to Disney Parks.

Cons

Low salary, has a brainwashed feeling to me.

Great career company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Happy, smart people to work with, average pay, pretty good benefits. Beautiful offices to work in. Downtown parking is paid for by the company in Seattle, though that varies from city to city.

Cons

Layoffs happen constantly and it shakes up the morale of the company. Do not work in Disney Interactive, most layoffs seem to come from that division in my experience.

Encourage employees to move up in their career by actively discussing and learning about other groups with open positions.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, main entrance pass and a company that overall exceeds expectations. Some businesses are better than others.

Cons

I expected a corporate environment but the politics are more challenging than expected. I believe the success of the company contributes to a culture where people are afraid to say no. While failure is not an option, nor should it be, I've seen management overpromise and then throw their people under the bus when it was impossible for them to deliver. Avoid certain areas of corporate until the leadership is held accountable for their underperformance.

Take look at your newer initiatives that are under resourced and hold the leaders accountable.

Job security, easy work for the pay, lack of long term opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Machinist  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Machinist in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Union job at Disneyland Resort which means its hard to get fired or laid off without violating safety or conduct policy. The work is extremely easy for the pay. Mostly inspect, remove, and repair or replace parts as needed.

Cons

Because this job is union there will be people who clearly have no place in leadership or the craft at all who cannot be fired. Most people work 3rd shift with days off in the middle of the week and it takes many years to earn seniority to move to 1st shift and/or weekends. I work with men who have been on 3rd shift for 15+ years. Though the work is easy it can get boring when you dont feel like you are being challenged. Also there is no potential for career growth without moving into management once you reach 5 years. Moving beyond entry level management appears to be very selective as well.

Put more trust in your teams. Managers need to be more selective in choosing their leaders and it shouldnt be a popularity contest. The company needs to care as much about making the attractions safe and efficient as it does about putting on a good show. It shouldnt take a guest getting injured to correct a deficiency the technicians informed management about months ago.

great benefits and fellow interns, low pay

Former Employee - Corporate Intern  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Intern in Glendale, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern

Pros

great benefits like commuter assistance (vanpool, carpool), free snacks, discounts. The people that were my level were great to work with! The campus is so amazing, but you'll spend most of your time in your cube. The company is huge and has been in business for a long time. You will learn a massive amount of things from management to technical skills on excel. Offers training classes to interns. There is just so many learning opportunities.

Cons

low pay, stressful environment, "old boys culture" and they don't seem to promote from within. There seems to be bureaucracy to getting things done. It took a while for me to get access to the network. one of the interns didn't even have a desk for a week.

Improve your office culture to improve the turnover rate in your headquarters. There seemed to be a burn out vibe.

Good work & life balance place for decent pay

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walt Disney Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work & life balance. Decent pay. Perks and Movie review is very good.

Quite a lot of different teams and uses almost all kinds of technology you can think of.

Cons

The company is not technical oriented which means the its tech stack is quite messy. The managers are more business oriented than technical oriented. They focus more on the value of the product or service rather than the technical merit.

To attract high-skilled talents, please keep the work more technically interesting and also make the long term vision more clear.

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!