Watco Companies

2.8

Rick Webb

working at watco

I have been working at Watco Companies

Pros

4 days on/ 4 days off

Cons

dirty work, long hours 12/hr shifts

shift diff would be nice

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Foreman  in  Galena Park, TX
    Current Employee - Foreman in Galena Park, TX

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

-great co-workers to work with.

Cons

-very under valued and paid.
    -management has no problem with working you 12 hours straight with no lunch at times.
    -management will lie against you, short you hours on your check that you actually worked.
    -very unsafe work environment that management turns a blind eye to even though, the concerns are brought to their attention time and time again.

Fast-paced work with some extremely talented people

I worked at Watco Companies full-time

Pros

Culture is rapid-fire, extremely focused on serving customers. Management is mostly friendly, definitely very results-oriented. Low cost of living around most corporate facilities (Twin Falls and Pittsburg, Stilwell and Houston--not as much).

Because of the fast pace, this is a great place to build up new skillsets if you can spare the extra time for the learning curve.

Also, the people there are extremely hardworking, generally family-oriented.

Cons

Your last name and who you know will matter for hiring/promotions. Pay is sometimes lower than similar positions at other companies (though there are more opportunities to have a real impact here for someone with the right skill-set.)

Decent perks/time off after a couple of years. Starting vacation (1 week!) is a little ridiculous. Everyone in management has a car, though.

Pick a path and stick to it. Execs have a ton of passion but sometimes lack followthrough.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not a good company

Former Employee - Foreman  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Foreman in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Watco Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits are ok but not great

Cons

everything else is pretty much bad

care more about your employees

Hard Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-Workers. That's it, Management is awful. The have become Greedy Corporate

Cons

Management and Corporate are money wasting idiots! They want to cut hourly workers pay. Management go on Expensive trips. They all have Company cars and PCARDS. I have never in all my years of working seen so many people have Company cars!! But, they complain that they need to cut cost to hourly wages who actually run the company.

Hourly employees keep your company running and your extravagant trips and free cars. Change your greedy practices before you run this company into the ground. Hold Town Hall Meetings without all the Possie to back you up and listen to what employees are saying. Stop eliminating local jobs to go to corporate where you have high turnover and low pay!!

Very hard work

Former Employee - Carman  in  Wood River, IL
    Former Employee - Carman in Wood River, IL

I worked at Watco Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay and benefits, reliable work

Cons

very dirty conditions, poor management

clean the place up

A steady downward spiral

Former Employee - Carman
    Former Employee - Carman

I worked at Watco Companies full-time

Pros

The only thing you'd get fired for is not showing up/late show

Build some skills... for a better job

Cons

Nearly everything else:

Pay, just barely livable. Good luck getting paid what you're worth. Best advice is to become buddies with someone in management, and try to make time, hopefully the QC department won't look too hard at whatever crappy repair you were forced to put on a car.

Management, horrible. Almost be better off with no management, nearly every manager I've seen is either completely out of touch, condescends to you like a child, is an absolute hypocrite, or an outright liar. If the managers at the top would start listening to the employees, rather than the old Millenium Rail managers (half the problem right there), this company would start to make some progress in reducing their turnover.

The equipment... (Ha, ha, ha, I made a joke!) If the equipment isn't broke, or outdated, they don't have it, and would rather prefer if they didn't have to spend any money on a worthwhile investment.

The cars, oh dear God. Sometimes they just need to need to learn to say "No." They want Cadillac repairs on rust bucket cars, that are one more major repair away from the scrapper, then the cars they HAVE to do a Cadillac job on, they completely biff it, or don't bill them hard enough for the time. "Oh, well, 'shop X' in 'Zebratown, Antarctica' doesn't have any trouble making time on these cars." (The other shops cheat, and we know this. That's why you guys get hit when a customer comes to look at a car, and isn't happy with a wreck repair, or paint/lining jobs, etc.)

The turnover rate... Jeziz. I didn't really talk to too many people that hadn't been there for a minimum of at least 3 months. By the time they (IF they) hit the 3-month mark, nearly all of them had had it up to the hilt with the company. I've never seen a place go through so many employees as this place. It's nearly an entire crew worth of turnovers, in a year or two's time frame, sometimes less depending on the season and management's incompetence at that period in time.

Safety, the polar opposite of production. You guys continue to slash hours, and continue to take on less than worthwhile/difficult programs/cars, don't invest much into the equipment, and what has it gotten you? Crappy repairs, or injuries. 'Nuff said.

The employees aren't stupid. You can only recite the same lie so many times before people start to lose faith in the management, and overall their optimism about their opportunities, and with the company as a whole. As much as it pains you to do it, paying a decent wage would help to alleviate some issues people have with the company, and would be slightly more willing to overlook the major issues with the company. I'm going to make a slogan now for you about the equipment: "You can't fix a railcar with a rock and a shoehorn." Equipment investment: seriously, SERIOUSLY consider this. You guys want to keep pulling the rug out from underneath the guys with the hours that you bill the cars on, but they can't work a car without equipment.

Personal message for Rick Webb: show up and talk to the guys at your shops. Listen to them. Never saw you in all the time you ran the company, all we got were those little pieces of "inspiration" that were recited to us. I don't have a lot of faith in a guy who never shows his face, "speaking" to me through some typed piece of dictation. In lieu of taking any of my suggestions, just continue doing what you're doing: letting the company circle the toilet bowl.

growth without structure

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People in the field are great to work with, travel made easy

Cons

Lots of family working in positions where they have no experience or background, i.e, accountants who have no concept of operations, promoted beyond their skill set.

Money is not made at the corporate office, focus on supporting field

Internship position

Former Employee - Intern  in  Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good people with many networking opportunities to cooperate with other departments and people.

Cons

As an intern my duties were limited, and I wasn't able to truly show the company what I was worth.

Friendly and personable

I have been working at Watco Companies as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Expanding all the time, great environment, cares about families, fair in hiring, many locations, contests and bonding activities with coworkers

Cons

Still a small home office, not extremely advanced technologically, specialized education in trains or transportation may be needed, may work in extreme weather or conditons

Worked for Watco Companies? Contribute to the Community!