Washington Trust Company Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Washington Trust Company Chairman, President, and CEO Joseph J. (Joe) MarcAurele
Joseph J. (Joe) MarcAurele

good local bank to work for.

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Westerly, RI

I worked at Washington Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees. Good benefits. They look within to seek talent to promote.In the mortgage side, They do very well with conventional home loans as well as portfolio loans.

Cons

On mortgage side, they broker their FHA Loans which causes problems because there is no control over the process and underwriting of the file.

Advice to Management

Compare yourself to the local banks not the big banks.

2. Home Town Discount

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Westerly, RI
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Westerly, RI

I have been working at Washington Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure, learned how banks work

Cons

Underpaid, very difficult to work up within the company unless your last name is already a VP within the company, hires outside of the company for all leadership spots.

Advice to Management

Cut the check

3. Good co-workers, lousy transparency

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Westerly, RI

I worked at Washington Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good co-workers and office culture, small-town feel, compensation is appropriate for job description, most supervisors have been there for years

Cons

No transparency...you could come in one day to find an entire underwriting team in a branch has had their positions eliminated with no notice and told to clear their desks out and evacuate the premises immediately. Mortgage industry fluctuates as do the positions available, but no communication between upper-level management and their employees on game plans or what is happening.

Advice to Management

More transparency! Be human. You have the basis for a great company; implement your "core values."

5. The most unprofessional company you will ever work for.

Current Employee - Loan Processor
    Current Employee - Loan Processor

I have been working at Washington Trust Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company can serve as a mean time job, until you find something better.

Cons

management gossip to much, no training at ALL! they set you up to fail. They allow for employees to bully other employees and instead of doing something about it? they will fire you instead to avoid issues. ( I watched it happen over and over until I decided to leave) This company is the worst company I ever worked at. I don't recommend no one working there. I wish I would of read reviews before accepting employment there.

Advice to Management

STOP GOSSIPING! don't promote on the basis your my friend, don't push out good people who can help you grow, and train your employees better.

6. the new Citizens.

Current Employee - Retail Banking
    Current Employee - Retail Banking

I have been working at Washington Trust Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RI based bank, cares about the community

Cons

it was a really great company for years, but all the new changes and all the Corporate hires from Citizens are destroying what was a great company. They do not care about the little people in the branches and over work them, for the past 6 months they have been on a hiring freeze all branches have been short staffed and struggling yet they hire a new CEO of the bank and do not replace the 30 people that have left since may. It is very sad to see such a great job that many of us have loved take such an awful turn.

Advice to Management

listen to what is actually going on with employees

7. Teller

I have been working at Washington Trust Company

Pros

Good benefits, great training to prepare you for the position before you actually go to your branch. Organization is large enough to provide opportunities to transfer to other departments. 401K and tuition reimbursement generous.

Cons

Low pay, goals are unattainable, transfer are difficult as it is generally who you know. They have a policy that any staff that resigns is never eligible for rehire, even if they were a good employee. I found that astonishing! So, if you decide to leave to try something else but want to come back in a few years you can't.

Advice to Management

I worked in several branches depending on when coverage was needed. One of the grocery store branches had very poor management and seems the issue has never been addressed. Felt bad for the staff as they were forced to leave or transfer due to issues that seemed to be ignored by upper management. Although this wasn't my permanent home it would make sense for WT to address the issues.

Loan Processor

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Westerly, RI
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in Westerly, RI

I have been working at Washington Trust Company

Pros

The ability to meet people that have been working in banking to see if its something you would like to purse.

Cons

It was incredibly boring. The work was tedious with little reward and the salary was not equal to the work I put in.

Advice to Management

Pay better, find ways to build team atmosphere rather than individuals. Modernize equipment, many things like copy machines falter frequently and cause work hold ups.

9. Good benefits, low pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Washington Trust Company

Pros

Great communication and senior management, great benefits (match up to 7% on 401K)

Cons

Not many advancement avenues, boring and repetitive work, low base salary

Advice to Management

Offer higher wages to the little people.

10. Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Teller in Westerly, RI
    Current Employee - Teller in Westerly, RI

I have been working at Washington Trust Company

Pros

Its a great company with good management. Lots of flexibility and well run. Great training program for tellers and make you feel very comfortable at the branch you are located. Good package for full time employees. Each branch has a very welcoming and warm atmosphere that makes all of the customers feel that they are fully appreciated. Very easy to communicate with upper management about any problems.

Cons

Could be more benefits for tellers. Tellers also have a low pay scale.

Advice to Management

Show more incentives to move up.

all about who you know

Current Employee - Retail Flex Banker
    Current Employee - Retail Flex Banker

I have been working at Washington Trust Company

Pros

benefits are good they are focused on customer service getting holiday time off works well if you have children in school

Cons

promotions are based on who you know and how long you have been with the company the raises are very poor managers are not in branches for most of the day, problem when customer asks for the manager little support for employees

Advice to Management

The benefits are good, but if you are looking for more than just benefits then this is not the place for you. There is strong micromanagement for branch employees, but very little for upper management results in misuse of power.

RSS Feed </> Embed