Washington State University

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Washington State University President Elson S. Floyd

Elson S. Floyd

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

There isn't a lot of money in the laboratories.

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University part-time for more than a year

ProsThe department has been really nice to me. The people seem laid back and not a highly stressful work situation.

ConsThere doesn't seem to be as many resources as major University's

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to increase funding for Science and Engineering.

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University part-time for less than a year

ProsNothing good. The only thing that can be considered good is the palouse scene in summer, it is awesome.

ConsAlot:
-Poor facilities: no PC setup for Grad Student, office is too small without window. Kitchen is dirty. The building looks like 200 years old.
-Health insurance sucks: they said that it is free but I have to pay for it every month and it is compulsory. The service is even worse, they just tried to make money from us
- Stipend is very very low, just enough to survive.
- Professors in my departments sucks: racist, ignorance. Can you believe that most of them do not have active research ? Publications quality is poor, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire professor based on their research/teaching ability, not based on the ranking of university that they graduated.

Wanted to love it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Washington State University full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, well known institution with diverse employee population.

ConsConstant transition, bureacracy and not enough staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain those in management positions to be good managers, and work on employee satisfaction.

Great experience for students.

Student Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Washington State University part-time for more than a year

ProsWSU Dining services offers a great on campus opportunity for students. Networking with fellow students as well as possibilities for advancement make this great for building work experience. Having a job on campus is also great as transportation is easy with on campus living or utilizing Pullman Transportation.

ConsHours available can be awkward with early morning shifts or shifts that go past 1AM. Hours are limited and are often in short shifts.

Teaching assistant at Washington State University

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the best university in Washington State. Good environmental studying for students

ConsThe town is little boring. It's suitable only for students

Advice to Senior ManagementBest for studying but no good for working

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flexible and Fun Position

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University full-time for less than a year

ProsI was given freedom to research what I was interested in, along with the resources to accomplish my research goals. My group had plenty of funding which allowed us to travel to various conferences and have access to training in a variety of situations. The support staff, HR, and other faculty are fantastic.

ConsWhile I enjoyed the flexibility, perhaps more guidance would have been better to help me mature as a researcher. My group had several projects going which meant that my supervisors were often too engrossed in their own research to pay attention to mine.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Vet Hospital Employee

Vet Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at Washington State University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGet to work with some of the best vets in the industry. See lots of cases that would never see in private practice. Good state benefits.

Work independently and set own schedule. Lots of trust from my manager made me feel empowered.

ConsLots and lots of big egos require careful navigation and serious politicking to get anything new to move forward.

Lack of funding to meet daily needs, maintain equipment, and hire necessary staff, but plenty of funding to build new buildings!

Lack of advancement opportunities once you cap out.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide enough funding to strengthen what you already have before expanding elsewhere. Move away from "good old boy" cliques that harm morale, exclude women, and prevent moving into the future.

Great Place to get PhD

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKnowledgeable and experienced faculties, industry related projects, great student communities, friendly faculty and staff, excellent collaborations with industry

ConsSmall city (however I personally prefer small cities for educational purposes), sometimes a bit cold during winter.

Event Planner

Event Planner (Current Employee)
Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to grow, if you did something that nobody did before, you have huge chance to get a full time offer

ConsThere always is budget limit. You have to communicate and get approval from your supervisor.

Nice university to spend several years in graduate school

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Washington State University part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe university was located in a nice quiet town, which keeps distractions away.

ConsIt was remote, too far away from major cities. That makes life boring sometimes.

Worked for Washington State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washington State University reviews and ratings in Pullman, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Washington State University CEO Elson S. Floyd. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Washington State University employees.