Washington Mutual Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014

4.0

Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, employees treated fairly, good company values, nice culture (in 39 reviews)

• They offered great benefits and good supports for the families of employees (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was a mixed bag; lack of accountability at the highest levels (in 35 reviews)

• Too many changes in upper management that disrupted the lower ranks - on a regular basis (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Old WAMU Experience

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to be cross trained, credit for serving the community through volunteerism.

Cons

Mandatory overcome on extremely short notice. Unstable industry

Work life balance is out of balance. More focused on bottom line and not considerate of the people that work there, who are the first internal customer.

Bad company to work for

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

A Very poor managed company

Lack of Leadership at all levels.

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally a fair working environment.

Cons

Lack of integrity at the leadership levels.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Decision Making by Leadership

Former Employee - Retail Bank Operations  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Bank Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Retail store and low and mid management corporate employees were very nice, and were eager to do good work

Cons

Desparate need for new and innovative ideas from senior management and significant passive/aggressive behavior demonstrated by management trying to move up the chain of command.

Live an honest life, both professionally and personally

Meltdown was inevitable

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Pay was good. Project Management methodology followed PMI industry standards. Management had meetings in person to promote team work and get buyin on the business processes and work, but this just applied to the department that I was in, not global.

Cons

No trust or information sharing between business and IT. Lots of games being played. People so paranoid and cya, that everything in email.

Don't know how it is now that it's Chase. Advice to WaMu senior management and anyone: when you see the star managers leaving, you know that a meltdown is ahead. Plus, read the newspapers and intranet. Was not in mortgage lending division; would be interesting to hear feedback from people who worked there.

Failure to recognize reality hastens company's demise.

Former Employee - First Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - First Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Receiving a paycheck and maintaining positive working relationships with other employees.

Cons

Lack of capable management, failure to communicate truthfully with employees.

Admit seriousness of conditions and communicate honestly with employees.

$20,000,000 v $5,000 - whose severance package would you prefer?

Former Employee - Compliance Body  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Body in Irvine, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

It used to be because they seemed to be in touch with their customers with their funny "Stodgy Banker" ads and free checking. Then they lived a lie by telling everyone the bank was fine, all the time relying on the customers deposits as the reason they were in a "healthy position". Shame on you Kerry Killinger and others.

Cons

Management were totally distant..no recognition for a good job, just more work. I got a 50 cent pay increase in 4 years! Fishman, The CEO left after A MONTH with $20,000,000 dollars and most of the workers got between $5,000-$10,000. Disgusting.

Resign.

too late. company no longer exists

Current Employee - Senior Internal Controls Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Controls Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

used to be the core values and culture, but now what's left is quickly being assimilated by Chase. The only thing left are the branches, which are now Chase

Cons

Bad management ran the company into the ground. Obviously a big downside is that it doesn't exist any more.

Too late now. Thanks for all your hard work in ruining a once proud company.

A nice place to work before the greed set in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

My immediate coworkers were extremely warm and caring, and they cared about me as a person.

Cons

I worked in a functional area and didn't feel like there were a lot of people there I could learn from. I came to WaMu with years of Fortune 500 experience in my specialty, and many of the people I worked with seemed like they were in their jobs because they'd been with the bank for years and had just been promoted up through the ranks because they did what executives wanted them to do.

Stay in banking if you can, since many of you would get eaten alive in other industries.

WaMu on its Last Leg as JPMorgan Chase Takes Over... Good Riddance!

Current Employee - First Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - First Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

Fair Compensation and Benefits, Reasonable Work/Life Balance, Challenging Business Problems to Solve and Lots of Opportunities for Improvement in Business Models and Processes

Cons

Even before the JPM takeover, senior management communication was poor, and the overall level of leadership from the VP-level up vs. other financial companies has been mediocre at best (particularly from former Providian managers). Lack of understanding and appreciation for work support groups provide by Marketing and other senior leaders.

Learn from your mistakes... You poorly managed the company, its employees, and its reputation, and look what happened. Improve the quality and frequency of leadership communication to keep employees informed.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!