Waste Management

Updated August 15, 2014

2.7

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner
David P. Steiner

Pros
  • great benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot (in 31 reviews)

• Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

they lie about access to HR

Pros

not the focus of this review

Cons

not vetern friendly and HR cuts you off from access

Tell the truth - You do not allow access to human resources - what a joke and lie you wrote on previous replys.

WM treats Customers & Employees like TRASH!

Current Employee - Corporate Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Waste is a Fortune 200 company that has potential to be great. The company pays very well and has great benefits. Waste Management is huge and there are opportunities to build a career.

Cons

The culture at Waste is very toxic and negative. The company doesn't value employees or customers. There are no training programs for supervisors or managers, leaders do not communicate with employees, departments do not interact with one another & customers suffer because of it. Nepotism is the norm. Every year the company has a hiring freeze/layoff period around August, regardless of the financial health of the company. Managers & executive leaders use intimidation to control their employees. I've worked for great organizations throughout my career, & Waste is by far the worst. It's truly sad because the company has the potential to be great if they would stop treating their employees & customers like trash. No pun intended.

Invest in training programs to develop leaders & employee engagement programs. Every year you layoff employees and then rehire for the same positions. That's wasteful spending! It's more cost effective to retain current employees than to hire new employees. Listen to your customers; they are telling you that the service they receive from WM does not match the high prices they pay. If you want to be the high end service provider, you need to provide high quality service.

Aug 15, 2014Talent Acquisition

We are very sorry you feel this way. This is not what we like to hear. Regarding training, we would encourage you to explore the vast array of training programs available through Waste Management ... More

Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

The fellow staff in the trenches with you day-in-and-day-out

Cons

WM Corporate needs to wake up and see what's going on in Western Canada. It's a very toxic environment.
    Huge issues with leadership. They will not address any issues and constantly stick it to the customers. They've cut off some major accounts and lost them all for the mighty dollar. They cannot see the forest through the trees. It's constantly an uphill battle as a manager to get simple things ordered. One time we ran out of toilet paper for a week! One of the staff had to purchase toilet paper for us. By the way, when you restructure your operations every year that doesn't give staff a very good feeling inside. Constantly changing direction and goals. There is absolutely no consistency in the message brought down to the employees. Extremely high turn-over of staff.

Stop managing by EBIT and start listening to employees and customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Warning: Don't work here, especially in Calgary

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Air-conditioned building and running water in the washroom

Cons

- Ever changing sales targets
    - No leadership from the guy in the corner office
    - Zero HR oversight, bullying, intimidation from managers
    - Try to get out of paying you commissions

The leadership staff in Calgary should all be fired and new, caring management should be put in place.

Aug 5, 2014Talent Acquisition

This feedback is very concerning to us and we take this very seriously. We urge you to contact the WM Ethics Hotline at 1-800-265-9381 to express your concerns.

David Steiner & Upper Management is destroying a good company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great chaos everyday! Local sites have hardworking employees! Great benefits. Sadly no one can stop the current madness that is destroying this company!

Cons

David Steiner & all upper management are not paying attention! Highest turnover in the history on Wm with customer & employees! Central Dispatch & customer service do not have the ability to address customer's needs. Technology is a great thing however, Wm has not master any of their programs and refuse to see the fractures within! SDO buzz words of "QUALITY OF LIFE" is a joke your employees are not stupid, it's all about leaner and meaner to the bottom line.

Pay attention to why,what and who! Instead of sending emails that employees now see as a joke! Take a step back and see Wm centralized location do not have the ability to service our customers properly. Stop blaming the sites due to Upper management inability to manage!

Aug 5, 2014Talent Acquisition

We are sorry you feel this way. We appreciate your hard work and dedication to the team, and have shared your feedback as we strive toward continuous improvement.

The company works in a buddy buddy system.

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great benefits and good pay.

Cons

This is a place were only buddies of management advance. Management verbally abuses workers and mistreats customers. Which resulted in the loss of customers. and people leaving and quieting on the spot.

Have an under cover person observing management. Interview lost customers to evaluate service. have human resource have a closer relationship with workers .

Hiring process is a joke

Pros

I cant come up with anything to say.

Cons

I put in a application 2 months ago, and the position that I put in for was very qualified for. Also your company says that you are "veteran friendly" but will don't even give a vet the chance to interview for a job. I was really looking forward to hopefully work for your company because I heard good things but I'm finding out that Waste Management is not all that.

You really need to take a look at your hiring process because it has a lot of problems and you rely to much on your recruiters and they have to big of an area to cover to do the job the right way!!

Horrible company! On my way out thank god!!

Current Employee - Driver  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Driver in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Fellow drivers are Freindly and are always willing to help you out providing you can find a senior driver anymore, they are all leaving

Cons

Drivers know more about the customers they service then the managers and managers don't listen to drivers. Bulling mentality, crappy equipment, trucks down more then on road.

Firings should start at top first and trickle down. You can only lose customers for so long. Your only as good as your people so try listening to them. Get rid of bonus system doesn't work. Reward managers based on performance not numbers!!!

If you love bad management decisions, favoritism/special treatment, & NO promotions from within, this place is for YOU!!

Current Employee - Residential Driver - Swing  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Residential Driver - Swing in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The only positive thing about working here is the paycheck you'll receive every week.

Cons

WM hires managers who have no industry knowledge and no experience doing the job in which they're directly supervising, which in turn leads to poor management decisions in routing & logistics, which is just unprofitable for business. Management also is not competent enough to analyze the data that is given to them through the onboard computer system being utilized. The "lead" driver(s) play favorites and provide special treatment to their friends/buddies. There are absolutely no checks & balances in place with WM. Also, the managers will encourage you to be safe and take your time so you can follow all of the rules, but then harass you when you don't hit your unrealistic efficiency goal. The company claims to be a "military-friendly" employer, but unless you're retired and no longer have any military obligation, this is completely untrue. Managers AND coworkers will complain and harass you when you have to miss work for military duty. The company has tried to fire me TWICE relating to my military duty, but I've gotten my job back because of USERRA and through use of the ESGR. It makes for a completely hostile work environment knowing that I have a giant bright target painted on my back.

Seek out those hard-working, dedicated drivers who have the potential and the desire to lead. Use them to your advantage. Recognize when a driver does something good. The only thing pointed out about 95% of drivers is what they're doing WRONG! This is such a horrible approach to try and encourage a safe, secure work environment.

Jun 23, 2014Talent Acquisition

This isn't what we like to hear, and appreciate you sharing this feedback. We want the chance to improve across our enterprise. If you have an ethics or integrity concern, you can make an anonymous ... More

Very Disappointing

Former Employee - Residential Driver
    Former Employee - Residential Driver

Pros

Good benefits and the pay was ok. Helped me get back in shape and a good tan!!

Cons

Equipment! Local management was good but further up was not. No room for advancement. EQUIPMENT!!

Listen to the people doing the work! It's not always about how fast the job can get done.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!