Washington Federal

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Roy M. Whitehead

Pros:
  • "Eager to train on new and more difficult tasks-great work environment for experience"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work life balance is great as we are closed weekends"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very low pay even for long time experienced employees"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Pay scale lower; but bonus pay and lower cost of health insurance make up for lower payscale"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee)

ProsWashington Federal has strong values and truly cares about its customers. You aren't forced to sell anything, so it feels like you can really help someone instead of giving them a sales pitch. The medical and dental benefits are great and the 401k package is phenomenal.

ConsThe pay isn't great and there's a steep learning curve,

wholesale sales reb.

ProsMost of the people were great, however management is still in the stone age

ConsHarsh working conditions, lack of training

Negative environment, low pay

Customer Service/Call Center (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsSchedule is M-F, and it was very easy to get hired, no real experience needed. The job itself is not difficult, answering the phone (no in person contact) and helping clients.

ConsThe environment is very negative, tattling is encouraged, whether true or not. Big brother watch your back mentality as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop listening to gossip, tales from one or a few people. Don't give it so much attention/credence. In short- let's all be adult.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High expectations low pay.

Credit Analyst (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork life balance can be good. Learn basics of banking.

ConsStress, low pay and high expectations. The bank is very poorly run and it is evident through out the entire company. Many individuals are not competent at their jobs and the ones that are competent, complain constantly about low pay. This was at the corporate office and other offices. I have witness people explode over stress and others who work just to get by. Only work here if you have no where else to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay individuals better and you will see morale improve throughout the company. If you did this you wouldn't have all the constant problems running stuff day to day.

Invested Here

Seattle, WA

ProsHonestly not many Pro's. Work schedule is easy. Work environment is generally relaxed. Will hire without prior banking experience giving many people their first foray into banking. Opportunities for training and learning if you know where to find them.

ConsA common complaint that I see is compensation. It is criminally low. Low enough to where the new Seattle wage will have a massive effect on even many of the corporate employees who make less the $15 an hour. The amount of work you do for that low pay is also ridiculous. They expect the CSR's to be personal bankers essentially and yet they pay them slightly above minimum wage. The company motto is "Invested Here" but if you don't invest in your employees why should they invest in making the company a profitable one. Without a competitive wage I see more and more unqualified individuals being hired. Since the company doesn't have a competitive wage we are getting passed over by many very qualified individuals. In addition, the people that actually work hard and try to make the company better eventually leave for better compensation. They try to include the bonus in your compensation package but it isn't guaranteed so why bother including it. In addition the perks and benefits are slowly being chipped away. The 401K is great if you can afford to actually put money into it. However, since the wage is so low most can't afford to and are forced to live paycheck to paycheck. With the new additions the company is turning less into a community bank and more into a big bank that swallows up community banks. So many acquisitions in such a short time has put a strain an every employee at the corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize that if you intend to remain competitive in the industry you offer a competitive wage. Turnover is probably the biggest foe that this company faces. If you lose all your hard working employees what are you left with? Turnover is probably the biggest factor in whether this company fails or not. If turnover continues to be high. Clients will get fed up with inadequate service that is provided by trainees. They will leave and money will be lost. I believe that this company is at a turning point has a huge hand in its own destiny. If pay goes up to competitive scale yes their may be a few years with losses. However the long range benefits will far out way any loss.

Current Employee

Seattle, WA

ProsBeing employed versus being jobless. The CEO is down to earth nice guy.

ConsToxic work environment, backbiting and gossiping. The company technology is from the Stone Age. Constant office politics and favorites. Pay is a joke compared to other banks. Word of caution do not work here you will regret it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease teach supervisors and managers how to properly manage their employees.

Just "OK"

ProsNot too stressful of a job, you pretty much get to do your own thing if you keep branch running smooth. Work life balance is great as we are closed weekends.

ConsBiggest con? pay! It is awful, I have worked over 8 years and make less then $15 an hour. The world is expected of us, but we don't get compensated correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times! Your employees can't live off the pay!

High expectations, Low Pay, Opportunity

ProsThe company is expanding and for those that are qualified opportunities abound to move up.

ConsPay is low compared to the amount of responsibilities that employees have. Company is mired in ancient practices and struggles to keep pace with competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they deserve and they won't go on the web and say that you pay less than you should.

Turnovers galore

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsAWESOME clients. Truly great people worthy of the best customer service 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time clients got amazing customer service anyway, but weren't worthy of it.

ConsStaffing each branch didn't seem to be a priority to upper management in my region. They had expectations of production that simply couldn't happen without people there to make it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe cup competition should be divided by regions. Instead of the top 10 and nifty 50 overall for the whole company, It would make way more sense to give the top 3 performing branches in big regions recognition and in smaller ones honor 1 branch.

Mergers are not easy

Csutoemr Service (Former Employee)
    Bend, OR

ProsThis company actually does give the bonuses that they promise in their literature.

ConsThe way we did things yesterday probably is not good enough for tomorrow's business needs. Good ideas can come from anywhere in the company. Don't ignore an idea because of the messenger.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovating processes and procedures is not easy - it takes courage to decide that there is a better way to do things than the way we have done them in the past.

Worked for Washington Federal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washington Federal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Washington Federal CEO Roy M. Whitehead. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Washington Federal employees.