Washington Mutual Reviews

Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

1. Employee and Customer centric company

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Opportunities for advancement provided and encouraged. When ideas for improvement were identified by employees management supported efforts to implement them if the right justifications were provided.

Cons

Large company many different channels, increases inconsistencies between departments and lines of business. Resistance from some lines of business to implement best practices unless required by executive management.

Advice to Management

The company was acquired by the FDIC during a series of events. Unfortunately Executive management did not work to sell the company sooner.

2. It was good while it lasted

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a nice work environment, coworkers were great.

Cons

too much red tape and hard to get point across

Advice to Management

listen more to your reports.

3. It was a good place to work

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Always felt I was needed and appreciated

Cons

Sr Executives allowed it to be shut down/taken over by JP Morgan Chase

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy

5. Washington Mutual was a great place to work...until the end

Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

I felt like I worked with my extended family and I was able to chart my own course in a big way.

Cons

The end, when the bank literally failed (or was allowed to fail, unlike the other "big banks"), was rough. Seeing stock gains vanish into thin air was tough to take, plus being acquired for next to nothing by Chase was hard to swallow. After the take over, all of the good reasons for working there disappeared.

Advice to Management

They're all gone, for the most part...I guess in the future, don't put all of your eggs in the same (mortgage) basket and listen to the FDIC, Fed, and Treasury when they tell you to sell...even if you think they're wrong.

6. Was a good place to work until they laid off everyone...

Current Employee - Business Data Analyst II in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Business Data Analyst II in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

The card service division was once providian which had its up and downs over the years. Then Washington Mutual took over providian. There were many good coworkers and a very freindly enviroment. The management was very different department to department and the Washington Mutual core values did not seem to be followed / valued by different parts of management. This was a good place to work until they laid off everyone after the FDIC forced the sell of Wamu to JP Morgan Chase. Since then everyone spends there remianing time searching for a new job and going to interviews. Good by Wamu and the crazy commercials.

Cons

Not the best communication from management. No heads-up to upcoming changes.

Advice to Management

To be more open to all levels of the orginization.

7. WaMu was a great place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

They understood the value of it’s employees and treated them fairly and with respect.

Cons

Their involvement with the sub-prime lending and home home loans was the death of the company.

Advice to Management

I have no advise as the company assets were acquired by Chase. I am just sad that the company as it was is gone.

8. WaMu review

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

I enjoyed the camaraderie and team spirit at the lower levels of WaMu - very interactive and collaborative at the core. However, with competitive, often stressed senior management the culture shifted over time into one of blame and finger pointing. Promotional opportunities were available if you were seen as competent.

Cons

Lack of honest communication within the organization. Poorly trained and/or overwhelmed middle management layer often prevented the flow of information. Very blame oriented.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach regarding core competencies of fair - human - caring - etc. - etc. It would be a much better corporate culture if you did.

9. Challenging Times Ahead

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Progressive company, usually ahead of the curve on social issues. West-coast headquarters enable more in-touch attitude and environment. Good pay and benefits including annual bonus and pension plan.

Cons

Recently acquired by Chase may result in layoffs and multiple reorganizations. Company may not have long enough history of dealing with significant economic crises to predict how it will weather drastic changes in current economy. Senior management may not be seasoned enough to effectively guide company through difficult times. The company tends to let its pride get in the way of practicality, therefore it finds itself in the position of not being prepared for severe economic crisis.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees and less on yourselves

WaMu was the shiny bank on the hill in Seattle that fell down the big, black hole of bad decisions and poor management.

Former Employee - Technology Group Manager Senior in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Group Manager Senior in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Free Checking, Decent benefits, Great staff and people that care and have stood by the company as it crumbled. Up to the last days, many of the staff stood by management (a bit blindly) believing it would get better. Even now, I understand many are listening to the new JPMC management and believing it will get better. I hope it does, but it would be hard to get worse now.

Cons

Sadly, senior management did not have the talent or capability to see the problems, and continued to believe everything would just work out (since it had in the past). The management did well in a time of growth and free credit, and had no clue in a time of recession. Cost cutting never really included what was needed (in Seattle) - layoffs were not based on business needs, but could be based on political alliances. Many, many employee lost much, if not all their 401K because the believe management when there were told it was a "buy" opportunity just a few months ago.

Advice to Management

Please don't ever do this again to another company - retire with your golden parachute - use your skills to help a non-profit or teach (you now have a great case study of failure to use).

11. Shocking, but True.

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

Even though the senior management is clueless about most of the stuff, the culture is very friendly.

Cons

The senior management is clueless about most of the stuff, and are senior not because of expertise. They get to some position, and then just stagnate there. Politics is rampant and each group is willing to back stab the other for intangibles. No growth opportunities, as the senior people never move higher or quit.

Advice to Management

Focus on innovation. Hold every employee accountable.