WatchGuard Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

WatchGuard Technologies President and CEO Joe Wang

Joe Wang

Fantastic work environment for engineers, especially at lower levels

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe Seattle engineering team is awesome. In almost two years, I saw zero interpersonal conflicts between engineers on my sizable team. Everyone gets a spacious work area to themselves, managers eat almost all of the schedule pressure and developers are left to code, the office is a wonderful building.

From talking to people who have been around longer, it seems that many of the negative reviews are about how the company was before. I haven't observed the complaints people seem to have.

I can't speak to the problems claimed about other departments - I was a fairly junior dev and didn't work with many other groups aside from QA, who were great to work with.

I had a huge amount of freedom in what I got to work on and upward mobility was readily available.

Some people work very long hours, but that is by choice. Most do not. The company is extremely respectful of engineer's lives outside of work. Good luck finding better work life balance.

I ended up leaving because of an offer in an area I really want to work in. The WG job was fantastic and it was a difficult choice to go.

There is a new CEO who seems to be making good choices.

ConsI really don't feel like there were significant cons. There were certainly plenty of bugs to fix, but really, come on, that's what we're supposed to do as developers. The ship first mentality changed noticeably during my tenure from being a thing to not really being a thing for my team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo engineering management, keep doing a great job letting the devs do what they do best.

Good networking/security experience working place

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood learning environment for junior especially

ConsCould be very challenge for senior team members

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge to motivate the team

Decent stepping stone, management issues.

Technical Support Representative II (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood place to learn and the opportunity there are some growth opportunities

ConsWorkload can get daunting due to product development issues, poor management strategy and product vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what you know how to do and do it well before trying new things.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat group of people. Good product. Amazing office.

ConsMinimal training. Departments don't speak well with each other. Constant pushing back of deadlines for public release products.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on what other departments are doing in order to do other jobs properly.

good

Senior Sw Eng (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Prosgood management, they like to keep employee pool the same size as they move on to new projects, open for communication with employees.

Consyou need to be prepared to switch between projects as you stay longer, you are not working always on the same project as you hired for.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Excellent entry-level IT job, hard but rewarding.

Technical Support Representative I (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros- Great coworkers. When I worked there, it was very fun. I made a lot of great friends.
    - Beer Friday as well as frequent-enough social activities for employees.
    - Excellent place to learn networking, intrusion prevention, firewalling, etc.
    - Will hire people with little as long as they show the potential to grow and the passion to succeed.
    - The XCS device is well coded, complex to work with, but a huge learning opportunity that will make you a stronger support engineer/technician.
    - There are some very very smart people throughout the company that truly want to see it succeed.

Cons- Seems the company keeps losing market share, or at the very least not growing enough.
    - Many budget cuts, headcount reductions, and no raises or bonuses for years in a row.
    - Management in support bickers, and has knee-jerk reactions. Although this is not entirely their fault as they are doing the best they can on a ship that's on fire and taking water, nearly about to sink.
    - The main product's OS (XTM firewall) is crap. Honestly, it crashes repeatedly, full of bugs, and has had a marked decline in quality. Yes it is improving slowly, but Sales/Executives push for features to "differentiate from our competitors" and "grow our market share". The thing is, these "features" are actually bugs and a mash of features that clients will beta test for WatchGuard.
    - A "silo" mentality, where all departments are independent. Yes, there are emails sent out saying they want to foster intercommunications and activities, yet that doesn't happen. Asking an Engineer a few questions about the product area they focus on, is like pulling teeth, good luck getting a reply.
    - Lack of upward movement. There are some people in support that have been in their same roles for 3+ years even though they want to move up. It's not because these people do not have the drive or ability, its just that there are no higher positions open. Maybe this is because the company is still small.
    - Hard to get test equipment. Had to provide my own switch and PCs to build my lab.

Advice to Senior Management- Executives need to force the QA department to be under Sales instead of Engineering, so that when there's a broken feature, the QA department has the pressure to reject it. Instead what is happening is the pressure comes from Engineering to release it just so they can say "we hit our milestone." Doesn't matter if the feature that was pushed out is utter garbage, as long as they met their targets.
    - Become a "customer first" company. What do the MAJORITY of clients want? A well performing STABLE firewall. New features can come later, stability should be paramount. What does it matter if your firewall can jump through hoops, get the mail, and do the laundry, if it crashes when 10 wireless users connect? If the firewall is not stable, this hurts the reputation and causes clients to lose faith in the brand. Watchguard's biggest source of revenue is renewals, why not ensure that those GROW instead of shrink due to bad software?

Good overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam usually helpful; good products

ConsAs everywhere, the higher you get the more political it gets...shame the good politicians are bad for the actual business only good to help themselves

Great starting point

Technical Support (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros- Great entry level pay
    - Decent benefits (401k, education comp, medical benefits)
    - Other employees are nice and senior techs are willing to help you improve
    - Great place to start for someone with little experience

Cons- Terrible management
    - Very limited upward mobility
    - Promotions are given out subjectively
    - Technicians are not rewarded for their skill or hard work
    - Entire company suffers when the sales team doesn't meet their goals
    - Bonuses are seemingly random and usually small
    - They wont' offer you a raise until you start looking for a job elsewhere
    - Very high turnover due to poor compensation for the more skilled technicans

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and stop taking them for granted. Give them ANNUAL raises without Them having to ask or threaten to quit. Give them bonuses when their sales aren't hurting. Reward your employees that are talented and give them more opportunities to move up in the company.

Another nine to five.

Seattle, WA

ProsSome great people to work with, but just to work with.

ConsTrying too hard to be the best. Not enough reward for the work you do, a simple "Great Job" would be nice once in a while. Location is terrible, close to Downtown, but not quite Downtown, because of location, commute can be pretty bad. Just another "nine to five" job.

Used to be a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people in the trenches are outstanding

ConsAlways playing catch up to the competition.

Worked for WatchGuard Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WatchGuard Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WatchGuard Technologies CEO Joe Wang. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by WatchGuard Technologies employees.