Warnaco Group Reviews

Reset
3.6
Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey
Helen McCluskey

1. Wonderful place to be!

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Over 20 years walking through those doors to my other family. Warnaco worked hard to give a great atmosphere to their employees. High Level employee's were not afraid to get their hands dirty and dig in the trenches along side anyone. Great work/life balance and awesome people to work with. Teams within departments worked with teams in other departments for one common goal. HR department consistently worked hard at coming up with new incentives/fun activities and better benifits. Sad that they made the decision to sell.

Cons

There of course are always cons, but really not big enough to input here. The cons would be relevant to the person and/or situation.

Advice to Management

No advice to give. Company no longer exist. I will say, 95% of Management was always available, always knew your name, most knew the value you gave to the company.

2. Was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great Benefits, pay and opportunity for advancement. Was a great time in my career, best move I ever made.

Cons

Company acquired by a competitor, many people lost their jobs, local office shut down. Wish it could have lasted longer.

Advice to Management

Very approachable, people could approach the CEO no matter what level they were and many were known by name. Fairly big company with a small company feel

3. Great Place to Work with Many Opportunities

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance Compensation package was fair Opportunities existed globally

Cons

Lack of firm leadership & direction Operated with the minimum making implementing improvements difficult

Advice to Management

Instead of selling the company to PVH they should have grown the company through acquisition(s).

5. Good people great Teamwork

Former Employee - Junior SAP Basis/Lead Operator in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Junior SAP Basis/Lead Operator in Milford, CT

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Atmosphere was professional, but also great people to work with. Teams worked together to accomplish goals. Training was encouraged and offered to increase performance and development.

Cons

Business Politics, availability of funds to expand to meet customer needs

Advice to Management

None

6. Good experience

Former Employee - Laborer in Huntingdon, PA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Huntingdon, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

Busy job, always doing something.

Cons

Working 7 days a week for months at a time

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

7. It was alright

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

Very open processes. Good co workers. Flexible work hours

Cons

Very lax processes and procedures. Hard to get things done the right way.

8. My experience at Warnaco was very satisfying and I would have stayed forever if the company wasn't sold.

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a comfortable environment, the director of my department trusted me to do my job and but was always available if needed.

Cons

There were a lot of issues with the processing system we used. We were constantly on the phone trying to get the error corrected.

High turnover, terrible management, too many meetings

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and a decent discount on products.

Cons

Management not great within department - found managers to be quite unprofessional. Examples included doing things like participating in and encouraging petty and/or negative gossip, complete disorganization, and constant tardiness. Also, I think one manager had a psychiatric disorder; this person was insanely paranoid and borderline abusive and really contributed to a negative atmosphere. There was a high turnover of employees within this department, and I think the managers really contributed to that. Growth within the company not great. Also the constant town hall meetings, department meetings and various HR-organized gatherings (picnics, ice cream parties, karaoke parties, scavenger hunts, workshops, etc. etc) were quite tiring and time consuming, eating into the time that would have been well spent working on projects. Unfortunately, declining any of these meetings or events was very frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Management training would probably help with some of the issues. Psychiatric evaluations for managers not a bad idea either. Also, less meetings would probably help with people being able to meet deadlines.

10. it was a job that i got to go to every morning for the past 12 years.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i got to learn some new work skills while i was at warnaco,got to know some really good hard working people at warnaco also.

Cons

there was never any down size at warnaco,because we all got along,there was one down size at warnaco and that was when we all lost our jobs.

Advice to Management

upper management was pretty good, because they were aways there for the employees when they needed any help with any issues.

11. A couple years ago it was really bad to work here...slowly improved from 1 star to 2.5 stars

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Occasional free samples 2) Decent salary & benefits...however, I suspect that this will be downgraded somewhat now that WSG was bought out by PVH Corp (Rumor has it that WSG was actually more generous with compensation). 3) Half-day Friday's in the summertime (however, you can only enjoy this perk if excessive, last minute projects are not dumped on you). 4) Within the last 1-1.5 years, many of the horrible managers/superviors/director were fired and replaced with (some) better management team members. It helps to finally be able to come to work knowing that there are nicer & approachable leaders. This was absolutely not the case when I was first hired 6 years ago.

Cons

1) False sense of security. After 3 months of starting work at this company, major layoffs took place. From there, layoff's were taking place every year and just about every quarter. I was lucky to have survived all layoff's until WSG was officially bought out by PVH Corp earlier this year. 2) NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE. This, of course, depends on which department you work in and what kind of supervisor you work under. In my personal experience, I had supervisor who was ironically approachable and "nice to your face", but showed absolutely no respect when it came to anyone's time (examples: had a horrible habit of interrupting you while your trying to get work done, would schedule "lunch" meetings, but always too cheap to provide lunch...and my "favorite", this person would start lengthy meetings when it was actually time for me to leave and catch my train). She did ultimately learn to stop with the late meetings (and that's because we had it out during an HR intervention plus I rubbed it in again when she gave me a bad employee review). Ultimately, this kind of supervisor played a huge role in regards to me hating my job during the time I had to work under him/her. If I had skills in "sucking up to the boss" like most corporate drones do, then this probably wouldn't have been a problem. 3) At one point, all of the upper management team members were are all brand new and completely clueless with process, product or basic etiquette (there was a director who saw no wrong in YELLING at the top of his/her lungs at his/her subordinates...and would do this in plain view or audible distance. It took years for HR to recognize this as an actual problem and finally fired this person). In general, most managers were much too focused on finding ways to feed their own egos while feeding their subordinates with petty criticisms/down talking. After berating you for everything that you did wrong, most would turn around and preach the usual script, "...don't take it personal, it's business and you're doing a good job." Seriously, what kind of reverse-psychological-mind-game is this suppose to be?! 4) There is a very small number of coworkers are actually trustworthy and worth having friendships with. Do take this with a grain of salt as this is my personal opinion....however, I've had the pleasure to witness some really poor habits from most of the fellow, non-management staff who genuinely do not offer one another any real respect (i.e. will cut you off when you are still talking, do not clean up after themselves in common areas such as print stations, kitchen or restrooms.) Also, far too many people spend too much time with whining/complaining about things, yet, will not offer any creative solutions to fix the problem... or they will spend hours contributing to petty gossip than actually working. (P.S. Jim Gerson has been the president of the swim division since around 2010, not Martha Olson)

Advice to Management

Being that you guys are the prime examples of what a "team member"is suppose to be, I suppose if most of you could get that ego of yours in check, stop micro-managing and maybe learn how to be a decent human being that it might help boost morale and productivity amongst your team. After all, you are not in the business of making pacemakers nor are you in a line of work that saves lives. It just a swimsuit.

RSS Feed </> Embed