Washington Department of Health

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.8

CEO

Public health - great work, with some growing pains

I have been working at Washington Department of Health full-time

Pros

Interesting work that feels truly connected to the community; committed, passionate coworkers; caring environment where people look out for each other

Cons

Weak technical management. There is more talent among the staff than is being effectively used, and work often ends up being inefficient or misdirected due to lack of focused oversight.

Find ways to respond to feedback from staff at all levels

Some good coworkers but crazy making management

Former Employee - Program Manager in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tumwater is a lovely city
    Nice office buildings
    Staff can be supportive of each other
    The sense of satisfaction from public service

Cons

Leadership was oblivious to impacts of their inconsistency and lack of professionalism.
    Skill doesn't dictate who gets assignments, nepotism does
    Policies work when followed, a lack of consistency in following written policies
    It can be a machine with no soul that runs people over

Follow policy in management practices
    This review is not a criticism of older managers in general because I've had some excellent ones. Age can bring skill and wisdom. My short term experience with the particular department of DOH that I dealt with prompted me to resign. An older manager ran a department in a way that was allowed 20 years ago but shockingly unprofessional in this day. Processes and procedures in a government agency get ironed out for a reason and for the protection of all involved in a workplace.

Managers that call employees on weekends, after hours, asking inappropriate personal questions and demanding work get done during a holiday isn't just about a strong work ethic but a manager that doesn't understand appropriate professional boundaries.
      In my experience: communication wasn't clear, the expectation was a moving target and the employee got blamed for managements lack of clarity. DOH is big, there are MANY programs, among them are excellent and well run programs. In my case I would be very careful and look for red flags in the interview process. There were red flags about a lack of professionalism which I initially ignored and it cost me professionally. My interaction with DOH actually hurt my career

Former Employee - HSC1 in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - HSC1 in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People!! Supportive, family environment. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Government politics. Little to no feedback. Expectations are not clear. Repetitious, tedious work. Some supervisors clearly played favorites but most were extremely fair and nonbiased.

(This only pertains to my specific situation) Please allow more open communication so that the employee knows if he/she is not meeting an expectation. Letting someone go after probationary period due to "not meeting expectations" is highly unfair (and quite vague) if there was no communication throughout the probationary period that those expectations were not being met. Give the employee a chance to change and make improvements. Most of us want to meet and exceed the goals presented to us.

Department of Health

Current Employee - Environmental Health in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - Environmental Health in Tumwater, WA

I have been working at Washington Department of Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, treated with respect.

Cons

Flat at the top of pay scale. Public sector jobs are not prospering.

Encourage innovation.

WA State Department of Health

Former Employee - Health Services Consultant in Tumwater, WA
    Former Employee - Health Services Consultant in Tumwater, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to make a positive difference and improve health of people throughout the State.
    Many excellent, diverse programs.

Cons

If there are layoffs due to lack of funding, seniority counts more than education or experience. A person with no experience in a particular field can usually bump somone with more specific experience but less seniority. Union membership is required for non-management positions, yet the union seems to make little difference. Very little upward mobility. Vacancies usually only occur if there is new grant funding, or if someone retires.

More transparency

Health Services Consultant

Former Employee - Health Services Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Health Services Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall employees believe in mission and values of agency
    Agency completely revamped website making user friendly
    Manager supported healthy goals and lifestyle
    Manager kept employees in the loop re: department and agency level information
    New leadership will occur this year.

Cons

Morale dropped significantly during the recession, especially because employees felt their requested suggestions were ignored and dismissed.
    From the top down, favoritism towards departments or managers was blatantly practiced.
    People that screamed the loudest are often rewarded more than those that work the hardest.

Top-down management will continue to bring about high turnover rates.
    Employees just wanted to be treated fairly and have their voices heard.

Loved working here

Former Employee - Microbiologist II in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Microbiologist II in Shoreline, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work ethic, lots of opportunities for cross-training, interesting work opportunities.

Cons

No personal desk space or computer

Get people some desks!

Status quo before quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tumwater, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tumwater, WA

I have been working at Washington Department of Health

Pros

stable job industry. good stepping stone.

Cons

not interested in creating efficiencies. more interested in hiring relatives over competent professionals.

A detrimental management style is pervading the department, and it's spreading.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Washington Department of Health

Pros

Coworkers are, for the most part, professional and nice to work with. The benefits are decent, and Olympia is a very nice city to live in.

Cons

The management philosophy seems to be undergoing a change....and not for the better. It's undermining morale and decreasing efficiency.

State resources are being wasted but when pointed out to management, if it will cause a ruckus to fix, they'll ignore it rather than deal with it.

Practice what you preach.

Not the best job I've ever had

Former Employee - Consultant in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Olympia, WA

I worked at Washington Department of Health

Pros

Good benefits, co-workers tend to be nice but work stations and assignments are isolating.

Cons

Poor management skills, very little oversight, low morale, work is isolating

Pay attention to what managers are doing. In my time there I was unable to get regular meetings with my manger (2 meetings in 8 months), couldn't get feedback on performance and didn't ever get metrics to measure if I was doing my job. It's a tumble of bureaucracy with no one i charge.