WatchGuard Technologies

WatchGuard Technologies Reviews

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014

Michael Kohlsdorf

Pros
  • Good location right across from Safeco and Century Link fields (in 5 reviews)

• Excellent place to learn networking, intrusion prevention, firewalling, etc (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Entire company suffers when the sales team doesn't meet their goals (in 3 reviews)

• The management team seems to be stuck in a time warp of leading by command and control (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging to keep a positive attitude sometimes

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time

Pros

The employee base is made up of a lot of wonderful people who work really hard to do the right thing. The main reason why most people say that they stay at WatchGuard is due to their co-workers. When you find such a wonderful group of people, it's hard to leave them behind.

Cons

Unfortunately management can't seem to make the right decisions at the right time for the right reasons to be successful. Consistently making decisions that are short sighted and not for the right reasons. No tenured benefits or employee centric programs that help develop long term employees. No growth potential due to lack of corporate growth.

Figure out who your customer is and why they want your products. Create long term product plans and roadmaps before making decisions about products and subscription offerings. Too much time is spent on products or programs that aren't used by the wider audience and that takes resources away from building a strong and stable product line.

Great place to get your start!

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since I’ve come on board I have had the opportunity to really advance in my career. WatchGuard is a good place to get your start when often other companies only want senior level people and refuse to offer on the job training and entry level positions. Friendly team environment. Management is personable and down to earth/ approachable. The new interim CEO is well received. Great location.

Cons

Not much inter-department socializing, very few corporate sponsored events. Compensation lower than competitors in some depts.

Executive management has been erratic in the past (penny wise pound foolish) which resulted in some negative feelings, but great changes have been made. Very recently we have more recognition of achievement by key contributors which is appreciated. More realistic expectations of growth.

Lackluster Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive network security appliances and software. Solid partner program. Reasonable benefits.

Cons

A rudderless ship, despite departmental restructuring, upper and mid level management changes, and some rather poor and confusing attempts to change the marketing message. Despite good benefits, pay in some positions is not as competitive as it could be, and training is of any sort in any role is either lacking or non-existent.

Throw in the towel, and just sell the company. You'll have some victories here and there, but ultimately you'll never, ever make up for all of the bad decisions that have been made over the years. Relevance is no longer a viable goal.

A fast improving company

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies

Pros

Flexible work environment. The company seems to listen and is improving

Cons

Still awaiting a full-time CEO. Having an interim CEO since May starts to impact on the ability of the company to lay out a strategic vision

Poor Management

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies

Pros

Great products, decent training good coworkers.

Cons

Poor onboarding, no management support and management leaves major decisions to young inexperienced account managers.

Learn how to value your employees and treat them fairly.

No management support. Poor training and onboarding process.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great products
    Team support is good, sales engineers are supportive

Cons

No management support.
    Poor onboarding process
    No formal review process
    Minimal training and support

Value your employees. I felt like I was left to the mercy of my team, who are young and not experienced to be in charge. Management needs to step up and manage their company.

Working there was a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Very flexible work schedule. You can take days off regularly or work from home very often. Everyone there is very helpful and supportive of what you do.

Cons

There aren't a lot of cons in this business. I would say that the only one can be looked as a pro as well. The Watchguard tech support floor is in a sense a farm system. You get there with certain skills and when you leave after a year or two (you will likely leave promotion is not likely) your skills will have grown a ton. With this on your resume you can go somewhere else.

Good

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good office culture, good work-life balance. Nice location

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind other than bonus.

Good technology, poorly managed

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technically inovative company. Many areas of domain knowledge to learn. Engineering staff very smart and leaders in their field. Enjoyed going to work, cutting code and contributing to shipping products.

Cons

After more than a decade, Watchguard financially is still a "start up" company. After at least three CEO changes, Watchguard has yet to find a formula for success. Many top engineers have left after 5+ years employment, some voluntarily others by lay-offs. Personally, leaving Watchguard helped advance my career. "Corporate culture" was slowly being erroded in engineering, undermining morale. Result: going to work was no longer fun.

LISTEN TO THE ENGINEERING TEAM!!! Listen to their concerns and fix issues which inhibit productivity. Any release cycle which takes more than a year to ship has failed. I'm personally aware of two such releases. Staff leaving after working at a "burnout pace" release is warning sign of something wrong. There was serious disconnect/lack of communications between engineering and top management. Also consider furlow vs layoff. Employees are far more dedicated to Watchguard than warranted. And never change the signature "Ferarri Red" color of the product line.

Good products but management issues

I worked at WatchGuard Technologies full-time

Pros

- most of the products work and are well priced
    - you are very independant
    - the pay is good

Cons

- it's a very competitive market with long selling cycles
    - the management is not very helpful/talented, there is a high turnover among them
    - the job does not feel safe

WatchGuard Technologies Photos