Wasserstrom

2.9

Rodney Wasserstrom

Great Community Presence, Poor Employee Support

I have been working at Wasserstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is always involved in community work. Whether it's Rebuilding Together, blood drives, food drives, etc. this company truly cares about Columbus. Our customer service team is a great opportunity for someone just out of college: steady Monday-Friday hours, benefits, paid time off, things that aren't that easy to get fresh from school anymore. If you happen to make good impressions on the right people, you will be promoted quickly and your hard work will be appreciated.

Cons

If you don't happen to be so popular with the right people, movement will be very hard. Sure, in some of these cases I've seen it's because these people aren't really Sales material due to personality traits, work ethic, etc. but I've seen too many times a really hard worker who does a great job go unnoticed because he/she isn't gossip buddies with a supervisor.
    It's very difficult to make good money here unless you are an account manager with high-activity accounts (these positions are few and far between). Raises will always cap out at 2% if you're able to even negotiate that. Rewards for being a good employee consist of more work and covering for our less competent coworkers.

Recession is over. Look to the future. Plan accordingly.

I have been working at Wasserstrom

Pros

People are great to work with. Very community oriented and philanthropic.

Cons

Too much favoritism. Many managers have no business being there. They must either have family ties or have dirt on others. Max of 2 percent pay raises is a total joke.

Listen to your employees. Don't assume you know all. Just be you have been in business for over 100 years doesn't make you all knowing.

Great company culture and job security! Since 1902! WOW

I have been working at Wasserstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being able to pick my own set schedule really helped me out. Work life balance is understood here and management is fair. I started as a temporary worker and after proving my capability was hired on internally with the company. They know good talent when they see it! Paid time off, Operational bonus's, Medical benefits, room for growth are just a few of the perks to working here. Plus we get a food truck every Tuesday in the parking lot!

Cons

Training programs could use some work for the new hires.

Work on training programs for new hires to keep teams running smoothly.

Overuse of temp workers makes this place unpleasant.

Former Employee - Cabinet Builder in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cabinet Builder in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wasserstrom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work is near constant and most employees get along.

Cons

Pay is terrible. This company treats temp workers like garbage. It's difficult to get hired on by the company itself (instead of a temp agency) and they disregard temp workers quickly. Communication between temp agencies and this company is terrible.

Start hiring employees for yourself or at least maintain constant contact with the temp agency. Have a system set in place to keep management informed of temp workers' time off. Seperate the upper management duties to alleviate unavailability issues. Bring on a hiring manager who is not the overall facility manager. Utilize the new and safer tools that you purchase months ago. The new table saws (SawStop) were sitting in their boxes for the entire time I worked there. The older saws were definitely not in the greatest condition either.

Not the place to be if you're in IT

I worked at Wasserstrom

Pros

Nice people. Open to working remotely. Free parking... uh, I really can't think of anything else.

Cons

The opposite of cutting edge. Not open to new ideas. Lack of software testers. Restrictive internet policy. Very old and outdated building.

Great full time schedule that one can balance w/rest of life; A fair job but hard to advance in.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Wasserstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Consistent hours
    - regular payment
    - Management is fair
    - Teaches you how to multi-task
    - Great work environment relative to other call centers.
    - Can balance well with other aspects of life.
    - Work is busy, but consistent
    - Family Owned company that generally treats most employees with respect.

Cons

- Hard to advance and a somewhat competitive environment.
    - Pay is lower than relative industry averages (at least from looking at Bureau of Labor and Statistics and Salary.com)
    - compensation and benefits are low (related to above).

Insides Sales Rep/ Customer Serivce

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Wasserstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with, competitive pay. Great communication between managers

Cons

Lack of respect for reps, No way to advance. too many mistakes that get blamed on wrong people. Senior management tends to favor sales rather than customer service.

Listen to your employees, especially those you want to stay in the company.

An interesting place with too much politics.

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Wasserstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at N. Wasserstrom & Sons. It could be challenging at times and the vendors was always very helpful for me. There was some good people there that I could count on and knew that they was very good at what they did. It was a nice place to work on your sales skills and meet some interesting people.

Cons

Politics was a big part of the company environment and could make it hard to get some projects out on time

I would say to work making it easier for internal departments to work together, instead of fighting each other and trying to place blame for any mistakes.

Wasserstrom needs to reevaluate priorities fast!

Former Employee - Inside Sales (Customer Service) in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales (Customer Service) in Columbus, OH

I worked at Wasserstrom

Pros

Convenient location, down town with free parking. Good perks such as free food and kitchen supplies. Co-workers are a blast!

Cons

Wasserstrom has spiraled downward from a company that cares for it's employees and attempts to make them happy to keep customer service at it's best, to another "call center" that's okay with high turnover rates and overall low moral. They were not prepared for the transition to the new computer system, and the employees are bearing the brunt of it. Instead of using this as an opportunity to treat the employees to little moral building things like jeans days and outings, they cracked down on the dress code even harder (unless you're a thin, pretty, woman. Then you can wear whatever you want...). Management is way out of touch.

I recommend passing out forms where employees can anonymously rate you based on their personal experience. Make changes accordingly. Oh, and lighten up on the dress code.

Thank you for upgrading our systems. and keep up the great work.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Wasserstrom

Pros

The stability of the company. they have been in business for over 100 years.

Cons

the software being used. but this is being upgraded this year

Listen to your employees. We are on the front line with our customers. Remember that we are always on your side.