Washoe County Schools

Updated September 4, 2014

Pedro Martinez

Great Workplace

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

One of the best places to work in!!!

Cons

Must be willing to take tasks at any time

While they are trying, they have a long way to go to get to where they should be.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping students grow and learn is always good. There are a few leaders in the district who have caught the vision.

Cons

The low pay will never attract well qualified, motivated educators. It's unfortunate.

One of the best school districts in country

Former Employee - Upper Management in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WCSD has made enormous strides in terms of education, programs, and hiring good teachers, and is the best school district in the state by far. Their graduation rates are the highest of any urban district. They had the superintendent of the year for the country in Heath Morrison, and current superintendent Pedro Martinez is hard-working and efficient. WCSD has good schools and struggling schools, good principals and poor principals, good teachers and poor teachers, just like in every large district. It's the largest employer in northern Nevada, so lots of room for movement as an employee.

Cons

Nevada as a state does not value education. The voters continuously vote against funding for schools. This hurts WCSD more than anything, since it has to do more with less resources. The district is struggling to shake off a perception that it doesn't manage funding well. This is bogus, since it's pretty lean.

Fire poor teachers and principals quickly, don't just move them to different schools.

dont make a career out of it.

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

no weekend or nights. got days off whe needed .liked alot of folks I worked with ,and still keep in touch

Cons

no advancement EVER!!!. did away with our step raises for 3 years .service center would never think of considering anyone from any of their schools for advancment to the center .

you have alot of ladies out there in your schools that are very talented ,and I dont mean at serving lunch alot of us have office and extensive computer skills..maybe think about recruiting from within once in a while .

The school district has it's issues

Current Employee - Classified in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Classified in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The school district has been around for a long time and has a very large amount of employees. It's good to know that you are there doing your part to help further the children's education. They do offer benefits and for the most part seem to have a well rounded way to run a business but...

Cons

...the school district, like any other state or county job has it's issues. There are a lot of polotics and it sometimes takes a long time to get something done. Often you will hear that there is no money to do that then you will turn around and see money being wasted on something that makes absolutely no sense. I heard a recent evaluation on the departments was done and the overall results where that the lack of communication and organization is the big fault.

I would also suggest that you join the union if you can. They might be small and it may seem like they are very visible, but they have saved me often from loosing my job over stupid things that I didn't do.

It's also hard sometimes to advance unless you already have an in. They might be following the proper procedures in posting the position district wide, but they will still often hire who they want within.

Stop assuming that your classified staff will work for free. We often feel as though we are at the bottom of the barrel with school admin, and are asked to work twice as hard.

Need to Remove the Bullies from the Administration Building

Former Employee - Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pedro Martinez is a great Superintendent and he REALLY cares about the well-being of the students. Given enough time and community support, he will make the necessary management changes.

Cons

Good 'ol Boy Network is very strong.
    Women are not respected in many departments as serious professionals.
    Finances are poorly managed and the least paid employees along with the community are regularly asked to make up financial shortfalls.

Clean house in regards to senior-level management.
    Encourage long-time employees to update their skills.
    Adjust pay to match skillset and performance.
    Hold employees accountable to positive progress in managing the district in all areas.

Only "game" in town

Former Employee - School Counselor in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - School Counselor in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good retirement, good health care, some wonderful people to work with, great kids in all schools.

Cons

Unless you advance to administration, you have no chance of a really good salary. The organization is very "top heavy". There are far too many people who don't work with students, but make the most money.

Just for fun, do a percentage of how many (administrators) you have ... and by definition they don't even work with students. Put the money where the "rubber meets the road" and the children will benefit.... By the way "CEO" is no longer Paul Dugan (I'd have given him a "thumbs up"...it's now Pedro Martinez.

Awful

Former Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Retirement benefits are good, but be aware of Social Security offsets. The students are generally great and respectful, teaching colleagues are generally good to work with.

Cons

Teachers have virtually no rights and are disposed of very easily of if a principal doesn't like them. There is no real, effective union in place; the "association" is more often than not in bed with the school district. Principals and other administrators are backed to the hilt, and, if you challenge a termination, you will find the hearings are rigged in violation of the law. School district does not follow the law, and you must have access to an outside attorney to salvage your career with them or settle outside of court.

Nepotism and cronyism are still the rule in hiring at this district despite "reforms" that were put in place to avoid it. The only jobs available to outsiders are either high-needs jobs or jobs nobody else wants.

The district needs to FIRE--not promote, demote, or reassign--principals and other administrators who screw up. Scapegoating teachers for the screw-ups of principals is not the answer, nor is giving principals second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh chances.

Hoops, hoops and more hoops to jump through.

Current Employee - Teacher in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work for an excellent administrator who works hard to provide our staff with current professional development.

Cons

WCSD is a disjointed system. In my opinion, the district would have greater success if it shrunk in size and broke into a few smaller districts.

Overall, nice place to work. Too many administrators.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement and lots of trainings available. Very tech savvy.

Cons

Lower pay than other districts in Nevada, despite size and needy student population.