Warner/Chappell

www.warnerchappell.com

Warner/Chappell Reviews

3.9

Cameron Strang

Fun atmosphere, even better leadership at the top.

Former Employee - Administrator, Royalties in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator, Royalties in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Warner/Chappell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Warner/Chappell is an excellent employer. You definitely have job security here, and there are people who have worked there for 20+ years. They also give great year-end bonuses. I'm not sure if this applies to all employees, but I was really able to make my own hours and be able to miss traffic both ways of commuting.

Cons

Salaries are not as high as other companies (Universal, Sony, etc.). Honestly, it was a small reason as to why I left. It didn't affect me personally, but with people below me, I could tell that it really affected their motivation and definitely made them the "clock in, do work, clock out" kind of employees.

Great atmosphere and great leadership at the top

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Warner/Chappell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team of people and a great overall Company to work for. The benefits are fantastic and the work atmosphere if professional but relaxed. There is a common shared passion to represent the company and all of its various artists and clients.

Cons

Tough to advance both within departments or across the company. Limited opportunity to advance as mid management tends not to take applicants from within or from outside of their respective label or department.

Take a cue from Senior management and promote from within and from other departments.

intern

I have been working at Warner/Chappell as an intern

Pros

- great staff
    - a lot of busy work

Cons

i have none at the moment

One of the best

Former Employee - Rep
    Former Employee - Rep

I worked at Warner/Chappell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

experience, opportunities, networking, exciting projects, traveling, the events

Cons

long hours, the day to day grind, no life, stability, expectation

provide more opportunities for career growth

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Warner/Chappell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice place to work, good people

Cons

hard to move around to other dept if entry level

none

Amazing first internship experience with lots of educational value

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Warner/Chappell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Warner/Chappell truly appreciates its interns. This is not a "pick up dry cleaning" or "coffee run" kind of experience; interns get a hands-on educational experience in the music industry. Their many departments work together smoothly and don't mind showing an intern in another department what they do in order for the student to get a rounded experience!

Cons

Job possibilities seem limited in the company, but they seem very willing to introduce you to the right people to help you.

Come meet your interns! Even in a formal setting, it's always nice to hear from the upper management.

Best possible company in the music industry

Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Warner/Chappell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company run like a family. Absolutely no politics. Extremely dedicated staff of long-time music publishing experts.

Cons

Association with WMG negatively impacts Warner/Chappell.

big pubco sufering from the overall (self-inflicted) suffering of analog industry in a digital age

Former Employee - Manager, Contract Administration in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Contract Administration in New York, NY

I worked at Warner/Chappell

Pros

1. got to be involved in contracts for some amazingly creative artists, current and past
    2. got to really stretch my ability to understand contract law (I am not a lawyer)
    3. got to hold the politics at arm's length, for the most part
    4. huge, remarkable catalog
    5. great stories about the early days from folks who were still around when I was there

Cons

1. like the industry, the company had plenty of senior staff who did not grow up with a digital lifestyle and the real problem was that their (understandable) sense of having their livelihood threatened made them very stupid, for far too long.
    2. I saw, again at senior levels, such contempt for the artist and the fans, it was really shocking too me (especially as I trained as an artist myself)
    3. unbelievably petty attitudes spread throughout the company - not sure why, to be honest.
    4. naive corporate decision-making that only focused on shareholder - shareholders are not the most important entities in a company., especially a company that sells art.

not sure - money is important, but morale and treating everyone with respect. can help you make money. maybe things are like that now.

My work experience at Warner/Chappell was rewarding and an excellent preview into the life in the entertainment industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Warner/Chappell

Pros

The company is really transparent in that any employee has the opportunity to interact with upper management; there is not too much hierarchical power distribution at this company.

Cons

The pay is not as competitive as other companies in the entertainment industry; therefore, sometimes you get the sense that employees aren't as motivated to go above and beyond with their work.

Find an innovative way to motivate every employee in the office so that they feel excited about every project they take on.

If you have two job offers, one at this company and one at another, I'd take the other one!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Warner/Chappell

Pros

I guess there are some positives. For instance, the benefits package is pretty good, as are the summer hours and the break between Christmas and New Years. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere which allows a very relaxed dress code, and there aren't many urgent deadlines requiring one to drop everything to complete that one. There might be a few live performances from up and coming artists and writers for all employees to enjoy. So far, overtime is available as it helps for extra income. There's also a foosball table and a TV with cable to blow off steam during breaks, or to enjoy all day long instead of doin work if the state of the company is pissing you off enough.

Cons

There are numerous. Once you establish a rapport with enough people, you will soon realize that you'll be in the same boat as most people when the time comes when you're sick of the job: You're not the only one looking elsewhere to work. Unless you sleep with the right people, promotions are few and far between and raises don't occur annually. Anyone who knows anything about economics would tell you that if you don't even get that standard of living increase, you're getting a pay cut. There are way too much BS politics, and even though it's easy to be cordial with almost everyone, it still feels like high school. The bullies don't stick your head in the toilet; they just give off this heir of superiority for no reason. Through the years, they've taken away perks gradually. If you want to one day be under-appreciated and exclaim to yourself, "of all companies I could have worked for, I just happened to end up at the one that did NOT give annual raises, took forever (if ever) to promote, and kept me in a state of stagnation while all my peers in various industries have progressed significantly in their respective fields!", I highly recommend seeking employment here.

The first raise in July in, like 3 years, was 3 years too late.