Washington Mutual

Updated September 15, 2014
3.8

Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, employees treated fairly, good company values, nice culture (in 39 reviews)

• They offered great benefits and good supports for the families of employees (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was a mixed bag; lack of accountability at the highest levels (in 35 reviews)

• Too many changes in upper management that disrupted the lower ranks - on a regular basis (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

It was the best experience I had with any company I've worked for! I was treated with kindness and understanding!

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customer service is great externally just as well as it was internally. I have helped people with their customer service techniques as well as paperwork filing which grew our efficiency as a group.

Cons

Challenges with my position included having to understand transfer paperwork from other financial institutions. There were some banks whom had their associates fill in the incorrect information to have the customer's retirement account transferred, but instead of sending it back through the mail, per protocol, I took the extra step and tried calling the bank and discussing this with their associate whom set up the paperwork. In the midst of things, this reduced my productivity, but instead of approaching the same situation multiple times with the same associate and same customer, it was necessary when I had some extra time.

Training was hands on. Our group worked very well together becoming very productive and sometimes ahead of schedule. We went through a transition with moving all accounts from WaMu to Chase and while it was difficult, we experienced a great, positive attitude from each other to get us through the tough times. Unfortunately, the last 12 months we were there transitioning, we were under contract and when there was no work left, we were jobless. Chase did offer other jobs we were qualified for and most took the jobs offered, but I went back to college instead.

Decent company to work for

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time

Pros

They were always changing things up, good or bad, depending on how much you like change. Tried to be costumer-centric. Held quarterly meetings to give employees the state of the company and keep them informed. Decent salaries and benefits, held annual employee appreciation events

Cons

When we got by JPMC, although at least we got decent layoff packages and job services.

A great experience

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great boss who gave a lot of independence. Great colleagues to work with. I had a lot of fun while it lasted.

Cons

None really. I enjoyed my work.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great to be a WaMulian.

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in downtown Seattle.
    Awesome co-workers.
    Compensation based on merit.
    Good career growth and potential for advancement (assuming the company persisted).

Cons

Subprime meltdown and Chase takeover.
    Finding out from the news that our company was no more.

Excellent company to work for. My position as a Senior Loan Consultant afforded me unlimited income potential.

Current Employee - Senior Loan Consultant  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Consultant in Naples, FL

I have been working at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They provided a monthly draw against my unlimited income as a commissioned employee (about $3,000/month). Annual trips for achieving Presidents Club - all expenses paid including exceptionally gorgeous hotels (upscall Hyatt / Marriott) usually at tropical destinations like Hawaii. Awards and recognitions at the annual banquet.

Cons

Be at quota and everyone will be happy. Even if you are not at quota they will support you any way they can in order to achieve that goal. 401k contribution was 10% up to the 10,000 mark annually. Guaranteed rate of return on same. Golden parachute after 5 years which was 10% of your annual income they they simply "gave" to you in an account that they held and managed until you left.

Stop emailing so many memos!! Just have a weekly sales meeting / call from immediate supervisor to inform loan originators of policy changes. If it is so important that everyone must be informed that same day - then blast an email as "priority". Commissioned reps have more on their mind then to constantly check their email from corporate (expecially when they get several per day).

Job was satisfying.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Provided autonomy to get things done. Collegial environment.

Cons

Executive management unwilling to make prudent decisions to save the organization.

Short, mostly sweet.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time

Pros

Local, professional, upward career opportunities.

Cons

Working at HQ (big). Oh, and it failed.

Fair

Former Employee - Teller  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual part-time for less than a year

Pros

Washington mutual was a great place for a college student pursuing a business degree to start a career in a business environment, specifically in finance or economics. They were well structured and had proper training for individuals, regardless of their role, to succeed in their job.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the company. It appeared as if seniority took precedence to talent. My Branch Manager was an assistant for 16 years before she got a shot to run her own branch.

Avoid hostile takeover

Wrong Place at the Wrong Time

Former Employee - Risk Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team was great; still maintaining meaningful relationships years after the Chase takeover. Bonds were made during many long hours of shared project work. Compensation was good.

Cons

Very demanding schedule. Felt like much of the time we were racing against time. Thought we had made it through when things got pulled out from underneath us.

Don't grow too fast and compromise values that made you beloved by your customers. Thanks for pushing me, though, to realize what I could do.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people were great. The division was small so everyone had to wear many hats. Our division was acquired by a much larger finance group and our people were so much more efficient.

Cons

There existed some good ole boy network mentality. The old guard did not respect the abilities of the new people.

Consider not selling out.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!