Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission

Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission General Manager Jerry N. Johnson
Jerry N. Johnson

Pays the bills

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time

Pros

Stable job with stable pay. As long as you show up on time and do your job, it's next to impossible to get fired.

Cons

Being a blue collar job, there's quite a bit of racism, sexism, and homophobia that goes on when people think no one important is listening. Revolving shift work can really take its toll over time as well.

Ignorance breeds ignorance, not really sure what can be done about the toxic culture, as policies and annual training are already in place to try to curtail the behavior.

Very Bad

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable company
    Finacially very solid
    Good Pension

Cons

I worked in IT department for 7 years. All kinds of corruption and unethical activities are rampant and managers have unlimited powers. As an honest employee, I was reporting the corrupt and unethical activities to proper channels but through all these years things did not get better and work environment became tougher and tougher for me. It was a gangs like culture and if you are not part of the corrupt gang, then your work environment is made very tough for you . When I got disappointed and found out that all my complaints not only went in vain but some how were being circled back to the culprits (gangs) , who in turn were making work environment more tough for me - disappointed I resigned in protest... and Thanks God my new job is 100 times better , more pay, very professional work environment.. Some times I say to myself, why did I waste 7 years of my professional life in WSSC

Listen to honest employees,
    Talk to employees who left in protest

Afraid to change old ways

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission

Pros

Benefits are very good and is not the most fast paced industry.

Cons

Very difficult to get anything done. Everything moves very slow. Processes are antiquated and management has been there for ages.

Don't be so power hungry. Be more accepting of change.

Very Stressful Work environment

I worked at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission

Pros

Pay is above the average but you will pay for the pay

Cons

ressful nerve racking. set in the 1960 leadership

i think Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission the best in sanitary

Current Employee - Engineer in London, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, CA

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i think it will transfer me to another place of information about this field and focus to get this job

Cons

getting information is my challenge

i don`t have the experience to advice the management but i have the ability to get advice from them because i want to get experiences

Horrible place. Worked there as a contractor.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Laurel, MD

I worked at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of exposure to new technology thanks to a hefty IT budget that allows them to purchase the latest and greatest.

Cons

You are only as good as your last mistake. IT department dysfunctional at every level due to upper management incompetence. Worst place I've ever worked by far during my 18 years in this line of work.

WAKE UP. Read the other reviews on this site and heed the advice!

Good place to work if you go with the flow

Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The technology is being updated so it's a good time to be here and learn lots of new things

Cons

Contract employees don't get any raises like the merit employees do. No work-life balance

Need to provide more work-life balance. Test out a work at home plan.

You will only move up If Management likes you

Former Employee - Accountant in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Accountant in Laurel, MD

I worked at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits and holidays

Cons

absolutely horrible management , some are racist,others are would harass and discriminate against you, majority are friends with upper management so they get away with anything , they will lie cheat and do anything to tear you apart

please get rid of all supervisors and managers that have been there for 10 yrs or more hire new onee

More stressful than it needs to be

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time

Pros

More holidays than most and decent benefits. Amenities in headquarters building include day care center, fitness center, credit union and cafeteria.

Cons

Difficult to get things done with all the bureaucracy. Hiring to fill vacancies can take many months. Interviews are all panel interviews with inflexible process - panels can only ask fixed, pre-determined set of questions. Purchasing routine supplies and services is incredibly slow - lead times to get paperwork through purchasing group can take 3-6 months. Many employees have never worked anywhere else and only know one way to do things. Work loads across different groups vary widely. Some groups are incredibly busy and stressed out trying to make up for inadequate staffing or poor upper management planning and communication. Some groups complain about not having enough to do to keep busy and the poor support they get from the overtasked groups.

IT department needs better internal communication. Fix purchasing process sooner rather than later. The paperwork delays in the purchasing process are having major negative impacts on other departments abilities to do their jobs and meet their goals. Get rid of cumbersome, ineffictive performance assessment process. There's no consistency in scoring across departments.

Great co-workers

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, co-workers (a sense of family), free-parking, on-site gym and daycare and credit union at headquarter building. Depending on your manager, work/life balance is great.

Cons

The continuing practice of pitting management against those who report to them, creating an "us" against "them" environment.

Take heed to what your employees are telling you in the survey. Help your senior management team become better managers by sending them to executive level training and conferences to learn the soft skills necessary to effectively lead a team.