Washtenaw Community College
www.wccnet.edu Ann Arbor, MI

Washtenaw Community College Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Great stepping stone, supportive co-workers

Security (Former Employee)

I worked at Washtenaw Community College part-time

ProsSupportive and Fun Co-Workers
College president very supportive of department
Afternoon and midnight supervisors great people to work under
Opportunities for extra shifts

ConsDay supervisor on power trip, always pointing out flaws, never used positive reinforcement
To switch from PT to FT must interview with external candidates, often passed over
No flexible scheduling
No benefits for part time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementFill open full time positions with those already working part time. Then fill the open part time positions with external candidates. If multiple PT employees interested in FT slot then base it on seniority. No reason to have to interview like an external candidate for a FT slot for the EXACT SAME JOB you are already doing part time. If you are capable of working PT then your obviously able to handle working two extra days a week. Also day supervisor needs to be more engaging with employees and provide them with positive reinforcement and constructive criticism, instead of only pointing out flaws and acting like he is too good to talk to you.

Part-Time Tutor in Learning Support Services

Math Tutor (Former Employee)

I worked at Washtenaw Community College part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPAT
developed great personal relationships with students and coworkers as well as teachers
flexibility to schedule shifts each semester to make taking classes possible
great job for a full-time student
ability to meet potential private tutoring clients

Conslimited to 20 hours/week
many students abuse the ability to receive free tutoring and expect you to do their homework for them
limited parking and meal options
no benefits

I'm learning the technical terms for all the information I already know so I am prepared to take my ASE's.

Mechanic (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is some awesome teachers in charge of the Auto program. I have learned a lot and I'm almost finished

ConsIt is a smaller campus and I am wanting to get my Engineering degree and I will have to transfer to a university and I'm unsure if most of my credits will even transfer.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the little guys and don't take them for granted.

Good starting point

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible with school, and free classes.

ConsNo upward mobility, narrow minded leaders

i have experience in technology and computer

Instructional Media Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College for more than 10 years

Prosinteract instruction and student on college level

Consits part time job , i want ful time job

Easy, common-sense requirements, yet static and partially obscured requirements.

Note Taker (Former Employee)

I worked at Washtenaw Community College part-time for less than a year

ProsVery easy, once I figured it out it was very straightforward.

ConsI was extremely confused about what to do and when.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry making an orientation paper or something, maybe with a little map of the office you turn your notes in. I was completely lost the first week.

High quality people, limited career possibilities and little to no mobility.

Tutor (Current Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWashtenaw staff and faculty are very understanding, helpful, and are all around good colleagues.

ConsThe benefits are limited, the hours are limited, and the college chooses to keep everyone at part time so they don't have to pay benefits for anyone.

I've had an unbelievably positive experience at Washtenaw Community College exceeding all my expectations.

Associate Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College

ProsWashtenaw Community has a very talented and committed staff. It offers an excellent environment for one to express themselves and make a positive difference and contribution to the lives of the students it serves.

ConsI would be hard pressed to find a negative aspect to Washtenaw Community College. If I had to find one fault it would be that it doesn't have sufficient parking for all the staff and students, at least at peak times of each semester; however, that will be correctly when the new four level parking structure is completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more engaging with the entire staff. Broaden communications from the bottom up so all staff are clear on the strategic direction the college is headed.

Math Tutor in Learning Support Services/Mathematics

Math Tutor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College

ProsThe community is very connected. There are plenty of opportunities to move around from one job to another on campus (although no necessarily to move up).

ConsIt is difficult to get a promotion. Many of the people in power are planning on working there until they retire, so higher jobs do not open up very often.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be very beneficial to have more in depth performance reviews. Also, student interaction is important for every person at Washtenaw Community College, not just "lower-level" employees.

GREAT PLACE

Electrical Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Washtenaw Community College

ProsGreat people to work with, various locations for assignments, given freedom to make decisions for assignment completion. You also get to have the chance to take classes for free.

ConsCertain managers can be rude. The way the assignments are issued can be frustrating and people you need to please can also be annoying. They sometimes want above and beyond and still complain, when you do your best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management classes at the school on how to treat employees properly. Then a few of them need to learn the various means of management and how in modern day, theory X leadership style is inadequate.

Worked for Washtenaw Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washtenaw Community College reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Washtenaw Community College employees.