Waste Pro Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
1.7

John Jennings

Good company, still growing

I have been working at Waste Pro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very proud to be part of the Waste Pro team. It is growing rapidly, which can be a lot of fun.

Cons

It has the normal challenges and pains associated with rapid growth.

not very good as a company.

Current Employee - Lead Driver in Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Driver in Arden, NC

I have been working at Waste Pro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you go 3 years with out accidents you get 10,000.

Cons

no room for advancement. you need to kiss butt to be considered for anything here

hire more people. hire people with better management skills

Management from SR.VP on down really stinks

Current Employee - Residential Driver in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Residential Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Waste Pro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mr. JJ willingness to listen to certain issues and concerns when others in upper management are blowing smoke.(TD) and looks down on the everyday employee.

Cons

Working with a positive demeanor when the atmosphere is so negative from the management team and no one seems to care.

Reconstruct management starting with the SR. VP (bad news) does not promote employees with true credentials only the buddy and friend system seem to benefit

Pissed off wife

Current Employee - CDL Driver in Doraville, GA
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in Doraville, GA

I have been working at Waste Pro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None!! I can't for the life of me think of anything good about the job but the take home pay, but even after you work someone from 6 AM to 9 PM WITH NO BREAK which has to be against the law, you're making less than $8 an hour.

Cons

The work is too hard for the amount of pay, EVERY MANAGER NEEDS TO BE FIRED, dogs get treated better than the men of this company, very unorganized and ran poorly!! It seems as if when they hire you they make it seem as if the company is such a great company, ITS NOT SO RUN! This company lacks all morals, understanding of a work/life balance and values.

Shoot yourself!

Just a job

Current Employee - Residential Driver in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - Residential Driver in Fort Pierce, FL

I have been working at Waste Pro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent and those who do care and try are good to work with.

Cons

Promotions are nearly non existent, and when they do come up they are given to "friends" of the management. The pay while decent is extremely over worked so what you do for what you get paid is too low. Most helpers are from a temp agency and are unreliable. Other drivers are slow, slack off, collect scrap, take long breaks, and then complain about the route being too heavy and you are forced to go help. Extremely micro managed. One hand doesnt know what the other is doing. Supervisors can't seem to make a logical decision on nearly anything. One raise in the last 3 years and it was pathetic. 6 days a week. Benefits are below average.

I dont believe there is any advice I can give that would be heard and taken into consideration because it would involve a restructure of the entire company and work ethic so I will simply leave it at that.

Unethical office management

Former Employee - Representative in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Representative in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Waste Pro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. Workers speak negatively about management from day one. It should have been my first clue.

Cons

Unethical hiring and billing practices. Pay too low expectations/quotas too high. Customers were irate about service or mostly lack thereof. No accurate training. Show you something once and were expected to master that task. This particular division should be investigated by corporate and cleaned out of its horrible management & personnel.

Read this post and take it seriously

Started out as the "Best Company" I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Governemental Relations Manager
    Former Employee - Governemental Relations Manager

I worked at Waste Pro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company's growth is tremendous! Opportunity to achieve personal financial growth is attainable.

Cons

Company is growing quickly, which means leadership is overwhelmed. John Jennings, CEO, is not as involved and has lost touch with the heart of his company!

Consider returning to your grassroots efforts. Mr. Jennings!!! You had a great business plan and it worked!

Amazing company as a whole! One of the best, most learned from experiences of my life!

I worked at Waste Pro

Pros

***Brought on as a hungry management trainee!...

If smart, motivated and driven, very easy to move up within company! Great atmosphere & consistent culture throughout all, or most of the MS / AL / LA divisions. Wonderful colleagues and peers to learn from with many years of experience in the business... Would do it over if had the opportunity!

Cons

***Left company as a disappointed Office Manager...

Most of the "said" disappointment was my fault... But, I will say the following - that in my opinion, Sr. Mgmt was lacking a hint of professionalism... And maybe a little organization as well? Also.. There was little to no support when projects needed to be completed..

At the divs. levels - Just a hair, OR TWO, unethical? partnerships... This could be due to a severe lack of competent management?... Just a guess.

Yes yes, politics are utterly important in this business... But can y'all just stop playing the family and friends game for once and hire good managers. Be willing to teach them / train them... PROPERLY. Maybe then you won't be spread out so thin?... Maybe training leaders...is what makes your company better than the others?! They dooo exist.. And they can be a very cheep investment for what you will be creating... Don't forget what you stand / stood for J.J. You and your Sr. Mgmt. team are amazing role models, (The Late and Great BS, CC, WC & RM, and the ALLL KNOWING RV) and I most certainly appreciate all you gentlemen have done for me.

Interesting, yet frustrating experience....

I worked at Waste Pro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for Mr. Jennings before in the 90's when he owned Jennings Environmental. The culture of his company is unmatched. If you subscribe to the 'sense of urgency' viewpoint of Customer Service then this is the place for you. The Division Manager is a consummate professional, yet the sad part is he is consistently left in the dark about what goes on on a daily basis by the Ops Mgr (who happens to be his brother!).

Cons

Unprofessional supervisors (2/3, the two being residential) at the location I worked at. They are more interested in knocking an employee down rather than investing time in them and their development to make them better. Worse off, they complain about them and their poor performance yet do nothing about it. Re-routes are done without house counts and/or tonnage reports. Worse yet, they are executed without the direction of the Ops Mgr. The most recent one was an embarrassment. There was no regard for route sheets, probably because the supervisors do not want access to Tower so they do not have to accept the responsibility of keeping them updated. When it was identified the re-route failed the reaction was just to shift an area to a different route because 'that driver can handle'. When that driver was terminated, it was clear his replacement was not able to handle that route. Simply put, the re-route was a three ring circus. Safety is a huge concern. They have 'absolute' rules and 'zero-tolerance' policies, but when you identify employees who violate them they are simply given a written warning. That said, management at this location allow employees who do not operate equipment in a safe manner to continue to roam the streets. If you expect direction from the Ops Mgr at this location you will be disappointed. Example - An employee who was suspended was directed to come to the office. Upon submitting his resignation the Ops Mgr asked for his phone and tablet. The employee replied he was not asked to bring it. The Ops Mgr replied that he didn't say to not bring it.

1 - People come to work to act in a professional manner. Jokes about black people, Hispanic female office employees, and others are embarrassing.
    2 - Take some control over the residential supervision staff. They are unprofessional and do not use the software available. Their expectations of the office staff are unreasonable and they do nothing to learn how to operate independently or aid the office staff in any way.
    3 - Routes should be built so that ANY employee you put on it will be able to execute it. Routes built around employees are destined to fail.....eventually.
    4 - Hold all employees accountable when it comes to their report time. Keeping status quo with what previous management agreed to does not make it right. You set your supervision staff up for failure, and a miserable work-life balance, when you make special considerations for employees.
    5 - Find a suitable groundsman who can keep up with the need for refurbished toters. If you don't want to use new toters for replacement, then make sure you have refurbished toters available.

Management not willing to be competitive with market pricing.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Waste Pro

Pros

Management is pretty laid back as long as you are selling the minimum number of accounts. Which changed a couple of times during my tenure there - about 3 mths.

Cons

Pay too low and goals unrealistic.