Washington Federal Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
87 reviews filtered by
2.7
Roy M. Whitehead

Pros
  • Work life balance is great as we are closed weekends (in 5 reviews)

• Eager to train on new and more difficult tasks-great work environment for experience (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work you do for that low pay is also ridiculous (in 10 reviews)

• The promotions are nice at first, but the low pay and lack of training don't make you want to stay long term (in 4 reviews)

Good company, if you don't care about the size of your paycheck.

I have been working at Washington Federal

Pros

I work at an office with friendly people, and the work environment is fairly relaxed. I get a good amount of vacation time, and the insurance is affordable.

Cons

The pay is extremely low!! I am a CSR, (basically a bank teller), but I do more work along the lines of a personal banker, and I get paid horribly low for being with the company so many years. There is a severe lack of promotions within the company locally. I am at the bottom of the totem pole, but I seriously feel like I do more work than the Personal Banker and Branch Manager we have here. The pressure also falls on us to expand client relationships, and get new client relationships. The CSRs really carry a lot of work on their shoulders, but we are not compensated accordingly.

Maybe we should cut out the lunchroom supplies, and instead raise our pay! I'd rather have a bigger paycheck than have our lunchroom stocked with soda, soup and saltines. I am a CSR, yet I help all deposit clients, and loan clients (excluding anything that needs a NMLSR #). The bank needs to do more marketing to get the Washington Federal name out there.

2. Worker here if you must

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hire with no banking experience, benefits are not terrible, health care is very affordable, salary plus food stamps you might not die of starvation

Cons

The salary is very low, extremely low. Also the way they calculate your total compensation will make it seem you are well paid, example, CSR (teller) your total compensation is about $36,000. However your take home pay is 1600 or less. Also you will be asked to do your job plus someone else job, which is fine, until its promotion time and you will be passed over for any kind of management job. There are almost 0 managers who worked their way up, unless they have been with the company for 10 or more years.

If you end up being loyal and sticking it out and being promoted you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are making as a manager 10 to 15 thousand less than the managers who are hired externally. They may rearrange your positions several times to ensure you remain on the low end of the pay scale case in point. Branch leadership used to go CSS, PB, Sr CSR. They changed it to go PB, CSS, Sr. CSR, and then changed it again to be PB, Sr. CSR, CSS.

The job will have little to no training, which is fine because of high turn over you probably won't know much more than your boss and you can improvise. Everyone from Business bankers, Branch managers, to regional presidents will turn over and its always due to competitors offering better salaries. The CEO though makes around 5 million and the executive management will make in the millions.

if you must work here, especially if you are a teller, consider this plan.
    6 months promoted from CSR 1 to CSR 2....another 6 months promoted from CSR 2 to CSS or Sr. CSR after that start looking for another job and make 3-7 more per hour.

None, they wouldn't listen anyway, if they did bother listening they would have heard from the hundreds of employees who have left. Just keep doing what you are doing, screwing one employe at a time.

3. You have now entered...............The Twilight Zone........

I have been working at Washington Federal

Pros

Free pop in kitchen.
    Learn how to do MUCH more than just teller operations.
    Learn how to make HUGE sacrifices for a company sake and see nothing in return.

Cons

My branch Manager is completely incompetent. She never learned how to do teller transactions on Washington Federal's system. Therefore she wasn't able to train me, all of my training came from fellow CSR's *slaves*. Manager is always leaving early, taking half days, not coming in. She complains about inadequate pay while making over 2 times what we make. I don't even make 12.00 / hr after being "promoted". Work load is much higher than competitor banks. Washington Federals System is ancient and dated. Regional manager has no clue about the inner workings of "his" branches. Just a complete lack of management and oversight. Get ready to feel used and abused.

Review your management for competence. Unless you like the constant turn over, treat your employees with dignity and respect.

5. It could be better.

I worked at Washington Federal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, a decent support system without having actual people in branch, not open saturdays.. steady hours.

Cons

lack of internal promotion opportunity , high volume work for the compensation, short staffed at nearly every branch to cut business cost, poor managerment.

when you under pay and stretch people beyond a normal job title limitations. its a double negative. if you had a stellar compensation, people would be more willing to take on a heavier load. but as it stands, its not worth the effort.

Great potential, unfortunately you'll have to be extremely patient.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable company, work life is not stressful. Promotion in name only.

Cons

Compensation is horrible. Promotions do not include increase pay or responsibility, time-off policy is bad, communication with upper management severely lacking.

Company is currently engaging in a change management program. Ironically enough, senior management has not changed which direly needs to happen. The company seems to be operating in Federal Savings in Loan mode, but is supposedly a nationally chartered bank. Policy and guidelines are outdated or lacking and the communication is horrible with senior management. There is a constant feel of moving goals, which always seems to be retroactively enforced. Also, the company is very susceptible of being sued due to lack of adequate internal council.

Not that great

I have been working at Washington Federal

Pros

Offers loan products that can help customers who can't qualify for fannie/freddie loans

Cons

Management seems to be more interested in making money for shareholders than creating a better environment for employees.

In order to retain more employees you will have to come closer to matching salaries for comparable positions in other companies.

Look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monday-Friday work schedule is nice for those who don't

Cons

We were TOLD by Human Resources, to log onto this website and make a positive post about Washington Federal about a year ago and encouraged from time to time to do so - though I am not a puppet for this company since I owe them nothing. Management promises raises and promotions and doesn't happen. Instead they will provide you with reasons why you aren't ready - and then never give you any mentor-ship on how to get better. Company just added a who slew of job titles to make it harder to climb the ladder, as well making you do extra work without receiving the pay. You will do personal banker and relationship banker roles as a base Teller at this company and get paid close to minimum wage. Literally.

I really don't know where to start. Please follow through with promises you make, and when an employee wants to advance in the company - give them the attention they need to advance and you will start to Finally develop new employes.

9. So-so

Current Employee - Director of Service in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Service in Everett, WA

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good ethical, strong bank that is growing in an industry that could be described as "shaky" or "recovering" at best. If you show the initiative, they'll give you extra work to keep you busy.

Cons

They are frugal with a strong focus on being cost-efficient which prevents them from being on the cutting edge in regards to technology/systems.

10. Great benefits, pay not competitive.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Washington Federal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The 401k match is outstanding. Would be a great company to retire with. Health insurance including dental and options for flexible spending. Great resources available to help you learn about banking.

Cons

The pay is low and although the benefits are great if you're not near retirement or retirement isn't on your mind, it's sometimes hard to relate benefits directly to pay. The people that work here are great.

Shame, Shame: Division Leadership Needs To Reevaluate What He Contributes to WF

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Dallas, TX

I worked at Washington Federal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great CEO
    Branch managers are professional
    Monday - Friday hours

Cons

Horrible Pay
    Micromanaged by Division Leadership
    Division Manager always was "Out Looking For Business" when he was really going home to nap, watch TV or run errands.
    It is disappointing to work so hard for so little, just to see the upper management sit in an office all day doing nothing while making everyone else feel like everyday could be their last day, if more work isn't put in.

Reevaluate Division Leadership. You won't pay support staff a reasonable salary, but you'll pay the division manager a fortune to have everyone else carry his load and make him look good to corporate.