Washington DC Government

www.dc.gov

Washington DC Government Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 11, 2014
Washington DC Government – Washington – “Washington D.C Gov”

Pros
  • The best thing here is job security(in 6 reviews)

• Decent salary/benefits and training(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No one knows what the other person is doing(in 2 reviews)

• Small office and a lot of work to do for a small amount of people(in 2 reviews)

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So much potential, but yet to be realized

Chief Performance Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere is a great deal of opportunity for talented individuals to advance within the DC Government. There are also many opportunities to experience things in a more comprehensive, yet compressed fashion than in the private sector. I think that working in DC Government is a great segue for consulting. Great working environment and good for relationship building.

ConsUnstable leadership, lack of overall vision and strategic direction, no real focus on bottom lines. Sometimes, it can be difficult and frustrating to navigate through egos.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on professional development and investing in staff that show potential and promise. Figure out more effective ways to recruit and retain high quality talent that who is actually vested in the organization's mission. Communicate better and figure out ways to eliminate redundancy and not operate in silos.

Inexperienced Management

Administrative Law Judge (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsJob security and benefits with regular hours

ConsManagement interfers in legal decisions with politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not sabotage legal determinations

The Worst Experience I've Ever Had

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMany salaries are inline with private industry.

ConsMost executive level employees are inexperienced and lack the necessary skills to create positive, strong work environments. Finding executive level employees with ethical barometers is difficult. There is too much political interference in program matters. I experienced numerous, human resource errors that cost me time and money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to lead and manage; Communicate with and treat your employees with respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was an invaluable experience that

Human Resources (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you're a problem solver, you get a chance to solve some serious problems and immediately see the impact of your resolutions.

ConsThere's is just not enough bandwidth or support or wiggle-room within policy to solve these problems....CREATIVELY.

The freeze on hiring and promotions is really taxing...it has become a deterrent for performance reviews and overall productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict employees work for the people (their family, neighbors, friends, etc.)....remind them of their mission at every task...it's the ONLY way to get the job done and done well.

Very Good

Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsBenefits provided, working conditions, people you work with.

Conssometimes lack of fair practices by management

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people the way you want to be treated

My experience has allowed me to learn how thankless my position is within the District

Police Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe benefits and the retirement packages

ConsThe Criminal Justice system is quite liberal and due justice is a rarity in the city

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a management school that each person must attend prior to beginning their position. As middle management rises to upper management the same should apply.

Little opportunity for professional development and growth!!!!

Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI had the opportunity to work with some very competent and dedicated individuals.

ConsLeadership had the tendency to "talk the talk". They spent time saying exactly what they thought people wanted to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

A challenging position managing 12 very diverse agencies for the Mayor

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFast pace addressing critical constituent needs

ConsThe pace is never ending and often must be the voice which tells consumers no

Advice to Senior ManagementNone...they provide great support to the Office and the challenges it faces.

I was hired for a 6 month contact. After one month I was told that the job was part-time,and I would work 2 days a week

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOn paper, thing looks good

ConsNo one knows what the other person is doing

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that job descriptions includes all details.

A wonderful group of professionals!

OCTO Worker (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA super friendly work environment.

ConsI, frankly, cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore DC Gov FT Positions.

Worked for Washington DC Government? Contribute to the Community!