Waste Management

Updated September 10, 2014
2.7

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner
David P. Steiner

Pros
  • great benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot (in 31 reviews)

• Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, good benefits, lacking management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity to gain experience

Cons

lacking management, constant changes in goals, limited recognition for employees

Rewarding if you make your own path

Current Employee - Sale & Marketing  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sale & Marketing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a large company with many disciplines (transportation, logistics, sales, IT) in which someone can develop their career.

Cons

Frequent, and periodically large, reorgs are highly disruptive and set projects back while good folks end up elsewhere.

People who have worked at WM for a long time are highly loyal, but that loyalty is constantly challenged by changing priorities and layoffs.

Sep 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your hard work and dedication, as well as you sharing your feedback with us.

Good pay, but very unstable

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good, and there are opportunities to learn about different technologies and aspects of the business. Benefits package is decent and comparable to other large companies.

Cons

Very unstable, with massive staff reductions about every 2 years. No sense of security, no sense of employees being important to the company. Going to work every day not knowing whether it will be your last day.

Your employees are the ones making all the money for you. Go beyond words and truly treat them like deserving human beings.

Sep 17, 2014Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your hard work, dedication, and feedback. This is valuable to us as we strive to continuously improve our company's culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management at Corporate HQ

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will get to see the inner workings of the higher level executives.

Cons

Benefits have been dwindling for years. They discontinued continuing education, there are layoffs every 2 years or more and constant reorganization. The goal is always to cut costs - even if you are profitable employee bringing in revenue - you will get cut. Everyone eventually does.

None - they are nonresponsive, unless you can drive up their dividends for the thousands of stocks they are issued on the backs of hardworking employees. Fix basics needs on drivers trucks - a wooden dowel to keep a drivers seat in place is an embarrassment to the industry.

Wonderful people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice location wonderful team

Cons

No cons - everything is great

Jul 31, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the kudos! We appreciate your hard work.

WM treats Customers & Employees like TRASH!

Current Employee - Corporate Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Waste is a Fortune 200 company that has potential to be great. The company pays very well and has great benefits. Waste Management is huge and there are opportunities to build a career.

Cons

The culture at Waste is very toxic and negative. The company doesn't value employees or customers. There are no training programs for supervisors or managers, leaders do not communicate with employees, departments do not interact with one another & customers suffer because of it. Nepotism is the norm. Every year the company has a hiring freeze/layoff period around August, regardless of the financial health of the company. Managers & executive leaders use intimidation to control their employees. I've worked for great organizations throughout my career, & Waste is by far the worst. It's truly sad because the company has the potential to be great if they would stop treating their employees & customers like trash. No pun intended.

Invest in training programs to develop leaders & employee engagement programs. Every year you layoff employees and then rehire for the same positions. That's wasteful spending! It's more cost effective to retain current employees than to hire new employees. Listen to your customers; they are telling you that the service they receive from WM does not match the high prices they pay. If you want to be the high end service provider, you need to provide high quality service.

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition

We are very sorry you feel this way. This is not what we like to hear. Regarding training, we would encourage you to explore the vast array of training programs available through Waste Management ... More

Not the most warm workplace environment

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst I  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst I in Houston, TX

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was fortunate enough to have a traveling position as to allow me limited time in the office.

Cons

Ageism, very slow decision making processes, lots of bureaucracy, and a very conservative environment.

Waste Management is growing at a fast pace, but forgets to invest in their own people that are helping it grow.

Current Employee - Roll Off Dispatcher  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Roll Off Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is helpful and will go to support your decision making as long is it makes logical sense and is in line with company goals. In operations specifically, you are the brain of the company and the everyday workload can be challenging and engaging.

Cons

The operations department of this company has employees that are some of the most knowledgeable within the company, but there are constant silly errors by the customer service and corporate departments that require fixing by operations or else they will adversely affect the customers and clients. Time off is not good, it requires you be employed at two years in order to receive a full two weeks off of paid vacation. Operations often works long hours and weekends.

Realize that you can't hold workers accountable for errors that other departments are responsible for.

Jun 23, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We value your dedication and appreciate your hard work.

Good outlook for company's business initiatives; is forgetting that people are the foundation for strong growth

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New technologies and new initiatives that the company has to offer
    Have a chance to learn many new things
    Some of the peers are great coworkers who have stayed put for a while

Cons

Red-tape for many decisions
    Pay isnt the greatest
    Too many initiatives going on with no clarity or specifics being provided to keep employee morale up
    Company and HR's attitude for employee growth needs a overhaul
    Is focused on meeting /making money for shareholders while the employees take a salary hit.

Keep in mind that the company is growing because of the employees contribution and are assets.
    Overworking them and not keeping the salary growth inline with the Company's profit growth isnt fair.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and if you don't need to take the insurance, they will pay you. For the most part it's a pretty good company to work for, and they believe in community involvement.

Cons

The pay raises kind of suck. They used to give us an option to go take classes, but they changed that before I left the company.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!