Warnaco Swimwear

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Jim Gerson

Continues to be an invigorating challenging and educational organization with a welcoming corporate environment.

Production Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat corporate environment, focussed on challenging your mind as well as your body. Excellent management group open to share and help mentor personnel. Upper management fosters open door policy.

ConsThe down town location is a challenge to get to and being in a high-rise with many other companies is a constant task for parking and vendor access. All the security that comes with being in alive studio facility limits free access to grounds. Lunch options are 15 min walk away.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep personnel in the loop to foster a greater sense of team.

A couple years ago it was really bad to work here...slowly improved from 1 star to 2.5 stars

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros1) Occasional free samples

2) Decent salary & benefits...however, I suspect that this will be downgraded somewhat now that WSG was bought out by PVH Corp (Rumor has it that WSG was actually more generous with compensation).

3) Half-day Friday's in the summertime (however, you can only enjoy this perk if excessive, last minute projects are not dumped on you).

4) Within the last 1-1.5 years, many of the horrible managers/superviors/director were fired and replaced with (some) better management team members. It helps to finally be able to come to work knowing that there are nicer & approachable leaders. This was absolutely not the case when I was first hired 6 years ago.

Cons1) False sense of security. After 3 months of starting work at this company, major layoffs took place. From there, layoff's were taking place every year and just about every quarter. I was lucky to have survived all layoff's until WSG was officially bought out by PVH Corp earlier this year.

2) NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE. This, of course, depends on which department you work in and what kind of supervisor you work under. In my personal experience, I had supervisor who was ironically approachable and "nice to your face", but showed absolutely no respect when it came to anyone's time (examples: had a horrible habit of interrupting you while your trying to get work done, would schedule "lunch" meetings, but always too cheap to provide lunch...and my "favorite", this person would start lengthy meetings when it was actually time for me to leave and catch my train). She did ultimately learn to stop with the late meetings (and that's because we had it out during an HR intervention plus I rubbed it in again when she gave me a bad employee review). Ultimately, this kind of supervisor played a huge role in regards to me hating my job during the time I had to work under him/her. If I had skills in "sucking up to the boss" like most corporate drones do, then this probably wouldn't have been a problem.

3) At one point, all of the upper management team members were are all brand new and completely clueless with process, product or basic etiquette (there was a director who saw no wrong in YELLING at the top of his/her lungs at his/her subordinates...and would do this in plain view or audible distance. It took years for HR to recognize this as an actual problem and finally fired this person).

In general, most managers were much too focused on finding ways to feed their own egos while feeding their subordinates with petty criticisms/down talking. After berating you for everything that you did wrong, most would turn around and preach the usual script, "...don't take it personal, it's business and you're doing a good job." Seriously, what kind of reverse-psychological-mind-game is this suppose to be?!

4) There is a very small number of coworkers are actually trustworthy and worth having friendships with. Do take this with a grain of salt as this is my personal opinion....however, I've had the pleasure to witness some really poor habits from most of the fellow, non-management staff who genuinely do not offer one another any real respect (i.e. will cut you off when you are still talking, do not clean up after themselves in common areas such as print stations, kitchen or restrooms.) Also, far too many people spend too much time with whining/complaining about things, yet, will not offer any creative solutions to fix the problem... or they will spend hours contributing to petty gossip than actually working.

(P.S. Jim Gerson has been the president of the swim division since around 2010, not Martha Olson)

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing that you guys are the prime examples of what a "team member"is suppose to be, I suppose if most of you could get that ego of yours in check, stop micro-managing and maybe learn how to be a decent human being that it might help boost morale and productivity amongst your team. After all, you are not in the business of making pacemakers nor are you in a line of work that saves lives. It just a swimsuit.

Hard work and effort rarely recognized, upper management is completely disconnected from the product.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood Pay, 2 free personal days

ConsOnly 1/8th the office actually works a 40hr work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather an idea to ponder: Why would a company president be promoted after having completely ignored and allowed one of the two brands he was responsible for to fail?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From over 400 employees in 2005 to under 120 in 2011 . Need I say more

(Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits. Summer half day Friday's are great

ConsTypical large corporate environment. Its not about doing a good job. its about making sure the right people hear about that good job your doing. Work environment was much friendlier when there were 400 employees. The 120 left are under too much pressure and only concerned about keeping their jobs.
    Annual performance reviews are a joke and huge timewaister for everyone involved.
    No room for advancement. Other than managers and executives who there are much to much of, most regular employess have given up hope that anything will change and are just going through the motions.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the present annual review system. It doesnt work, and just creates unecessary stress.
    Stop buying doughnuts for your group. Making them fat doesnt make them happy.
    Be honest wtih your groups, dont promise what cant be delivered.

Amazing responsibilities but limited growth potential.

Sales Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company and amazing peers and management.

ConsInability to promote fairly from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

Warnaco Swimwear and its pros/cons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-occasion long hours but not often compared to other apparel companies in the fashion industry due to only having one season (swimwear)
    -Great Summer hours on fridays - half days
    -Excellent employee discounts on speedo/ck swimwear and ck underwear, jeans.
    -Cool downtown location, cafeteria and with parking incl.
    -fantastic benefits
    -company matching 401-k

Cons-Horrible management
    -limited room for growth
    -Departments do not communicate with each other
    -bad company morale
    -very small team with a lot of unnecessary higher-ups macro-managing.

Advice to Senior Management-Structured system where employees are recognized, praised and appreciated often.
    -Opportunities given to employees for growth, or at the least, decent raises annually very much needed to keep employees loyal and dedicated to job/brand.
    -More diversity among employees

Worked for Warnaco Swimwear? Contribute to the Community!