Walter P. Moore and Associates

Good Environment
    Upper mobility opportunities

ConsOccasional long hours
    Field work
    No upper mobolity if non-performing

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company to Work For

Civil Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsThe people and the culture

ConsThe compensation is low for the amount of hours you typically work in one week

Great job, but not great compensation.

Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat projects, excellent coworkers, and extensive training. A wonderful place to learn and grow as an engineer.

ConsFewer and fewer milestone projects. The company is top heavy due to the downturn and this is limiting growth for younger engineers. Compensation and benefits lag behind other companies, particularly after the first couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany great people work for this firm, but some tough business decisions need to be made to ensure it succeeds in the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Women Need Not Apply

ProsLot of the people were really great

ConsRay Messer is a jerk. Women need not apply. If you are not an engineer you are garbage to them. No appreciation for anyone but themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves. The employees are the ones doing the work and earning your huge salaries.

Selfish Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome of the people are good to work with.

ConsIn every single transaction of employee to the company, the company looks to short the employee. They are on the low end of the salary scale. They make you pay travel expenses out of pocket then tale 2-3 weeks to pay you back. Even the 401K (which they do not contribute) they hold your disbursement (my money 2-3 weeks before wiring it to the 401K fund. In addition, I was pressured to work a minimum of 50 hours a week so my utilization would remain constantly over 100%. The day I left it was still at 100%. Then come time for bonuses, oops not enough money for a real bonus. In one year I worked nearly 300 hours of overtime on salary and my bonus was $500. Do the math!
    Too many overhead employees that work 7 hour days while the production people are forced to work 10 hour days.
    Lastly, the location is a problem being downtown, unless your new out of school and live uptown, then it's great.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to reward the people doing the work and cut the non-essential overhead employees that drag on the profitability.

structural summer intern

Structural Summer Intern (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGave me a good amount of varied experience. Went onsite for some really cool projects and learned from seasoned staff. They did give good, critical evaluations at the end of the internship that helped me later on in my career. The company's culture is pretty awesome. I even got a few benefits even as a lowly intern!

ConsMajority of time was spent on shop drawings. No one can declare that as..."exciting experience." The worst part though were the lay-offs of other employees later and knowing I wouldn't be able to become full time later as they only had a handful of projects.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Young guns are selfish!

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic reputation, will do wonders for a resume
    Fair compensation
    Many many good family oriented people
    Many employees who care deeply about doing a good job

ConsGroup of selfish leaders that back stab their way to the top
    A few bad apples -willing to bring the house down
    Down economy brought out the worst in everyone
    Clients find some of the leaders arrogant

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand selfishness while it may producing short-term gain, will bring down an organization

Good opportunities, failing corporate culture

ProsGreat people to work with, the best projects, and a lot of opportunities to learn. The office locations are very good. I go to work every day and enjoy what I do.

ConsThe benefits and pay are not good, I wish they would contribute to 401k.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should truly support the core cultural values.

Great projects, long hours, no upward movement

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat projects, great staff. You get to work on some of the best projects in Houston in the civil group.

ConsThere is almost no room for upward movement if you are a a civil engineer. You get stuck as a project manager and can't advance.

Great culture and strongly believe the firm is will continue to strive toward greatness.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProject variety, diversity, and challenge is second to none.
    Office, technology, and personnel is very good

ConsEmployee validation and recognition doesn't seem to be as high of a priority as it should.
    Life/work balence is often a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and retention plan.

Worked for Walter P. Moore and Associates? Contribute to the Community!