Waste Management Reviews

Reset
2.9
Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner
David P. Steiner

Pros
  • Good pay, most of employees are good people (in 37 reviews)

• Good benefits / annual bonus (if at all paid) (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours for salary workers with the management attitude of if you don't like it we can replace you (in 18 reviews)

• Central Dispatch & customer service do not have the ability to address customer's needs (in 17 reviews)

Driver

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Can work outdoors with minimal supervision - and less if you are safe and just do your job the way you are asked to do it. Overtime is great. Keeps me in shape.

Cons

Equipment doesn't look like what you see on TV but maintenance will do all they can to keep you running.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to get to the field for a realistic view of what's going on. Invest in our trucks - CNG or Diesel. Don't put your head in the sand and ask us to be more efficient with trucks that are now another year older. Being a price leader is great but there is a balance and we can be MORE efficient if we didn't have to drive by all the stops we had because of customers we've lost due to gouging.

2. Supervised disptchers

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

Freedom to be yourself
    Ongoing training and development

Cons

Hard to move up in management

Advice to Management

Be more involved

me

Former Employee - Garbage Truck Driver in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Garbage Truck Driver in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

ok company to work for if you are a driver

Cons

the guys on the back of the truck go through hell

Advice to Management

be upfront with employees

5. Collections

Current Employee - Credit Analyst, Senior Credit Analyst, Senior Collections Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong Company but too greedy

Cons

Call Center is horrific when you have been here long term.

Advice to Management

Too much to fall upon deaf ears

6. Inside commercial rep

I worked at Waste Management (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are the highlight of this job! The latest shift ends at 5:30. There is also a shift that allows you to work four 10 hour days! The pay is decent for the amount of hours worked, but only if you're in the sales queue. It sucks if you're not, but I don't think most of them even care because they can hardly make a sale anyway. My supervisors, Andy and Jake were awsome! Lastly, the popcorn is amazing there :)

Cons

It's hard to get out of the dept. Many of the people in Icr have worked there years and just keep applying to other jobs at WM. They either hire externally and give the better jobs to someone that knows someone in leadership or they promote a person that sucks at their job to push them out of the dept. Plus, my coworkers and myself didn't even get an opportunity to interview for many of the positions even though we are qualified.

This place was also extremely dramatic and catty. Even men would be fighting over sales with each other. I really just couldn't be bothered with everyone complaining. I think a lot of the cattiness had to do with them splitting up the dept into two queues (sales and generalists). People would always try to call each other out for cheating and such! Plus, everyone in the sales queue was trying to stay in it and the ones that were not barely stood a chance to make their way into the sales queue.

It was also kind of a boring place to work. The "Social Club" or whatever it was called tried to make it fun, but it didn't even come close to what some of my previous jobs did for their employees. Plus, most of the people didn't even participate in the activities. We also stopped having sales contests and stuff because they really couldn't anymore after they split up the queues.

I wouldn't suggest this place for a recent college or even a college grad period. Go somewhere that is more fun and with more opportunities. Now, if you're the type of person that is cool making 14 dollars an hour for the rest of your life in the Icr dept and just looking for a paycheck, then apply today!

Advice to Management

There are many skilled people in the dept that have a lot of knowledge about the company... Move the top performers up!!! Also, don't hire these random people for leadership just because they know someone. Many of them are completely clueless and no use at all in my opinion.

route manager

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

create your own schedule, work/life balance, great management, good training

Cons

broken trucks, stress of getting enough drivers

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Freedom and great pay. Fun workplace and room for advancement

Cons

No accountability. Managers need more lessons on how to hire better people.

Advice to Management

Crack down on the stagnant people that have been in the same position for years. The production that doesn't come out of them is costing the company money.

one of the good companies to work for

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

excellent people, good culture, happy environment

Cons

good until management changed in 2011.

10. Refuse

I worked at Waste Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, generally no weekends

Cons

Never pay you like they promise

Advice to Management

Get your accounting right.

Good people in a chaotic environment

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Company hires talented people who tend to be team players; The environment fosters good esprit de corp; The culture is evolving more and more to be merit-based. It also is active in charitable activities in the community

Cons

The company has a history of problems with the back office. While improving, the interrelationships between internal departments and internal processes still have many disconnects. These internal issues cause daily barriers to accomplishing one's role in the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the back office problems; Offer real incentives for personnel at all levels to offer suggestions to fix and implement solutions to these process issues.

RSS Feed </> Embed