Waste Management

Waste Management Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner

David P. Steiner

Pros:
  • "Pay was extremely competitive, flexibility to plan your day, great benefits"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good place to work at a good pay for awhile"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hiring process is a joke

ProsI cant come up with anything to say.

ConsI put in a application 2 months ago, and the position that I put in for was very qualified for. Also your company says that you are "veteran friendly" but will don't even give a vet the chance to interview for a job. I was really looking forward to hopefully work for your company because I heard good things but I'm finding out that Waste Management is not all that.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to take a look at your hiring process because it has a lot of problems and you rely to much on your recruiters and they have to big of an area to cover to do the job the right way!!

Sweat shop

Prosgood people to work with

Conslong hours and crazy expectations

Good company with growth opportunities

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood company that values their employees and provides opportunities for growth / promotions. Ongoing improvements with systems and technology is a big plus. Good benefits.

ConsConstant change. Although this is not necessarily a con, because the company is always changing to continue to improve, it is difficult to implement multiple changes coming from all areas of the company at the same time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dirty, Unfair, Hateful, Stressful

Residential Driver (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsLocally pay and some employees

ConsVery stressful totalitarian envronment. You are pushed to do more and more in less and less time. No restroom breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within so supervisors know what job really is. Support emplyees and listen, don't just fire people.

i love working for waste management

Prosgreat benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot. fun people to work with and nice new equiptment

Consmanagement could do a better job at fallowing up on things brought to there attention. needs to compeat better with local companys

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and give good feedback and not tear us down

" Smoke and Mirrors"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe majority of the co-workers were fun to work with but they are very pricey for the service they provide. They did upgrade to Sales force but they were still using obsolete system that sometime working with the new technology made things complex. The majority of the customers were wonderful to work with but they sometimes received the short end of the stick.

ConsWM do not treat the worker well. Management works the employees to death and continually decrease compensation but set the bar, so high it was in some cases unobtainable. Management was compensated for work the employee accomplished, but the employees were not given the compensation they deserved for working to keeping WM in business. If you are a supervisor or above you made money but did not always make themselves available to customers that wanted to speak with a manager. The time card system was down more than it worked.Basically if you work there do what you have to do keep you heard down and your mouth closed otherwise by become a moving target.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate need to listen to their employees on the ground and stop making decision from the top down. The corporate management is not working with the day to day customer base and even when they did come to the office to talk to the people on the ground. The employees were so fearful of being fired, people kept their mouth closed as they had seen employees that express themselves fired in the pass.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good. The 401k is one of the best. The company matches up to 6% and you're fully vested from the start. The bad news is, you have to wait 90 days before you get any health benefits. That's a long time to go without coverage. Especially if you have small children.

ConsIf you like change - you'll love Waste Management. There is little to no support. You will be responsible for managing every aspect of your accounts. You'll need to be an expert in billing, operations, sales, administration and anything else your customers will want. It makes it almost impossible to take a vacation and not come back to a mountain of emails. Operations runs the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow it down. Change is good, but try to get something implemented and working well before moving on to the next change. This constant change is like drinking from a firehose constantly. Let your salespeople sell. They are spending over 80% of their time handling non-sales issues. If you want the employees' opinion stop demanding that they only be positive.

Sad day when you love your job and learn your call center is closing

Inside Commercial Representative (Current Employee)
    Oak Harbor, WA

ProsLove the call center reps - you work hard and put up with some tough customers. Your a great team of people and it's sad to learn we will never be a team again.

ConsWe were told this week our call center is closing. It shocked and hurt 125 employees in a very small town. We are so busy some of us are working OT everyday, until this week when the closing was released. Now that they've routed our calls to AZ, the phones stopped ringing. If we are going to stay open for another 3 months, how are we going to do our jobs when the phones stopped ringing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou shouldn't keep hiring and training when you knew the center was going to close. This wasn't an overnight decision. There are about 30 new hires over the past 90 days who now are out of work again.

I LOVE my job!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Foxborough, MA

ProsComfortable environment, encouraging attitudes from peers and management, positive reinforcement, appropriate coaching methods, understanding and compassionate supervisors, and recognition for hard work.

ConsShort training period (two weeks, with less than a day for billing) poor communication between certain departments (customer service to dispatch/ops), resentment toward certain departments (customer service to dispatch/ops).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an issue with the communication between customer service and dispatch/ops. There is no emotion in email, so it's very easy to misinterpret tone and intention.

Flag Review
    Waste Management Talent Acquisition responded to this review Jul 1, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate this feedback and are always looking for input to improve our culture and work environment. This valuable insight could be shared with your leadership during goal-setting and annual ... More

Review

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsIndustry leader, good benefits, one stop shop, challenging work load. Full range of environmental services made it advantageous when prospecting & helped differentiate service offerings from competitors.

ConsLong Hours & unrealistic expectations.
    Price leader - enabled competition to consistently undercut WM's pricing. Extreme micro mgmt.
    Constant power struggle between operations & sales departments. Company driven by operations minded mgmt. team w little regard for sales team. HR Dept. practically non existent @ local level.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees with respect and improve comp plans.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!

Waste Management Videos

Waste Management – Why Work for Us?

Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions. Are you interested in a career with the industry leader? Click here. Waste Management is the leading provider of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waste Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Waste Management CEO David P. Steiner. All 400 reviews posted anonymously by Waste Management employees.