Washtenaw Community College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
CEO

1. Solid work, solid people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Washtenaw Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, knowledgable and supportive upper management.

Cons

Varies from one department to the next.

2. Campus Safety

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College part-time

Pros

Great management, friendly coworkers, good working environment. No micromanagement with job freedom. Decent pay.

Cons

Full time isn't offered very often. Little room to pick up more hours.

3. Good place to work

Current Employee - Director in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of vacation time

Cons

Politics, some people too entrenched

Advice to Management

Merit pay would not be bad.

5. Part-Time instructor

Current Employee - College Writing Adjunct Professor in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - College Writing Adjunct Professor in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of academic freedom. Not required to attend meetings. Your teaching is rated by students only. Competitive wage.

Cons

Broad range of ability and needs with students. Lots of no-shows and excuse-makers as well as high-functioning high-school for college credit students, mixed ages and nationalities, so you can feel like you've got 3-4 classes in one.

6. Knowledgeable, helpful, supportive faculty

Current Employee - English Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

The English department puts on enough events (with free food and drinks!) that you'll pick up more teaching tricks than you'll know what to do in a single semester. Hanging around in the Writing Center (grading or meeting with students, checking your mailbox or the free books table) will bring you into the company of some very sharp and patient minds. A great place to teach.

Cons

It's all about the SOQs, and the pay is okay.

Advice to Management

A balance between faculty evaluation and student evaluation might produce stronger instructors. I've heard of some very effective instructors getting slammed on their SOQs because they were a little harsh with their grading, not because they were terrible teachers. But how can we verify this? If students know they're going to fail, they're likely to say crappy things about the person who's been laboring to prepare lectures and grade tons of essays in a timely manner, especially if that person isn't always rosy. We have an excellent faculty; why not send a few full-timers into the classroom to see how the newbies are doing?

7. Great place to teach

Current Employee - English Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Students are respectful, on time, want to be in their class, complimentary to their teachers.

Cons

Part-time status through first 3 years and only allowed to teach 2 classes per semester. Then, possible adjunct status or fulltime status. Continuance depends on rating students give teachers in SOQs (Student Opinion Questionnaire). Cannot take another part-time position in another arena while teaching. It appears that fulltime teaching positions are rare. Good leadership. Colleagues are highly intelligent and stimulating.

Advice to Management

Teachers who receive good SOQs and want to work part-time at another position on campus should be considered.

8. Great place to work -- great leadership!

I have been working at Washtenaw Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had the pleasure for working for an amazing organization run by a great president, Dr. Rose Bellanca. The college has been doing very well over the past few years thanks to the current leadership. Great benefits, time off and wonderful working conditions.

Cons

Faculty union leadership seems to be trying to create a negative environment in their attempt to get rid of the president.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great work!

9. Generally a good place to work while in transition. Like most academic settings, full-time work for instructors is rare.

Current Employee - Part-time English Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Part-time English Instructor in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Part-time instructors have a lot of flexibility. In the English Department, our Dean was a strong instructor advocate. I really enjoyed my colleagues who were a diverse and stimulating group.

Cons

Full-time faculty get first pick of the schedule. Every semester is different and if you are new to the staff, you may or may not work. Instructor work spaces are tough to come by - no place to keep work, no offices.

10. Crazy, Crazy, Crazy...Do not apply here for any job! Chaotic mess of a place.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Washtenaw Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there, but most of the smart ones are gone.

Cons

Insane environment. I worked as a program manager for 6-months, I was supposed to bring in big name speakers for free. I had no support. The Vice President of my area had no visible skills. The Executive Director of my department was a completely unsuccessful tyrant,he failed to meet his sales quota, so they promoted him. He fired a lady for disagreeing with him. He ruled by fear, the administration loved him. What a mess.

Advice to Management

There would be no point in giving anyone in this administration any advice.

11. Terrible, horrible place to work. Management is incompetent, unstable, and abusive.

Former Employee - Director in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Washtenaw Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you can work with students it may improve the quality some. The money is good, all you have to do is show that you are loyal, unethical, and can be counted on to lie, about anything and everything.

Cons

Its not just that the administration lies, its that they do it with such ease....no concern for students or community.

Advice to Management

There is no leadership. There are no values or culture. This place has nothing to offer.

RSS Feed </> Embed