Washington Mutual

Be The First To
Add Photos

Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon

James Dimon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, employees treated fairly, good company values, nice culture (in 39 reviews)

• They offered great benefits and good supports for the families of employees (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was a mixed bag; lack of accountability at the highest levels (in 35 reviews)

• Too many changes in upper management that disrupted the lower ranks - on a regular basis (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for. My position as a Senior Loan Consultant afforded me unlimited income potential.

Senior Loan Consultant (Current Employee) Naples, FL

ProsThey provided a monthly draw against my unlimited income as a commissioned employee (about $3,000/month). Annual trips for achieving Presidents Club - all expenses paid including exceptionally gorgeous hotels (upscall Hyatt / Marriott) usually at tropical destinations like Hawaii. Awards and recognitions at the annual banquet.

ConsBe at quota and everyone will be happy. Even if you are not at quota they will support you any way they can in order to achieve that goal. 401k contribution was 10% up to the 10,000 mark annually. Guaranteed rate of return on same. Golden parachute after 5 years which was 10% of your annual income they they simply "gave" to you in an account that they held and managed until you left.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop emailing so many memos!! Just have a weekly sales meeting / call from immediate supervisor to inform loan originators of policy changes. If it is so important that everyone must be informed that same day - then blast an email as "priority". Commissioned reps have more on their mind then to constantly check their email from corporate (expecially when they get several per day).

Was great to be a WaMulian.

ProsGreat location in downtown Seattle.
    Awesome co-workers.
    Compensation based on merit.
    Good career growth and potential for advancement (assuming the company persisted).

ConsSubprime meltdown and Chase takeover.
    Finding out from the news that our company was no more.

Job was satisfying.

Vice President (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsProvided autonomy to get things done. Collegial environment.

ConsExecutive management unwilling to make prudent decisions to save the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short, mostly sweet.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLocal, professional, upward career opportunities.

ConsWorking at HQ (big). Oh, and it failed.

Fair

Teller (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWashington mutual was a great place for a college student pursuing a business degree to start a career in a business environment, specifically in finance or economics. They were well structured and had proper training for individuals, regardless of their role, to succeed in their job.

ConsDifficult to move up in the company. It appeared as if seniority took precedence to talent. My Branch Manager was an assistant for 16 years before she got a shot to run her own branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid hostile takeover

Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

Risk Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTeam was great; still maintaining meaningful relationships years after the Chase takeover. Bonds were made during many long hours of shared project work. Compensation was good.

ConsVery demanding schedule. Felt like much of the time we were racing against time. Thought we had made it through when things got pulled out from underneath us.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't grow too fast and compromise values that made you beloved by your customers. Thanks for pushing me, though, to realize what I could do.

Great learning experience

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people were great. The division was small so everyone had to wear many hats. Our division was acquired by a much larger finance group and our people were so much more efficient.

ConsThere existed some good ole boy network mentality. The old guard did not respect the abilities of the new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider not selling out.

Old WAMU Experience

Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsAbility to be cross trained, credit for serving the community through volunteerism.

ConsMandatory overcome on extremely short notice. Unstable industry

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance is out of balance. More focused on bottom line and not considerate of the people that work there, who are the first internal customer.

Great environment with enjoyable coworkers

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsEnvironment with coworkers
    Dealing with lots of people on a daily basis
    Simple tasks to accomplish
    Fast paced to make the time go by quickly

ConsQuotas that have to be met or negative performance reviews happen
    Low starting salary as a teller
    Repetitive tasks that don't always challenge you

Great company

Funder (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsExcellent colleagues. We had a great time working together. The company was mostly respectful of employees during a very difficult time. Everyone always pulled together to make things work. Great culture of support, fun, and of course hard work.

ConsSad to see it end the way it did. I would have loved to have stayed on had it been possible. Working at Chase is just not the same. Much more corporate and less friendly. For that, I had to go.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!