Watco Companies

5 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

growth without structure

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People in the field are great to work with, travel made easy

Cons

Lots of family working in positions where they have no experience or background, i.e, accountants who have no concept of operations, promoted beyond their skill set.

Money is not made at the corporate office, focus on supporting field

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, and benefits are good. CEO, COO, and President are all good people to work for.

Cons

Management is only out for the best interest of themselves. They all operate on a buddy-puppet system. Working for them you always have to look over your shoulder, because you never know when they will completely throw you under the bus. If something goes wrong and you had your name on it a little bit, you better know they are not taking any of the blame. Respect is a foreign word, and fair to them is where prize pigs are. You are belittled on a regular basis, talked down to, and made to feel stupid. In the case you are very good at your job, that don't like you knowing more than they do. Our entire department at one point had to have an intervention if you will because of the constant disrespect. Nothing came of it, but when an entire department feels the exact same way, you know there is an issue. Turnover is high for that reason, although a lot of different excuses are made, the main reason is management. Managements behavior is that we are below them. They will not allow themselves to be wrong, or take any blame for their shortcomings as managers, its our fault. You would think in a leadership position, you would have some leadership skills. You are given a ton or work daily, and if you ask a question you are made to feel stupid, and are given half of the answer you need, and do not look for anyone to ever say thank you, or I appreciate the hard work you put in. I would also say there is a "conflict of interest" between management and HR, not sure how that works out. The concept of the company is we are all "team members" all though this obviously is not practiced by management.

If you want to be treated with respect, fairly, and appreciated this probably isn't for you. If you don't have the right circle, or the right last name moving up is not likely either.

Learn that you are just bosses in a position of leadership, you are not a ruler. We spend a lot of time at work we would like for it to be a healthy environment, instead dreading coming to work.

Awful management

Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work when we had it was productive and fun

Cons

management sucked
    pay sucked
    drama
    they talk about treating their people well but they don't.

Lots of Growing Pains for Little Payoff for the Workers

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really great people that work at this company. My experience with management is positive, people seem to be willing to help where they can.

Cons

Employees are generally kept in the dark about any negative changes that are happening to the company. Execs paint a pretty picture of the growth and talk a big game about being family oriented. Starting vacation is one week (!) and there are no such thing as sick days or personal days. Moving forward into any sort of significant managerial position depends greatly on who you know or what your last name is. After working here for a few years, you come to find that several people in higher managerial positions are all related somehow to the folks in the Exec offices, no matter what their professional skill set may be. Recently, there were layoffs throughout the company that were only discussed in a round-about way by the CEO after three weeks of people being laid off, and the reason given for layoffs was to increase the bottom line while all managers have purchase cards and cars and upper management is always flying the private jet to wherever. Communication of the goals and direction of the company is a joke. There are quarterly Town Hall Meetings, but communication is not open. There is no comfortable way to communicate with upper management that employees are disgruntled. Pay at the corporate office as well as operations/field jobs are extremely low compared to the industry. Many operations people start here to gain skills and move on to real pay at Class 1 Railroads, etc, and I can't say I blame them. The max raise given without an increase in title change is 3% per year of current salary/compensation. There is a lot of turnover in the field due to the higher payoff at larger railroads. The company is growing at a faster rate than ever, but the infrastructure is not in place to keep up with the growth. Equipment and tools in the field are all very old and close to if not over end of life. More and more work is put on people without the resources to keep up, and that will never be the fault of upper management.

Read the reviews of the company and look at them seriously. There are a lot of the same "Cons" on this page, ie, high turnover, low compensation, poor communication, and growing corporate greed. Focus on sustainable growth and make sure that the people that are out on the ground making you the money are well taken care of and feel confident in the company. At this point, I think several employees have lost trust in upper management and the future of the company.

Internship position

Former Intern - Intern in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Intern - Intern in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good people with many networking opportunities to cooperate with other departments and people.

Cons

As an intern my duties were limited, and I wasn't able to truly show the company what I was worth.