Walt Disney Home Entertainment

Updated Mar 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lori MacPherson

Great people, fun place to work, hard to get promoted

Manager, Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsSuper fun team of people, great atmosphere, and you can generally be proud of what you're working on. Beautiful Burbank campus, obviously the Silver pass which gives access to the theme parks is an amazing benefit and pretty decent health care benefits.

ConsMost studio home entertainment groups are struggling and this one is no different. Trying to remain relevant, not a strong enough focus on digital and a lot of upper management that's been around awhile and aren't innovative enough to remain relevant. In general the company doesn't do much to promote from within nor work hard to keep the super talented employees it has.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've heard it once, you've heard it a million times - you have to leave Disney to get promoted. Value the employees you have, fight hard to keep them from jumping ship for better titles and more pay. Every employee, no matter what level should almost have to re-interview for their jobs every year just to ensure you've got the best people in roles year after year.

From an admin. POV

I have been working at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsThe company is large enough that everyone knows and respects the company.

ConsDue to corporate politics, it's hard to get a promotion in the company unless you apply for a differenent position in another department

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should listen to employees more especially support staff. We are overworked and our concerns are not always concerned in the discusion making process.

Hi Hi Ho off to work we go

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsGreat perks entry to disneyland and sweet promotions that are offered to employees as they come through the pipeline every quarter.

Conscheap cheap cheap but hey they can afford to be cheap as their are 10 people that want your job.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work and go and conquer the world as you expound every day in and day out.

Slave Driver

Glendale, CA

ProsBenefits
Park Admission
Discounts
Well known company
health benefits
gym on site (need to pay)
Healthy food options in common area

ConsPromotions and good reviews are based on being "friends" with management or individuals doing your review. Results in incompetent managers constantly micromanaging and lack of knowledge of how to actually manage employees. Good employees are driven away.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce management training for all employees as well as a check and balance system in order for equal treatment to all.

Work here if you want a settled life.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros* Easy going environment
* Benefits package is very good
* The Disney brand label helps anyones career on a longer run

Cons* No scope for Promotion or career growth
* Lots of employees. The middle level management doesn't move up enough to create spaces for Sr. Engineers

Advice to Senior Management* Reduce the headcount
* Focus on Middle management and set them defined Targets
* Focus on continuous employee development

The Walt Disney Studios is and innovative and creative place to grow a career in the Entertainment Industry

Technology Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsIt is a positive work environment that fosters creativity, innovative use of technologies, and has a strong leadership team. It also creates very positive family oriented entertainment products.

ConsThis isn't really a downside... simply a comment... The Walt Disney Studios, and most of the businesses across Disney expect a lot from their staff members... the hours are long, expectations for performance are high, and the tolarance for mediocracy is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep-up the good work... within the industry I think Disney's leadership has position the company to be at the "top of their game."

Good if you want to earn an easy paycheck or add to your resume.

Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsThe employee benefits and because it looks good on your resume. If you are a parent, this job is very flexible when it comes to balancing work and family life plus you can take your kids to Disneyland free all you want. If you are an average performer just looking for a regular paycheck and not too much hassle, this is a good place to be.

ConsBeing a hard and dependable worker is not good if you want to move up in the company. Anyone who actually does decent work end up being stuck in their same job because the bosses have grown use to that person making up for the weaknesses of the other staff. Sure it can get you a good bit of a raise compared to your co-workers, but it also means it's more difficult to move up. I worked for Disney for five years and every time I asked for a promotion, I just got the run around while my peers were promoted around me. I moved to another studio in the same job and suddenly found myself being promoted right away three months after I was hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a star performer then reward them accordingly. Your actions speak louder than words. If you tell someone they are valued but don't give them the opportunity for career advancement then you risk losing them to a competitor who will.

Great for vacations and movies but sucks to work for.

IT Analyst. (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walt Disney Home Entertainment

ProsGood location and free entry to the theme parks. No free movies though.

ConsI've worked with various fortune 100 multinational companies. Working for Disney is the saddest place to work for. It may be the happiest place to go on vacation but working? I don't think so. Lowest pay as compared to similar companies and career advancement wise, zilch, zero, nada!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention so employee satisfaction. The company employees w/o importance. I've been with the company for almost 10 years and we had layoffs every other year!?! Who needs that!

Magic at work? not always...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Walt Disney Home Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsThe magic, the products, the joy of kids

ConsToo big and sometimes local problems does not pass to the top.

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Walt Disney Home Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Prosdream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world

ConsDownsides does not existe for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Walt Disney Home Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walt Disney Home Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walt Disney Home Entertainment CEO Lori MacPherson. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Walt Disney Home Entertainment employees.