Waste Management

www.wm.com

Toilet cleaner

Former Employee - Custodial in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Custodial in South Gate, CA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

fresh smell of scrubbing bubbles

Cons

Never dirty enough To make me really scrub

Need higher fiber diet

Out of touch

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Clean trucks because of lack of use

Cons

Pricing out of site and out of touch

Greed is good?

Tech-phobic company that bends to Wall Street.

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They do offer a good (not great) benefits package. 3 weeks vacation after 5 years. 15% annual bonus. Health coverage is ok.

Cons

The company is focused on Wall Street, not their own customers. Employees are told to be advocates of the customer while the company does everything in its power to show that they do not care about their customers. Or their employees, for that matter.

Dec 23, 2014Talent Acquisition

This post concerns us. We take accusations like this very seriously and would appreciate if you would share feedback with the WM Employee Integrity Helpline at 1-800-265-9381.

Trash Company

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Many of the line employees are dedicated and have a commitment to the environment.

Cons

Management is out of touch and manages the company only to meet investor expectations to keep raising the dividend. As a result company lacks long term vision and fails to execute on any long term strategies. In recent lay offs, I personally know a contractor who was rendered homeless. Considering the company was profitable and the largest share holder is Bill and Melinda Gates, this struck me as heartless.

Get a vision or get out of the way for someone who does. I suspect the latter vs the former as a better solution.

Good job, decent pay/benefits, lots of OT

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was alright. Starting out for this positions - Operations Specialist - the base pay is 18.50 an hour / but you can get between that and 25 depending on experience.

Cons

They always want you to work extra hours even more than you can at times, and the hourly employees do the same work as the salary employees / a lot of politics

Less work environment politics and more innovative promotion techniques

Good company overall, plenty of micromanagement

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company, processes are very well thought out, very nice people to work with.

Cons

Too much micromanagement, they seem to be out of touch with local competition. This may be a function of being a "Large Blue Chip" in a land of mom-and-pops.

Split the company, spin off the landfills, the residential collections and let the commercial collections run its course.

Customer Experience Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, management had an open door policy

Cons

Too much work for the staff to truly be as effective as possible. Supported other market areas out of the center in Phoenix. Too many different processes in different states. The customer experience team was sometimes overwhelmed with the work load, and the sales and management in the area they were supporting made changes to process on a regular basis and in most cases did not advise the reps or management of the process chnage until a problem with an account occurred.Too many people making decisions.

Listen to the reps and supervisors doing the job to support your operations. They are part of the team, and your communication and support are critical

Dec 23, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We value and appreciate your advice.

Londonderry nh /woburn ma

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

Work hard give 120% and after 10 to 20 or moore years. You will be in the same position
    maby $2 or $3 moore an hr whith 2 moore weeks vacation . It's the highest paying day care center in newengland .great place to work good luck.

Cons

They will stalk you every minute you are on the clock.If your in cab cam goes off you will be written up for nose picking.So please use a tissue. You will be promised the world.Most unethical place to work .You will be treated as the trash you haul.Use them before they use you .

Sleep well,You treat your employees like trash.But don't worry wm will treat you the same way .When you least expect it you will be shoved out the door.As you should.Have a great day.

Response to WM integrity

Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Driver in Reno, NV

I worked at Waste Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None at all to much harassment.

Cons

Worst Management ever. Hire from outside they don't know or care about the work you do. Was actually they are hired to harass employees.

Your Anonymous integrity hot line should be that "ANONYMOUS". If you do call in the manager you call in about should not be notified of your call and allowed to harass even more. The managers will go out of their way to harass you if you are not their pet.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition

We're very concerned about these comments. What you've reported is not in line with our policies concerning integrity, discipline, and open communication. If you feel like you would like to have ... More

Waste Management has no loyalties

Former Employee - Commercial Driver
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

The work was always there . Most co-workers were easy to work with. The pay was above average for the area. I did not reqire alot of supervision.

Cons

Supervision and sycophants littered the job with a toxic atmosphere. The inability of management to be professional was appalling. Route manager ran things his way and only certain chosen workers could be in his inner circle. The District Manager was his golf buddy and he divided his time between another site. Of course no one could keep checks and balances on the operation if the "fox is guarding the hen house" .Waste Management is crawling with mismanagement and for new talented people to work there it will always crush any chance to advancement. Favoritism is a cancer and this company is like playing "Survivor", try not to get voted off. Company changes rules to suit their agenda and going to H.R. is a joke even when managers break rules discipline is only for the drivers so get used to that dead-end street right away.Surveillance by cameras in the vehicles , by management or by a subordinate could be a safety tool but instead it was simply a scare tactic and could be used to enforce bizarre rules but not for everyone.

Get over the chosen ones. Everyone that has put time in deserves to be respected. Managers that do observations and say they were riding in a vehicle with a driver need to be held accountable when in fact they never ride with anybody. There is rotting stench in this style of adversarial leadership.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Acquisition