Waste Management

Waste Management Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner

David P. Steiner

Pros
  • great benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot(in 31 reviews)

• Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating(in 16 reviews)

• Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av(in 16 reviews)

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits and if you don't need to take the insurance, they will pay you. For the most part it's a pretty good company to work for, and they believe in community involvement.

ConsThe pay raises kind of suck. They used to give us an option to go take classes, but they changed that before I left the company.

Not the most warm workplace environment

IT Business Analyst I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI was fortunate enough to have a traveling position as to allow me limited time in the office.

ConsAgeism, very slow decision making processes, lots of bureaucracy, and a very conservative environment.

Waste Management is growing at a fast pace, but forgets to invest in their own people that are helping it grow.

Roll Off Dispatcher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsManagement is helpful and will go to support your decision making as long is it makes logical sense and is in line with company goals. In operations specifically, you are the brain of the company and the everyday workload can be challenging and engaging.

ConsThe operations department of this company has employees that are some of the most knowledgeable within the company, but there are constant silly errors by the customer service and corporate departments that require fixing by operations or else they will adversely affect the customers and clients. Time off is not good, it requires you be employed at two years in order to receive a full two weeks off of paid vacation. Operations often works long hours and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you can't hold workers accountable for errors that other departments are responsible for.

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We value your dedication and appreciate your hard work.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good outlook for company's business initiatives; is forgetting that people are the foundation for strong growth

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNew technologies and new initiatives that the company has to offer
    Have a chance to learn many new things
    Some of the peers are great coworkers who have stayed put for a while

ConsRed-tape for many decisions
    Pay isnt the greatest
    Too many initiatives going on with no clarity or specifics being provided to keep employee morale up
    Company and HR's attitude for employee growth needs a overhaul
    Is focused on meeting /making money for shareholders while the employees take a salary hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind that the company is growing because of the employees contribution and are assets.
    Overworking them and not keeping the salary growth inline with the Company's profit growth isnt fair.

Best of the Best!

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery dedicated individuals...wonderful place to work.

ConsNew BU did not stand up to the normal company excellence

It is a good company.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is a good company to work for, many good benefits and wage and they make a lot of strides in environmental aspects.

ConsAs with many large corporations you sometimes feel you are just a number regardless of your contributions. I think there is some disconnection or unrealistic goals placed because most Corporate employees have never worked in the divisions where the interface with customers takes place to really understand the challenges and what effects some of the Corporate decisions can have on customer defection.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should care a little more about the employees other than just related to benefits. Engaged employees work harder.

May 19, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We know things get hectic at the corporate office sometimes, and appreciate your continued dedication while the whole team strives to reach our goals as a company.

Great Experience with Industry Leader

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsInnovative company within industry and continuously striving to be an industry leader concerning waste to energy efforts, recycling and collection logistics and disposal strategies. Plenty of opportunities across various disciplines - landfills, MRFs, sales, OPS, Corporate. Huge public company, very stable and strong financially, great Senior Leadership with plenty of industry experience.

ConsCentralization of various departments moving away from achieving results through local relationships and efficient channels of communication to slow moving, inefficient standardized processes. Size of company can be a disadvantage also -- too much red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquiring and keeping good talent should be more of a primary focus. Too much turnover with young, intelligent, proven and motivated employees due to apathetic and content management.

May 19, 2014

We appreciate your insightful and well-written comments. Your feedback is extremely important to us and will be shared anonymously with Talent Acquisition's management.

OGG Intern

OGG Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat group of people, interesting work. There is a new technology or company to review every day and you get to work with a lot of like-minded people

ConsSomewhat isolated strategically and practically from the rest of the organization. Small group, so promotion potential is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake strategic objectives for the group clear.

If all you want is a job...

Waste Management Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Good downtown location.

ConsWithin IT Infrastructure, Director level and above is a joke. There is no accountability above manager. Double standards and politics are the norm. There is no advancement opportunities. Directors and VP's make sure of that. They do not want anyone to cut into their bonus pool. Frequently flat out lied to about promotions and salary increases. You are just a number. Zero loyalty or reward for going above and beyond. Also, huge push to offshore to India. Very low moral and horrible working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job vetting some of your Directors. Most of them are clueless and technically incompetent. They do know how to talk a good game.

Long hours good benefits

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood Benefits, Stock Purchase Program

ConsLong Hours, Laying off mid level managers with over 20 years common.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the Management turnover.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!