Waste Management Reviews

560 reviews filtered by
2.7
Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner
David P. Steiner

Pros
  • Good pay, really friendly work place environment, growth potential (in 37 reviews)

• Good benefits / annual bonus (if at all paid) (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av (in 18 reviews)

• Central Dispatch & customer service do not have the ability to address customer's needs (in 17 reviews)

1. Its about who you know, not what you know. A culture a vagabond, treat you like you do not matter at all.Drama every day

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well, if you are deperate for a job then by any means, apply and get a job there, if you are looking for a career, I suggest perhaps making plans elsewhere.

Cons

Dont have any advice for them, they will be who they are regardless of one's opinion.

Hard work goes unnoticed

Current Employee - Inbound Commercial Representative
    Current Employee - Inbound Commercial Representative

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Hours. No weekends. Off by 6 pm

Cons

Everything. They have no integrity. They change your goals on you at the end of the month. They reward employees who are constantly lying to customers, cheating and passing of their work of to others. Yet those that are actually hard working and get great sales numbers get no recognition, no appreciation, no pat on the back.
    Systems are constantly crashing. They will make you take calls for areas you weren't trained on.
    That place is a MESS.

Treat everyone the same. No favoritism. And treat your employees like you actually want them there. . ESPECIALLY the good ones

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Sorter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sorter in Denver, CO

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

A couple good people. Dental insurance. Health insurance. Although deductible was high so I couldn't see a doctor.

Cons

Dangerous working conditions, 70 hour work weeks, last minute schedule extensions, horrible treatment from management, little or no communication from supervisors and management, illegal business practices. Working in the MRF Starting pay is just barely above minimum wage and raises are about 12 cents a year. Employees going on 10 years with waste management making less than 10 dollars an hour.

This is not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Inside Residential Representative in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Residential Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

The company offers job stability as long as your not late or don't call in. If these things don't occur and you do your job and meet you standard metrics then you will keep your job

Cons

You are not allowed to call in for no reason and your not to be late no matter what the reason is you would lose your job depending on how many occurrences you already have for the year and your only allowed to have 7 for the year. also there is no career ladder at this company

Please note that people have a life outside of the job.

Commercial Route Manager

Former Employee - Route Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Route Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

The drivers are really good people, other than that, i can't think of one positive thing to say about WM.

Cons

Extremely long hours (12-14hrs). Micromanagement to the highest level, poor training, unrealistic goals, and an overall poor work environment. WM will say its all about being safe but they hound the drivers about completing their routes at by a certain time (speed vs safety; conflicting agendas). The trucks break down frequently but as a route manager you are still responsible for making sure all routes get completed, while making sure no driver works more than 14 hrs a day or more than 57hrs per week. Often times when a truck breaks down, you won't know until the very last minute and chances are you won't have a viable spare truck. WM will say family is number one but in actuality, you will not have any kind of life. Your day will start at 3 am and you won't get off until about 4pm (or later). Even when you get home, you are still required to answer emails. The drivers are treated like modern day slaves. WM is the worst company/organization I have ever worked for. I would not encourage anyone to work for this company not matter how desperate a person is for employment.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition

We are sorry you feel this way - this isn't what we want to hear. We recognize that the front line is a challenging place to work, and hope you expressed this with your local management prior to you ... More

Worst Place to Work

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Pay is good and the benefits are decent.

Cons

Good old white boy network that will never promote any minority. They work you to death and still don't appreciate what you do. Decentilized business that lets the areas dictate what corporate should do. They reorganize every 2-3 years and you never know when the axe will fall. Stress is off the charts.

Diversify and get rid of some of the old horses in the areas. The company will never change if the leadership changes.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition

We are sorry you feel this way. We appreciate our employees' hard work and dedication to the team, and have shared your feedback as we strive toward continuous improvement.

Disappointed...

Former Employee - Route Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Route Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are ok.

Cons

Most Managers have limited “real world” experience or education. Training for incoming Managers is limited.

They really need to hire more from the outside. Too many District Managers who started off as Drivers and the only management experience they have is with Waste Management. They need to mix in people with some education. Most Managers are afraid of losing their job. Management is encouraged to pressure Drivers on efficiency, which in turn creates a safety issues and a high turnover rate.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition

This isn't what we like to hear and are sorry you feel this way. We're actively working to improve communication and training channels from corporate to the front line. This feedback is valuable as ... More

Toilet cleaner

Former Employee - Custodial in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Custodial in South Gate, CA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

fresh smell of scrubbing bubbles

Cons

Never dirty enough To make me really scrub

Need higher fiber diet

Out of touch

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Clean trucks because of lack of use

Cons

Pricing out of site and out of touch

Greed is good?

Response to WM integrity

Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None at all to much harassment.

Cons

Worst Management ever. Hire from outside they don't know or care about the work you do. Was actually they are hired to harass employees.

Your Anonymous integrity hot line should be that "ANONYMOUS". If you do call in the manager you call in about should not be notified of your call and allowed to harass even more. The managers will go out of their way to harass you if you are not their pet.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition

We're very concerned about these comments. What you've reported is not in line with our policies concerning integrity, discipline, and open communication. If you feel like you would like to have ... More