Warnaco Group

Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey

Helen McCluskey

terrible working conditions

Picker (Former Employee) Duncansville, PA

Prosit almost payed the bills

Conslow pay, lack of hours

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

This company is a complete disaster.

ProsHigh profile brands are well known. However quality is going down hill fast. Thanks Helen.

ConsSenior management and CEO continue to make changes that do not add value to the company. Mass exodus of designers in key Calvin Klein businesses including the VP Design for Jeans, and almost all of the designers for CK underwear will hurt the biggest revenue generators for Warnaco. I will encourage investors to evaluate Helen's performance and her failure when it comes to dismissing loyal employees with strong performance for her own short term gain. Investors beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelen should quit along with the rest of the multi-millionaires on black carpet. If employees knew the huge bonuses and huge salaries of black carpet, they would start to question the massive cuts and terminations of long - term employees. Loyalty and hard work are not rewarded at Warnaco. Failure and having sexual relations with other staff is rewarded - go figure.

Not the company to work for if you're looking for a promotion

ProsGreat benefits, summer fridays, discounts on ck jeans and underwear, and that's about it.

ConsLike I mentioned in the heading..if you're looking to work in a corporate company because you want to grow in your career and climb up that corporate ladder, well this is not the place for you. In my many years here, I've seen only 1 person get promoted. Managers are incompetent, and your yearly reviews mean nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should really learn to appreciate their team. A lot of the lower level positioned employees do majority of the work, while the vp's take the credit. They need to start being leaders, and cut out all the time spent on gossiping.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Backwards company

Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe only good thing is that you get free clothes.

Cons-politics, politics, politics. Very outdated way of thinking. Incompetent management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and do some real work for once.

High turnover, terrible management, too many meetings

Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits and a decent discount on products.

ConsManagement not great within department - found managers to be quite unprofessional. Examples included doing things like participating in and encouraging petty and/or negative gossip, complete disorganization, and constant tardiness. Also, I think one manager had a psychiatric disorder; this person was insanely paranoid and borderline abusive and really contributed to a negative atmosphere. There was a high turnover of employees within this department, and I think the managers really contributed to that. Growth within the company not great. Also the constant town hall meetings, department meetings and various HR-organized gatherings (picnics, ice cream parties, karaoke parties, scavenger hunts, workshops, etc. etc) were quite tiring and time consuming, eating into the time that would have been well spent working on projects. Unfortunately, declining any of these meetings or events was very frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training would probably help with some of the issues. Psychiatric evaluations for managers not a bad idea either. Also, less meetings would probably help with people being able to meet deadlines.

No winder it was bought out by PVH

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat brands, lots of potential

ConsBad management and work atmosphere. All different brands were so isolated from each other and there was no team spirit. All workers including management talked about each other, it made it hard to build relationships and trust your colleagues. There was no monthly reviews or meetings at all with the head of different sectors, my senior said to me before "sure no one knows what they are doing, its about figuring it" when I asked for guidance on a project. There was also nowhere to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate better. Build a better atmosphere so workers like coming into work. Stop talking about employees when others are in earshot. Organise regular meetings and assessments.

Loosen up on the Strings

Pros- Good Benefits
    - Hours that allowed for a decent work-life balance
    - Nice, helpful, respectful, team-oriented co-workers

Cons- Compensation is below fair market value - even amidst a down market

- Low morale

- 360 performance reviews where employees rate superiors appeared to be just a front since the data collected on surveys were only filed away with no serious consideration or thoughts into improvements.

- Company does not manage expectations with regards to roles and responsibilities that are communicated. Many additional demands and expectations were made up along the way, further widening the gap between job description and compensation. Role became a "catch all" for all the tasks that sales, marketing and design teams no longer wanted to be bothered with.

- Company was reluctant in embracing much needed newer technology and used antiquated internal sales, product and data programs that were probably relevant in the 1980's. No exaggeration by asking you to conjure up images of "DOS." Standard unnecessary printing of vast reports led to excessive waste of paper and resources.

- HR personnel could use more discretion and professionalism with regards to the manner in which they talk about the hardest working employees behind closed doors with personal information they've been entrusted with.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive leadership, needs to trust their management teams enough to give them room to breath. I did not hold a management level position, but was a firsthand witness to how resistant the executive leadership was in loosening up on the reigns on their management teams. This stranglehold naturally trickled down to all the other levels in the hierarchy.

There is such a thing as too many meetings. Don't disrespect your employees by ALWAYS calling them during their much needed vacations or personal time off (ie. birth of a child) for nonsense issues that don't constitute as emergencies. This is an absolute no no and in fact calls into question your ability to lead.

Focused on creating his legacy.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWarnaco Group offers brand recognition and a great place to gain experience in the apparel industry. There is a team oriented environment that provides great exposure to a variety of different fucntions and business. Its a good place to start a career.

ConsSome of the downsides of working for Warnaco is its philosphy and practices in supporting any shared service function. There is rarely a committment to invest in or upgrade any type of infrastructure to improve back office efficiences and often not enough people to manually perform the job. Although improvement has been seen over the past 3 years, engagement survey scores are still below average and after the last round of deep layoffs, I expect that number will get worse. Leadership tends to be secretive which creates a very gossip and speculation infused environment. Reward and recognition is NON EXISTENT and poor performance is not managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListent to employees and take seriously the feedback you receive. Get rid of senior managers that eat up alot of salary and don't earn a days worth of work. Fill the board room with leaders who have the courage to stand up to the CEO.

They are closed in our area now

Temp Picker (Former Employee) Duncansville, PA

ProsThe days were predictable at first and the work was consistent and predictable. It was fast paced and kept you busy on your feet all day so the day went faster. I was a temp so most standard employee benefits did not apply to me. Job was pretty simple and straight forward and I was able to work first shift. My daughter's father was also a long time full time employee of the company (9 years plus).

ConsThere were stretches of weeks without a day off and working 9 hour shifts 7 days a week wears you out. The supervisors tended to sit on their butt's shooting the breeze all day but frowned upon anyone who would take more than a too tight amount of time to complete a task. My assignment was ended after I missed too many days for court hearings and then had to take a day for my daughter to be in the hospital. As a single parent that was horrible to have to chose if I go to work and then who cares for my child or do I lose my job and make sure she is ok. You went no where any how and were treated poorly as a temp and you couldn't sit down for even a second. In the final days that this branch was open they really even treated their long term employees horribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank goodness you are closed. Understand that single parents need one day off now and again. Don't end people's assignments over court days and real health emergencies. Understand that employees are human and not robots.

I learned a lot and got some great opportunities

Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsVery poor leadership and management

Worked for Warnaco Group? Contribute to the Community!