Washington Mutual Reviews

Reset
4.0
Washington Mutual Chairman & CEO JP Morgan Chase James Dimon
James Dimon

Pros
  • Great people, true team environment, challenging work, fair compensation, perfect work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great place for those who enjoy being challenged and surpassing expectations (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The assistants worked like dogs with very little praise, loan officers got all of the glory (in 13 reviews)

• Too much risk in the subprime lending (in 8 reviews)

Take it, it is ver worthwhile, you will appreciate it.

Former Employee - Teller in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Teller in Bronx, NY

Pros

Great place to start out, if you are looking for experience in the professional workforce, this place is for you. Also the branch is mainly a team game. Everyone working in there little own special capacity to get the job done and by the end of the day. Your job is completed and you leave assured that what you have done is up to par.

Cons

When working directly with the public there are bound to be days with a lot more than the average number of headache, and small moments of insanity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the job, you are doing. For the most part the support you are giving is helpful and goes along way. One thing that is even better is, I strongly believe no one really likes to be micromanage and at Washington Mutual you do not managers micromanaging employees.

Whoo hoo I work for WaMu, but give me a chance to be a better employee

Current Employee - Teller in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Teller in Kissimmee, FL

Pros

I would have to say that my co-workwers are the best reason why I work for WaMu. I always have fun at my branch. I think that I would have felt uncomfortable with my co-workers i wouald have quit a long time ago. Another reason is the schedule. My managers are very flexible with my schedule. I go to school (night classes), work, and go to church. The pay compared to other jobs is not that ba, plus we get commission at the end of the month. And if I do reach all my goals, referrals, be in balanced; I can get Frontline Premier

Cons

Some of hte downsides is the pay. Eventhough I said is good compared to other jobs, I still think that it should be better. We as teller sometimes do most of the work. We are the ones who help the PFRs reach their goals. We have to do referrals, be in balance, do customer service. We are the first people customers see. And since its all about customer service its sometimes hard to deal with all custoemrs. Especially the ones that think that we, tellers, should do whateverthey want. Such as, cashing or depositing third party checks. If the account of a customer is overdrawn some how is the tellers fault. Its hard sometimes to deal with angry, irritated customers, and try to do your best to do a good job and find a solution to theproblem. Also, if someon wants to rob the bank, they are going to rob the teller, not the representaives. Unfortunately, there is always favoritism. I believe that is something that occurs in all jobs so I have learned to be patient.

Advice to Management

I would have to say, give everyone the opprtunity to do better. Train them, even if the person does not do a good job. This way the employee cannot complain the he or she never got the chance to have a promotion, be more knowledgable. Also, give us feedback. Tell us what are we doing good, bad, what can we improve, how can we do better. Ask us what are our goals. The only way I can make a customer Feel the Whoo hoo!, is if I feel that way too. Keep your employees happy and the will keep your customers coming.

3. Proud to be WaMulian

Current Employee - Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Partner in Seattle, WA

Pros

Excellent business model, great brand to be associated with, great domestic presence, wonderful people, competitive benefits. Being based in Seattle is a huge plus for people who appreciate the Northwest lifestyle over the New York or Charlotte based financial industry cultures. There aren't a lot of "life-long bankers" in WaMu, which means there are a lot of fresh ideas and different perspectives around.

Cons

No clear paths for career advancement. It appears that HR arbitrarily enforces rules about job postings: you're supposed to go throught the full process of posting a job and interviewing candidates for any position in the bank, but more than 75% of the time folks are just promoted or given roles that didn't even exist before.

Advice to Management

Hold senior leaders (level 6 and above) financially accountable for their decisions.

5. WaMu, great place to work, hope it stays around for the long term.

Current Employee - Commercial Loan Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Loan Consultant in Oakland, CA

Pros

WaMu is a fantastic corporation who treats employees better than anywhere in which I've worked. The atmosphere is great and reminds me of how fun can be incorporated into work. In general I think companies on the west coast need to make their employees happier than those on the east coast because we demand it from them. However, it appears WaMu embraces this concept without being nudged to do so.

Cons

The negative press, worthless stock and options.

Advice to Management

Hire some better people to run this place because the potential is to large to lose such a great company/brand identity.

6. Lots of potential for growth if Management can bring back the culture.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

There is some interesting work to be had for a bank. I always had pride in the brand and product that we put out. Many teams can foster a fun working culture and work life balance can be had fairly easily. Compensation is pretty good, but the bonuses recently took a hit.

Cons

Promotions/reviews can be somewhat political with the system currently in place. Results could be highly dependent on your team's management. The biggest danger is that the work culture has taken a hit with the recent subprime dive. Teambuilding has been relegated to self-organized events among teams with little to no budget.

Advice to Management

Keep up with your employees, there is a large amount of growth going on that isn't being formally recognized due to artificial hurdles.

7. Washington Mutual: Casual Work Environment, Competitive Compensation

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, TX

Pros

Casual working enviroment, competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Washington Mutual is like most companies in the frustrations created by office politics and bureaucracies. Very little organized training is available. Management is inconsistent; some have no management experience but are very familiar with employee responsibilities while others are excellent managers who have no idea of employee job responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Don't settle for internal employees to fill a position without interviewing qualified external employees.

I like working for WaMu but if I could find a job that would give me complete fulfillment I would take it.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Simplier Banking - More Smiles

Cons

Continual cutbacks and lay-offs the management seems to be in a state of confusion and denial

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and learn for past bad decisions they can teach us a lot.

9. You may be in over your head and trust too much in your management team.

Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to a company that is still trying to find itself. There are always new projects to participate in, which provides a proving ground for talented people. Benefits are good including pension, 401K, bonus, and leadership bonus. For the most part, WaMu looks within it's own ranks to promote, but can suffer from internal politics at times. Within my area there is a strong team that has come a long way at becoming ultra efficient. Respect is give to those in the leadership team and adequate praise is give for key contributions. Overall I am satisfied with my career at WaMu.

Cons

Constant changes and redirection from a divided executive management team. For the past 12 months many employees have been in limbo while the management team works to right the ship. Unfortunately improvements and successes are not shared accross business lines and our Residential lending unit has lagged severely behind the competition for years. There will be several years of hardwork by the management team before this unit can turn a profit, that is of course unless we are bought out which is a real posiblity. On several occassions we have let go of qualified employees only to turn around and extend their time here because of a poor decision.

Advice to Management

Decide on who you are.

A good place to work for

Current Employee - Risk Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Location - Seattle, WA is good at many aspects.

Cons

Managment hasn't been strong enough.

Advice to Management

Be fair, empowering employees and better commucation.

11. San Francisco and Seattle do not get along

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My boss is great, my team is great, and I enjoy working with most of my coworkers. I think I'm paid fairly for what I do, and my management expects me to do a good job but they don't want me to kill myself doing it.

Cons

There's a lot of backbiting and politics, especially between groups. A few key people in upper management can really set the tone (good or bad) for how people get along. Also, while many of us are streamlining and cutting costs, the Retail side of the bank (including the silly Whoo Hoo campaign and the all-important Brand) seem extremely fat and ineffective.

Advice to Management

Do something about the acrimony between Seattle and San Francisco. I work in SF and we try to play nice, but many of the legacy WaMu employees treat us like 2nd class citizens and want nothing to do with us.

RSS Feed </> Embed