Washoe County Schools Reviews

2.6
Pedro Martinez

1. Great Workplace

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

One of the best places to work in!!!

Cons

Must be willing to take tasks at any time

Out of 3 different school districts in 2 different states, this was my WORST EXPERIENCE EVER

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher
    Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) You can get a job easily
    2) The pupils really need help

Cons

1) The salaries are NOT comparable to surrounding areas and school districts. Admins make as much money as administrators in New York or Los Angeles and teachers make less than any of the surrounding districts. The district takes away teacher and support staff, increases class sizes to create new admin positions. It doesn't make sense!
    2) If you aren't friends with the staff (teachers or admins. etc.), good luck. They will make you and your life miserable. This had a lot to do with my moving on. I had a 2nd job and was "blacklisted" because I had to work rather than attend "staff social events" at local bars and restaurants after school hours.
    3) If there are any friends or relatives of the admin or those close to then that wants a job, they will get it. The interviews are merely procedure. None of the other applicants are even considered.
    4) There are NO rights for the teachers - even as members of the union. If anyone wants you gone, it's REALLY easy to do.

Advice to Management

Start talking to the parents more and the principals less. Do away with myPGS. Stop adding different classrooms requirements and let us actually TEACH THE KIDS!

Lasted 3 years in this district...

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- easy time getting a job even though it may not be the school you want
    - 15 days of sick leave (mine were almost used up for mental health days not due to students, but due to staff...)
    - dental benefits

Cons

- like many here mentioned, the salaries here are way too top heavy. admins. make as much money as admins. in new york, la, chicago, etc. while teachers and counselors make hardly anything (really the pay ratio here does not make sense)
    - nepotism is very high here
    - new evaluation system makes me extremely easy for admins to get rid of staff
    - if the staff (teachers or admins. etc.) doesn't personally like you, good luck lasting at your school- this was largely the reason why i ended up leaving (overweight older staff is threatened by younger, thinner staff as silly as that sounds);
    - probationary and admin. has a relative they want for your job? pack up because you won't have your job the next year
    - staff looks down on you if you actually take your 30 minute pupil free lunch instead of constantly allowing students in your room

anyway i ended up getting a position near me in truckee so i was happy to leave this horrible district

Advice to Management

get rid of mypgs, ratify the salary scales even though it won't happen

Questionable Leadership and Grossly Insufficient Resources

Current Employee - Educator in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Educator in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools

Pros

If you love working with young adults (children) and problem-solving every day, then this is a great profession to be in, which is germane to the profession, not the organization. As a profession, the organization responds to educator burn-out by allowing additional time off, such as 15 sick days per year, extended holiday periods, and summers off.

Cons

Salaries are historically low with this school district, yet the organization is top-heavy with multiple layers of high salary positions not connected to teaching students.
    Organizational policy is established to make the district look good on paper rather than to foster productive, proactive objectives.
    There is a distinct disconnect between upper management and the operational component of the district, resulting in questionable guidelines and failed objectives.
    Morale is low and employee turnover is on the rise.

While they are trying, they have a long way to go to get to where they should be.

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping students grow and learn is always good. There are a few leaders in the district who have caught the vision.

Cons

The low pay will never attract well qualified, motivated educators. It's unfortunate.

7. One of the best school districts in country

Former Employee - Upper Management in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WCSD has made enormous strides in terms of education, programs, and hiring good teachers, and is the best school district in the state by far. Their graduation rates are the highest of any urban district. They had the superintendent of the year for the country in Heath Morrison, and current superintendent Pedro Martinez is hard-working and efficient. WCSD has good schools and struggling schools, good principals and poor principals, good teachers and poor teachers, just like in every large district. It's the largest employer in northern Nevada, so lots of room for movement as an employee.

Cons

Nevada as a state does not value education. The voters continuously vote against funding for schools. This hurts WCSD more than anything, since it has to do more with less resources. The district is struggling to shake off a perception that it doesn't manage funding well. This is bogus, since it's pretty lean.

Advice to Management

Fire poor teachers and principals quickly, don't just move them to different schools.

8. dont make a career out of it.

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

no weekend or nights. got days off whe needed .liked alot of folks I worked with ,and still keep in touch

Cons

no advancement EVER!!!. did away with our step raises for 3 years .service center would never think of considering anyone from any of their schools for advancment to the center .

Advice to Management

you have alot of ladies out there in your schools that are very talented ,and I dont mean at serving lunch alot of us have office and extensive computer skills..maybe think about recruiting from within once in a while .

9. The school district has it's issues

Current Employee - Classified in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Classified in Reno, NV

I have been working at Washoe County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The school district has been around for a long time and has a very large amount of employees. It's good to know that you are there doing your part to help further the children's education. They do offer benefits and for the most part seem to have a well rounded way to run a business but...

Cons

...the school district, like any other state or county job has it's issues. There are a lot of polotics and it sometimes takes a long time to get something done. Often you will hear that there is no money to do that then you will turn around and see money being wasted on something that makes absolutely no sense. I heard a recent evaluation on the departments was done and the overall results where that the lack of communication and organization is the big fault.

I would also suggest that you join the union if you can. They might be small and it may seem like they are very visible, but they have saved me often from loosing my job over stupid things that I didn't do.

It's also hard sometimes to advance unless you already have an in. They might be following the proper procedures in posting the position district wide, but they will still often hire who they want within.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming that your classified staff will work for free. We often feel as though we are at the bottom of the barrel with school admin, and are asked to work twice as hard.

Need to Remove the Bullies from the Administration Building

Former Employee - Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pedro Martinez is a great Superintendent and he REALLY cares about the well-being of the students. Given enough time and community support, he will make the necessary management changes.

Cons

Good 'ol Boy Network is very strong.
    Women are not respected in many departments as serious professionals.
    Finances are poorly managed and the least paid employees along with the community are regularly asked to make up financial shortfalls.

Advice to Management

Clean house in regards to senior-level management.
    Encourage long-time employees to update their skills.
    Adjust pay to match skillset and performance.
    Hold employees accountable to positive progress in managing the district in all areas.

Only "game" in town

Former Employee - School Counselor in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - School Counselor in Sparks, NV

I worked at Washoe County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good retirement, good health care, some wonderful people to work with, great kids in all schools.

Cons

Unless you advance to administration, you have no chance of a really good salary. The organization is very "top heavy". There are far too many people who don't work with students, but make the most money.

Advice to Management

Just for fun, do a percentage of how many (administrators) you have ... and by definition they don't even work with students. Put the money where the "rubber meets the road" and the children will benefit.... By the way "CEO" is no longer Paul Dugan (I'd have given him a "thumbs up"...it's now Pedro Martinez.