Washington Mutual

Be The First To
Add Photos

Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon

James Dimon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, employees treated fairly, good company values, nice culture(in 39 reviews)

• They offered great benefits and good supports for the families of employees(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was a mixed bag; lack of accountability at the highest levels(in 35 reviews)

• Too many changes in upper management that disrupted the lower ranks - on a regular basis(in 15 reviews)

It's a job, not a career

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsDespite some interesting growth opportunities, I'd call it a job and not a career. Decent pay, high turnover. Upper movement determined on office politics rather than merit. But I suppose that's true at many places.

ConsUpper management pushes some questionable growth numbers. Is it possible for a small branch to open 100+ new accounts in a month? Definitely. Are those accounts really needed and necessary in a small community? Probably not.

Advice to Senior ManagementA mission statement should be a mission statement, not a PR device to brainwash employees and consumers alike into thinking poor money management, big fees, and behavior inconsistent with said mission statement.

It was a great experience while it lasted.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI truly enjoyed my time at WaMu. I loved my team and the people I worked with, learned a lot, was challenged by the work I did and liked the company's culture.

ConsGetting shut down by the FDIC and being devoured by JPMorgan was kind of a downer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIgnoring risk and lending out to anybody regardless of whether they can repay the loan isn't really a good business model.

It was good while it lasted

QA Analyst (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsIt was a nice work environment, coworkers were great.

Constoo much red tape and hard to get point across

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more to your reports.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Leadership at all levels.

Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGenerally a fair working environment.

ConsLack of integrity at the leadership levels.

Good people hurt by bad decisions

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI was in a great group that drove enterprise finance support for the company. We had a lot of synergy and were recognized as subject matter experts in our roles. My manager was demanding but also collaborative and supportive.

ConsShame that so many good people who worked hard were impacted by such a short-sighted risk management strategy.

Company Review

Associate General Counsel (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people, great benefits, great job.

ConsExtremely poor executive management who destroyed the Bank.

A rewarding experience

Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCareer development
    Training opportunities
    Fair Recognition and Rewards

ConsOnce you are good in a field they were not encouraging or supportive of switching. Techies were discouraged from going into management for example.

Great bank and opportunity, depending on your position

Recruiting Assistant (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsFocus on work-life balance
    Young company, with most employees in the 18-45 age range
    Good benefits
    Frequent 1:1 meetings with management
    Lots of communication

ConsPerformance reviews and expectations not in line with those advertized.
    Performance reviews were changed so that the vast majority of employees received a "3" out of 5, which meant doing your job well, but not enough for even a cost of living raise.
    Salaries for employees varied widely and sometimes had jumps of up to 50% of base salaries.
    Salaries are not in line with corporate standards for areas with higher cost of living.
    Frequent micromanagement
    No margin for any error, which was, of course impossible, even 97% was not good enough.

Washington Mutual

Teller (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI managed to get along with my bosses and my coworkers. I did like the benefits and all the employee discounts available.

ConsI hated the fact that as a teller you had to stand up. Our stations were setup like a cell phone store but worse because there was an area for the customers to look around on the screen as you processed their transactions. This was invasive and uncomfortable for the employee. Now that I think about it, this was dangerous given that anyone could come in and easily physically assault us since it was a bank after all. I felt like WAMU did not care about our safety. My legs would hurt after a long day of standing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your employees some chairs!! And put them behind a bullet proof window please!!!

Great company that went under.

Senior Teller (Former Employee) Visalia, CA

ProsGreat compensation compared to larger banks.

ConsUnfortunately it went under however was saved by JP Morgan Chase.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!