Waste Management

Waste Management Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner

David P. Steiner

Pros
  • great benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot(in 31 reviews)

• Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating(in 16 reviews)

• Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av(in 16 reviews)

Overall solid place to work.

ProsThe philosophy of employees being the number one asset.

ConsNot all senior management are on board with respect to employees and their value

Advice to Senior ManagementControlling cost is important but don't cripple employee work efforts

Jul 23, 2014

We appreciate your hard work, dedication, and feedback. This is valuable to us as we strive to continuously improve our processes.

Wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNice location wonderful team

ConsNo cons - everything is great

Most money I ever made at any company!

Inside Commercial Representative (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsPay is excellent, better than decent raises, ability to make money if you put the work into the job. Best boss I ever had, no micro-managementat all.

ConsUnrealalistic goals set by corporate, 1/2 hour lunch,benefits not being the absolute best, and terrible training are just about the only thing negative about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the ICR position back to the local districts. Your customers will be more appreciative of the local presence.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quick paced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly pay, good health insurance, vacation and holiday pay.

ConsToo many supervisors! Most of them not qualified. Too little advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know you are trying to meet your numbers to look good to upper management however try to create a heroic work environment that would want us to work hard for you.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good. The 401k is one of the best. The company matches up to 6% and you're fully vested from the start. The bad news is, you have to wait 90 days before you get any health benefits. That's a long time to go without coverage. Especially if you have small children.

ConsIf you like change - you'll love Waste Management. There is little to no support. You will be responsible for managing every aspect of your accounts. You'll need to be an expert in billing, operations, sales, administration and anything else your customers will want. It makes it almost impossible to take a vacation and not come back to a mountain of emails. Operations runs the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow it down. Change is good, but try to get something implemented and working well before moving on to the next change. This constant change is like drinking from a firehose constantly. Let your salespeople sell. They are spending over 80% of their time handling non-sales issues. If you want the employees' opinion stop demanding that they only be positive.

Good company with growth opportunities

Supervisor (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood company that values their employees and provides opportunities for growth / promotions. Ongoing improvements with systems and technology is a big plus. Good benefits.

ConsConstant change. Although this is not necessarily a con, because the company is always changing to continue to improve, it is difficult to implement multiple changes coming from all areas of the company at the same time.

i love working for waste management

Prosgreat benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot. fun people to work with and nice new equiptment

Consmanagement could do a better job at fallowing up on things brought to there attention. needs to compeat better with local companys

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and give good feedback and not tear us down

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks for sharing your feedback! This is valuable to us as we strive to improve everyone's experiences as members of the WM family.

Good experience dealing with a variety of dynamic issues

Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHard working co-workers that care about their work and environment. Decent benefits for workers & families. Alot of personal freedom to get work completed.

ConsPoor equipment & site maintenance causing more interruptions. Constantly trying to "save" money by not performing work. General attitude from front line emplyees is not positive due to continuosly being asked to do more with less. Very compartmentalized institution & goals are not aligned with the success of the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pressuring the front lines constantly. You have honest, hard working individuals that have not been rewarded for thier commitments for many years now.

" Smoke and Mirrors"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe majority of the co-workers were fun to work with but they are very pricey for the service they provide. They did upgrade to Sales force but they were still using obsolete system that sometime working with the new technology made things complex. The majority of the customers were wonderful to work with but they sometimes received the short end of the stick.

ConsWM do not treat the worker well. Management works the employees to death and continually decrease compensation but set the bar, so high it was in some cases unobtainable. Management was compensated for work the employee accomplished, but the employees were not given the compensation they deserved for working to keeping WM in business. If you are a supervisor or above you made money but did not always make themselves available to customers that wanted to speak with a manager. The time card system was down more than it worked.Basically if you work there do what you have to do keep you heard down and your mouth closed otherwise by become a moving target.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate need to listen to their employees on the ground and stop making decision from the top down. The corporate management is not working with the day to day customer base and even when they did come to the office to talk to the people on the ground. The employees were so fearful of being fired, people kept their mouth closed as they had seen employees that express themselves fired in the pass.

Sweat shop

Prosgood people to work with

Conslong hours and crazy expectations

Jul 23, 2014

We are sorry you feel this way - this isn't what we want to hear. We recognize that the front line is a challenging place to work, and hope you express this with your local management to get this ... More

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!