Washington State University

Updated October 21, 2014
3.8

Washington State University President Elson S. Floyd
Elson S. Floyd

Pros
  • Good graduate student stipend compared to cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• There was flexibilty in terms of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some budget cuts in recent years has also put pressure on research programs to find more outside funding (in 5 reviews)

• It can be a bit much to handle when you are a full time student (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoy working for Washington State University.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Washington State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy interacting with students and holding office hours.

Cons

It is difficult to help students who don't care about learning.

Sometimes, required classes don't make sense.

Good experience, fun, easy going.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Pullman, WA

Pros

Research experience, looks great on a resume while being on a difficult somewhere between school work and industry work. Flexible hours, go to build our own work schedule.

Cons

Much lower pay than the type of work done would have gotten at an internship elsewhere.

The experience was worth the low pay as an early step in career. Nothing really needs to change.

Though it ended badly, my seven years with WSU, over all, was positive.

Current Employee - Grant Manager
    Current Employee - Grant Manager

I have been working at Washington State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to be working in an academic environment with such positive name recognition. People tend to respond very positively when you tell them you work for WSU.

Cons

State was on wage freeze, despite adding significantly to my workload during the seven years of my employment and positive annual reviews, I was unable to get a raise. Very frustrating. Also, there seemed to be a great deal of redundant paperwork.

Watch your back

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Washington State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location is great, helping students, retirement plan is good if you can survive

Cons

No leadership, poor managers who Are controlling, devalues employees, poor pay, no work schedule flexibility . Have to pay for parking which is expenses, managers do not value employees or their work, can't trust anyone

Communicate treat employees fair and equitable offer advancements and not to your friends or family members, take leadership classes, stop hiring friends and family members

Short hours, Crazy clients, scattered management

Former Employee - Disability Resource Aid in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Disability Resource Aid in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some fantastic co-workers with excellent backgrounds, flexible scheduling, easy work, editing textbooks was relaxing, driving and scheduling the van got crazy

Cons

Pay, disorganized management, management did not make use of employee talents, problems with university politics and funding being diverted, this leads to potential lawsuit for disabled people to access university resources

Have some.

I looked forward to going to work every day at the Writing Center

I have been working at Washington State University

Pros

I loved getting to discuss the writing process with students at every stage of their papers, and connecting with other people who valued written communication as much as I did. I also just thought it was great that students had this free resource to utilize and strengthen their writing.

Cons

Like any workplace, there were occasionally co-workers who were cliquish, but this was rarely a real issue.

Worst job ever

I worked at Washington State University

Pros

Light teaching load, beautiful area.

Cons

Horrible, incestuous politics. Ineffective administration, lack of area culture.

Decent

Former Employee - Communication staff in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Communication staff in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large university. Fun, academic atmosphere. Can take classes for low cost.
    Steady job. Casual dismissal not likely. Attracts people focused on service to students and research. Relaxed work atmosphere. Can find fun, smart people for social life.

Cons

Red tape. Frequent management turnover. Yes-speak culture. Attracts people focused on security and convention. Institutional boards do not support staff concerns. Staffers grandfathered in even if not functional. Latent sense among stakeholders of belonging to second-tier state university. At mercy of state funding.

Increase transparency. During hire, honestly represent departmental strengths, workload and potential. Keep on staff experienced managers who know the business and have seen a lot.

Lots of politics and red tape...Experience can be good or bad, and changes frequently

Former Employee - Systems Administrator II in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator II in Pullman, WA

I worked at Washington State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can be a good work environment, OK pay, flexible, good training opportunities (6 university credits a semester, $20). Pullman is small, but wonderful community to grow up in. Generally speaking, the university has high tech tools (although some notable exceptions in places).

Cons

Lots of politics and red tape. I was eventually fired because I outperformed my coworkers who had been there a long time, and they conspired to get rid of me to keep them from looking bad. Lots of policy and procedures. Lots of reasons NOT to excel. Frequent cycles in outlook due to state budget and other external pressures. Faculty can be a pain to work with, too.

Need to improve culture; Most departments had a suffocating culture and little reason to excel. Everything in the university is about keeping things status-quo, and those who think outside the box or try to improve things are punished.

directoe

Current Employee - Building Manager in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - Building Manager in Pullman, WA

Pros

good flexible and secure place to work

Cons

too small down regarding children's education

everyone is nice but process is too slow

Washington State University Photos