Washington Mutual Reviews

Reset
2.0
Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Pros
  • Great people, true team environment, challenging work, fair compensation, perfect work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great place for those who enjoy being challenged and surpassing expectations (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The assistants worked like dogs with very little praise, loan officers got all of the glory (in 13 reviews)

• Too much risk in the subprime lending (in 8 reviews)

1. it was fine

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time

Pros

i suppose it was fine working there. I didn't really mind it. It was in downtown seattle, which was convenient and very, very easy to get to by bus.

Cons

They shut down the doors and kicked everyone out in to the streets. That was not good. That really, really, really, really sucked.

Advice to Management

Maybe try to not go bankrupt. And don't lie to employees. That should really be frowned on and make a bad thing to do for everyone.

2. Dysfunctional company, no longer around

Pros

Since the level of performance was low, gave plenty of experience improving processes.

Cons

Low growth opportunity, little trust of management, very poor salary practices for long time employees, impossible to adjust salaries of loyal employees when new employees in the same position were hired on at 25% or more higher salaries.

3. Overwhelming Work Expectations

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Desert Hot Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Desert Hot Springs, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of bank holidays which means time off

Cons

Product and Service lines are too narrow in scope.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

5. Branch Loan Officer

Former Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provided access to current mortgage holders

Cons

The Company didn't offer products for the areas in which the branches were located

Advice to Management

Have better products

6. RETAIL banking. -- "Sell Sell Sell!"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to, there was room to move up from the bottom.

Cons

But the ceiling wasn't very far from the ground when it came to advancement. The biggest disappointment, was seeing the change from being a banker and assisting people in their financial needs. Giving them clarity on what opportunities they had to make the best of their money. Counseling customers on how to manage funds. -- To trying to convince every single customer to open more and more accounts. Far more than they needed. Over and Over.

Advice to Management

No banker needs to be pushy. Lay-off. It's a burden on the customer to be treated like an asset.

Good people hurt by bad decisions

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was in a great group that drove enterprise finance support for the company. We had a lot of synergy and were recognized as subject matter experts in our roles. My manager was demanding but also collaborative and supportive.

Cons

Shame that so many good people who worked hard were impacted by such a short-sighted risk management strategy.

8. Washington Mutual

Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I managed to get along with my bosses and my coworkers. I did like the benefits and all the employee discounts available.

Cons

I hated the fact that as a teller you had to stand up. Our stations were setup like a cell phone store but worse because there was an area for the customers to look around on the screen as you processed their transactions. This was invasive and uncomfortable for the employee. Now that I think about it, this was dangerous given that anyone could come in and easily physically assault us since it was a bank after all. I felt like WAMU did not care about our safety. My legs would hurt after a long day of standing up.

Advice to Management

Get your employees some chairs!! And put them behind a bullet proof window please!!!

9. It's about leadership

Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The vision was exciting at first and I was proud to be a part of WaMu. I was able to do some of my best work, with some very creative and bright people.

Cons

Leadership--and by that I mean the C suite--got caught up in ego gratification and hubris. For the three to four years before the company went under it was all about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes and surround yourself with people who tell you the truth ... and then resist the urge to run them off if you don't like what you're hearing.

10. Treated unfairly by management and had negative experience in work environent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

WaMu had a very diverse group of people to work with and everyone knew what they were doing and very knowledgeable.

Cons

Did not feel like I was needed and was constantly felt underrated and disrespected by management and felt they had little faith in my work.

Advice to Management

Management could make the team feel a little more included and treat those working under them with more respect and value.

11. Too little much too late

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

The WaMu I knew had a long, proud history of serving its communities, customers and clients. While it was in business I was proud to work there.

Cons

WaMu's senior management utterly destroyed the bank. Between 2007 and 2008 the company stock slid from $40 down to 10 cents as it imploded, its assets ultimately sold to JPM at firesale prices by the federal government.

Advice to Management

Too little much too late. They presided over one of the greatest examples of the destruction of shareholder equity in the history of capitalism. On the flip side after this performance it should not be hard for any of them to actually improve as managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed