Washington Department of Health

3.1
CEO

1. Good state job

I have been working at Washington Department of Health full-time

Pros

Decent state job. It's my first government job, so I don't have much to compare it to personally, but I like it and I've heard from others that there's a lot worse places to be.

Cons

Typical state job in the fact that people tend to complain about things that don't matter.

2. Program manager

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Work is not always balanced between staff.

Advice to Management

Balance the work

3. Great place to work

Former Employee - Epidemiologist II in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - Epidemiologist II in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lean practices to organize workflow and cut down on wasted time Good benefits Fantastic management team - I always felt well-supported at all levels I felt I was a valuable asset to the wheel of public health in WA State Never a dull moment -- there were always tasks to do, and we were always busy Supportive public health community, and interested legislators and public made the job more interesting

Cons

Because of budget, we could have used a couple more epidemiologists to get all of our work done in a timely manner. They scare you out of ever checking your personal email or looking at the web for anything, even during lunch break. Wi-fi only available on DOH-issued laptops

5. HSC 1

Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Olympia, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers. They are really easy to get along with. The work was at times a little challenging as I worked a brand new profession that was being credentialed.

Cons

I personally wasn't kept busy enough. I know that most people would tell you their work loads were through the roof, however mine was not. I was triple checking work.

6. Current Employee

Current Employee - Program Manager in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Olympia, WA

Pros

Forward thinking, innovative work, good benefits

Cons

Typical bureaucratic structure, limited advancement, technologically behind the times

Advice to Management

Work to realign old job classifications to current day needs, create better pathways for advancement, work to be competitive in compensation

7. Fulfilling work

Pros

Exciting and dynamic work place at times. Great feeling serving the public. Able to gain firsthand experience on the front line of Public Health on local and national level.

Cons

Limited job and salary growth. Budgets and pay can be impacted by lack of political will in state legislature. Poor HR. Diminishing Benefits.

Advice to Management

More focus should be placed on strengthening strategy for retaining and growing good internal talent while also removing chronic poor or problematic employees. Need to decentralize administration more including enabling and supporting stronger leadership in departmental and middle management levels.

8. Public health - great work, with some growing pains

I have been working at Washington Department of Health full-time

Pros

Interesting work that feels truly connected to the community; committed, passionate coworkers; caring environment where people look out for each other

Cons

Weak technical management. There is more talent among the staff than is being effectively used, and work often ends up being inefficient or misdirected due to lack of focused oversight.

Advice to Management

Find ways to respond to feedback from staff at all levels

9. Some good coworkers but crazy making management

Former Employee - Program Manager in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tumwater is a lovely city Nice office buildings Staff can be supportive of each other The sense of satisfaction from public service

Cons

Leadership was oblivious to impacts of their inconsistency and lack of professionalism. Skill doesn't dictate who gets assignments, nepotism does Policies work when followed, a lack of consistency in following written policies It can be a machine with no soul that runs people over

Advice to Management

Follow policy in management practices This review is not a criticism of older managers in general because I've had some excellent ones. Age can bring skill and wisdom. My short term experience with the particular department of DOH that I dealt with prompted me to resign. An older manager ran a department in a way that was allowed 20 years ago but shockingly unprofessional in this day. Processes and procedures in a government agency get ironed out for a reason and for the protection of all involved in a workplace. Managers that call employees on weekends, after hours, asking inappropriate personal questions and demanding work get done during a holiday isn't just about a strong work ethic but a manager that doesn't understand appropriate professional boundaries. In my experience: communication wasn't clear, the expectation was a moving target and the employee got blamed for managements lack of clarity. DOH is big, there are MANY programs, among them are excellent and well run programs. In my case I would be very careful and look for red flags in the interview process. There were red flags about a lack of professionalism which I initially ignored and it cost me professionally. My interaction with DOH actually hurt my career

10. :(

Former Employee - HSC1 in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - HSC1 in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People!! Supportive, family environment. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Government politics. Little to no feedback. Expectations are not clear. Repetitious, tedious work. Some supervisors clearly played favorites but most were extremely fair and nonbiased.

Advice to Management

(This only pertains to my specific situation) Please allow more open communication so that the employee knows if he/she is not meeting an expectation. Letting someone go after probationary period due to "not meeting expectations" is highly unfair (and quite vague) if there was no communication throughout the probationary period that those expectations were not being met. Give the employee a chance to change and make improvements. Most of us want to meet and exceed the goals presented to us.

11. Department of Health

Current Employee - Environmental Health in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - Environmental Health in Tumwater, WA

I have been working at Washington Department of Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, treated with respect.

Cons

Flat at the top of pay scale. Public sector jobs are not prospering.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovation.

RSS Feed </> Embed