Warnaco Group

Great Place to Work with Many Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Compensation package was fair
    Opportunities existed globally

Cons

Lack of firm leadership & direction
    Operated with the minimum making implementing improvements difficult

Instead of selling the company to PVH they should have grown the company through acquisition(s).

Good people great Teamwork

Former Employee - Junior SAP Basis/Lead Operator in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Junior SAP Basis/Lead Operator in Milford, CT

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Atmosphere was professional, but also great people to work with. Teams worked together to accomplish goals.
    Training was encouraged and offered to increase performance and development.

Cons

Business Politics, availability of funds to expand to meet customer needs

None

Good experience

Former Employee - Laborer in Huntingdon, PA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Huntingdon, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

Busy job, always doing something.

Cons

Working 7 days a week for months at a time

Listen to your employees

It was alright

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

Very open processes. Good co workers. Flexible work hours

Cons

Very lax processes and procedures. Hard to get things done the right way.

They are closed in our area now

Former Contractor - Temp Picker in Duncansville, PA
    Former Contractor - Temp Picker in Duncansville, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The days were predictable at first and the work was consistent and predictable. It was fast paced and kept you busy on your feet all day so the day went faster. I was a temp so most standard employee benefits did not apply to me. Job was pretty simple and straight forward and I was able to work first shift. My daughter's father was also a long time full time employee of the company (9 years plus).

Cons

There were stretches of weeks without a day off and working 9 hour shifts 7 days a week wears you out. The supervisors tended to sit on their butt's shooting the breeze all day but frowned upon anyone who would take more than a too tight amount of time to complete a task. My assignment was ended after I missed too many days for court hearings and then had to take a day for my daughter to be in the hospital. As a single parent that was horrible to have to chose if I go to work and then who cares for my child or do I lose my job and make sure she is ok. You went no where any how and were treated poorly as a temp and you couldn't sit down for even a second. In the final days that this branch was open they really even treated their long term employees horribly.

Thank goodness you are closed. Understand that single parents need one day off now and again. Don't end people's assignments over court days and real health emergencies. Understand that employees are human and not robots.

My experience at Warnaco was very satisfying and I would have stayed forever if the company wasn't sold.

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a comfortable environment, the director of my department trusted me to do my job and but was always available if needed.

Cons

There were a lot of issues with the processing system we used. We were constantly on the phone trying to get the error corrected.

High turnover, terrible management, too many meetings

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and a decent discount on products.

Cons

Management not great within department - found managers to be quite unprofessional. Examples included doing things like participating in and encouraging petty and/or negative gossip, complete disorganization, and constant tardiness. Also, I think one manager had a psychiatric disorder; this person was insanely paranoid and borderline abusive and really contributed to a negative atmosphere. There was a high turnover of employees within this department, and I think the managers really contributed to that. Growth within the company not great. Also the constant town hall meetings, department meetings and various HR-organized gatherings (picnics, ice cream parties, karaoke parties, scavenger hunts, workshops, etc. etc) were quite tiring and time consuming, eating into the time that would have been well spent working on projects. Unfortunately, declining any of these meetings or events was very frowned upon.

Management training would probably help with some of the issues. Psychiatric evaluations for managers not a bad idea either. Also, less meetings would probably help with people being able to meet deadlines.

it was a job that i got to go to every morning for the past 12 years.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i got to learn some new work skills while i was at warnaco,got to know some really good hard working people at warnaco also.

Cons

there was never any down size at warnaco,because we all got along,there was one down size at warnaco and that was when we all lost our jobs.

upper management was pretty good, because they were aways there for the employees when they needed any help with any issues.

terrible working conditions

Former Contractor - Picker in Duncansville, PA
    Former Contractor - Picker in Duncansville, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

it almost payed the bills

Cons

low pay, lack of hours

pay more

A couple years ago it was really bad to work here...slowly improved from 1 star to 2.5 stars

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Occasional free samples

2) Decent salary & benefits...however, I suspect that this will be downgraded somewhat now that WSG was bought out by PVH Corp (Rumor has it that WSG was actually more generous with compensation).

3) Half-day Friday's in the summertime (however, you can only enjoy this perk if excessive, last minute projects are not dumped on you).

4) Within the last 1-1.5 years, many of the horrible managers/superviors/director were fired and replaced with (some) better management team members. It helps to finally be able to come to work knowing that there are nicer & approachable leaders. This was absolutely not the case when I was first hired 6 years ago.

Cons

1) False sense of security. After 3 months of starting work at this company, major layoffs took place. From there, layoff's were taking place every year and just about every quarter. I was lucky to have survived all layoff's until WSG was officially bought out by PVH Corp earlier this year.

2) NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE. This, of course, depends on which department you work in and what kind of supervisor you work under. In my personal experience, I had supervisor who was ironically approachable and "nice to your face", but showed absolutely no respect when it came to anyone's time (examples: had a horrible habit of interrupting you while your trying to get work done, would schedule "lunch" meetings, but always too cheap to provide lunch...and my "favorite", this person would start lengthy meetings when it was actually time for me to leave and catch my train). She did ultimately learn to stop with the late meetings (and that's because we had it out during an HR intervention plus I rubbed it in again when she gave me a bad employee review). Ultimately, this kind of supervisor played a huge role in regards to me hating my job during the time I had to work under him/her. If I had skills in "sucking up to the boss" like most corporate drones do, then this probably wouldn't have been a problem.

3) At one point, all of the upper management team members were are all brand new and completely clueless with process, product or basic etiquette (there was a director who saw no wrong in YELLING at the top of his/her lungs at his/her subordinates...and would do this in plain view or audible distance. It took years for HR to recognize this as an actual problem and finally fired this person).

In general, most managers were much too focused on finding ways to feed their own egos while feeding their subordinates with petty criticisms/down talking. After berating you for everything that you did wrong, most would turn around and preach the usual script, "...don't take it personal, it's business and you're doing a good job." Seriously, what kind of reverse-psychological-mind-game is this suppose to be?!

4) There is a very small number of coworkers are actually trustworthy and worth having friendships with. Do take this with a grain of salt as this is my personal opinion....however, I've had the pleasure to witness some really poor habits from most of the fellow, non-management staff who genuinely do not offer one another any real respect (i.e. will cut you off when you are still talking, do not clean up after themselves in common areas such as print stations, kitchen or restrooms.) Also, far too many people spend too much time with whining/complaining about things, yet, will not offer any creative solutions to fix the problem... or they will spend hours contributing to petty gossip than actually working.

(P.S. Jim Gerson has been the president of the swim division since around 2010, not Martha Olson)

Being that you guys are the prime examples of what a "team member"is suppose to be, I suppose if most of you could get that ego of yours in check, stop micro-managing and maybe learn how to be a decent human being that it might help boost morale and productivity amongst your team. After all, you are not in the business of making pacemakers nor are you in a line of work that saves lives. It just a swimsuit.