WatchGuard Technologies

Updated September 23, 2014
2.8

WatchGuard Technologies President and CEO Joe Wang
Joe Wang

Working there was a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Very flexible work schedule. You can take days off regularly or work from home very often. Everyone there is very helpful and supportive of what you do.

Cons

There aren't a lot of cons in this business. I would say that the only one can be looked as a pro as well. The Watchguard tech support floor is in a sense a farm system. You get there with certain skills and when you leave after a year or two (you will likely leave promotion is not likely) your skills will have grown a ton. With this on your resume you can go somewhere else.

Good technology, poorly managed

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technically inovative company. Many areas of domain knowledge to learn. Engineering staff very smart and leaders in their field. Enjoyed going to work, cutting code and contributing to shipping products.

Cons

After more than a decade, Watchguard financially is still a "start up" company. After at least three CEO changes, Watchguard has yet to find a formula for success. Many top engineers have left after 5+ years employment, some voluntarily others by lay-offs. Personally, leaving Watchguard helped advance my career. "Corporate culture" was slowly being erroded in engineering, undermining morale. Result: going to work was no longer fun.

LISTEN TO THE ENGINEERING TEAM!!! Listen to their concerns and fix issues which inhibit productivity. Any release cycle which takes more than a year to ship has failed. I'm personally aware of two such releases. Staff leaving after working at a "burnout pace" release is warning sign of something wrong. There was serious disconnect/lack of communications between engineering and top management. Also consider furlow vs layoff. Employees are far more dedicated to Watchguard than warranted. And never change the signature "Ferarri Red" color of the product line.

Good products but management issues

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time

Pros

- most of the products work and are well priced
    - you are very independant
    - the pay is good

Cons

- it's a very competitive market with long selling cycles
    - the management is not very helpful/talented, there is a high turnover among them
    - the job does not feel safe

Good

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good office culture, good work-life balance. Nice location

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind other than bonus.

technical support

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good, smart technicians to work with. Environment was laid back to a point. If you are entry to mid level in IT its a ok place to start out, but its not recommended to stay longer than 2 years at best.

Cons

Pay was not competitive compared to what other companies in Seattle are paying.

Fantastic work environment for engineers, especially at lower levels

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Seattle engineering team is awesome. In almost two years, I saw zero interpersonal conflicts between engineers on my sizable team. Everyone gets a spacious work area to themselves, managers eat almost all of the schedule pressure and developers are left to code, the office is a wonderful building.

From talking to people who have been around longer, it seems that many of the negative reviews are about how the company was before. I haven't observed the complaints people seem to have.

I can't speak to the problems claimed about other departments - I was a fairly junior dev and didn't work with many other groups aside from QA, who were great to work with.

I had a huge amount of freedom in what I got to work on and upward mobility was readily available.

Some people work very long hours, but that is by choice. Most do not. The company is extremely respectful of engineer's lives outside of work. Good luck finding better work life balance.

I ended up leaving because of an offer in an area I really want to work in. The WG job was fantastic and it was a difficult choice to go.

There is a new CEO who seems to be making good choices.

Cons

I really don't feel like there were significant cons. There were certainly plenty of bugs to fix, but really, come on, that's what we're supposed to do as developers. The ship first mentality changed noticeably during my tenure from being a thing to not really being a thing for my team.

To engineering management, keep doing a great job letting the devs do what they do best.

Good networking/security experience working place

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time

Pros

Good learning environment for junior especially

Cons

Could be very challenge for senior team members

Challenge to motivate the team

Decent stepping stone, management issues.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative II in Seattle, WA

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to learn and the opportunity there are some growth opportunities

Cons

Workload can get daunting due to product development issues, poor management strategy and product vision.

Stick to what you know how to do and do it well before trying new things.

OK

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time

Pros

Great group of people. Good product. Amazing office.

Cons

Minimal training. Departments don't speak well with each other. Constant pushing back of deadlines for public release products.

Be clear on what other departments are doing in order to do other jobs properly.

good

Current Employee - Senior Sw Eng in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Sw Eng in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good management, they like to keep employee pool the same size as they move on to new projects, open for communication with employees.

Cons

you need to be prepared to switch between projects as you stay longer, you are not working always on the same project as you hired for.

none