Watco Companies

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Webb

Fast-paced work with some extremely talented people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture is rapid-fire, extremely focused on serving customers. Management is mostly friendly, definitely very results-oriented. Low cost of living around most corporate facilities (Twin Falls and Pittsburg, Stilwell and Houston--not as much).

Because of the fast pace, this is a great place to build up new skillsets if you can spare the extra time for the learning curve.

Also, the people there are extremely hardworking, generally family-oriented.

ConsYour last name and who you know will matter for hiring/promotions. Pay is sometimes lower than similar positions at other companies (though there are more opportunities to have a real impact here for someone with the right skill-set.)

Decent perks/time off after a couple of years. Starting vacation (1 week!) is a little ridiculous. Everyone in management has a car, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a path and stick to it. Execs have a ton of passion but sometimes lack followthrough.

Hard Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsCo-Workers. That's it, Management is awful. The have become Greedy Corporate

ConsManagement and Corporate are money wasting idiots! They want to cut hourly workers pay. Management go on Expensive trips. They all have Company cars and PCARDS. I have never in all my years of working seen so many people have Company cars!! But, they complain that they need to cut cost to hourly wages who actually run the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHourly employees keep your company running and your extravagant trips and free cars. Change your greedy practices before you run this company into the ground. Hold Town Hall Meetings without all the Possie to back you up and listen to what employees are saying. Stop eliminating local jobs to go to corporate where you have high turnover and low pay!!

Very hard work

Carman (Former Employee) Wood River, IL

Prosgood pay and benefits, reliable work

Consvery dirty conditions, poor management

Advice to Senior Managementclean the place up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A steady downward spiral

Carman (Former Employee)

ProsThe only thing you'd get fired for is not showing up/late show

Build some skills... for a better job

ConsNearly everything else:

Pay, just barely livable. Good luck getting paid what you're worth. Best advice is to become buddies with someone in management, and try to make time, hopefully the QC department won't look too hard at whatever crappy repair you were forced to put on a car.

Management, horrible. Almost be better off with no management, nearly every manager I've seen is either completely out of touch, condescends to you like a child, is an absolute hypocrite, or an outright liar. If the managers at the top would start listening to the employees, rather than the old Millenium Rail managers (half the problem right there), this company would start to make some progress in reducing their turnover.

The equipment... (Ha, ha, ha, I made a joke!) If the equipment isn't broke, or outdated, they don't have it, and would rather prefer if they didn't have to spend any money on a worthwhile investment.

The cars, oh dear God. Sometimes they just need to need to learn to say "No." They want Cadillac repairs on rust bucket cars, that are one more major repair away from the scrapper, then the cars they HAVE to do a Cadillac job on, they completely biff it, or don't bill them hard enough for the time. "Oh, well, 'shop X' in 'Zebratown, Antarctica' doesn't have any trouble making time on these cars." (The other shops cheat, and we know this. That's why you guys get hit when a customer comes to look at a car, and isn't happy with a wreck repair, or paint/lining jobs, etc.)

The turnover rate... Jeziz. I didn't really talk to too many people that hadn't been there for a minimum of at least 3 months. By the time they (IF they) hit the 3-month mark, nearly all of them had had it up to the hilt with the company. I've never seen a place go through so many employees as this place. It's nearly an entire crew worth of turnovers, in a year or two's time frame, sometimes less depending on the season and management's incompetence at that period in time.

Safety, the polar opposite of production. You guys continue to slash hours, and continue to take on less than worthwhile/difficult programs/cars, don't invest much into the equipment, and what has it gotten you? Crappy repairs, or injuries. 'Nuff said.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees aren't stupid. You can only recite the same lie so many times before people start to lose faith in the management, and overall their optimism about their opportunities, and with the company as a whole. As much as it pains you to do it, paying a decent wage would help to alleviate some issues people have with the company, and would be slightly more willing to overlook the major issues with the company. I'm going to make a slogan now for you about the equipment: "You can't fix a railcar with a rock and a shoehorn." Equipment investment: seriously, SERIOUSLY consider this. You guys want to keep pulling the rug out from underneath the guys with the hours that you bill the cars on, but they can't work a car without equipment.

Personal message for Rick Webb: show up and talk to the guys at your shops. Listen to them. Never saw you in all the time you ran the company, all we got were those little pieces of "inspiration" that were recited to us. I don't have a lot of faith in a guy who never shows his face, "speaking" to me through some typed piece of dictation. In lieu of taking any of my suggestions, just continue doing what you're doing: letting the company circle the toilet bowl.

growth without structure

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburg, KS

ProsPeople in the field are great to work with, travel made easy

ConsLots of family working in positions where they have no experience or background, i.e, accountants who have no concept of operations, promoted beyond their skill set.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney is not made at the corporate office, focus on supporting field

Internship position

Intern (Former Employee) Pittsburg, KS

ProsGood people with many networking opportunities to cooperate with other departments and people.

ConsAs an intern my duties were limited, and I wasn't able to truly show the company what I was worth.

Friendly and personable

ProsExpanding all the time, great environment, cares about families, fair in hiring, many locations, contests and bonding activities with coworkers

ConsStill a small home office, not extremely advanced technologically, specialized education in trains or transportation may be needed, may work in extreme weather or conditons

Being on a Team and calling your employees Team Members does not mean you desert them in their time of need.

Team Member (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsThe only company where it is nearly impossible to be terminated.

ConsThey don't pay for experience or common sense, they pay for that worthless piece of paper called a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the company as a whole will preach The Foundation Principles, but when it comes right down to it, no one's Heart is in it. If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Offer incentives to Team Members in the field making the company money and I'm not talking about the Monday thru Friday people who seem to think the railroad is a bank.

I'm talking about the people who are on the trains in the middle of the night working on call and not being compensated for it. If you want to save $6.7 million a year in turnovers, invest in what you got and show them you care about what they give up for the customer(s). Without the customer(s) and without the Team Members this company would be at rock bottom, which is pretty close now. We all have sacrifices to make and the people in the field at night or in the middle of the rain or snow storm make the ultimate one for the customer and the company.

Take for example a Team Member's spouse suffered a near death experience and had to use up one remaining week of vacation and now has to nurse maid that spouse until he or she can return to work and can't collect a dime for taking care of that spouse. Did any Team Member or Manager offer to help or raise a finger in their time of need with children or call or send a card or send some flowers or support or organize some sort of fundraiser to help out? HELL NO THEY DIDN'T

There is where the part mentioned above is all about whether you're Heart's In It or NOT!

Great place to get in shape and experience the outdoors!

Track Foreman (Current Employee) Plentywood, MT

ProsExcellent leadership training, out of the box problem solving skill improvement, and interesting situations, are just some of the pro's to this company.

Conslong hours and great responsibility are heavy factors on this job! Be prepared to work in some harsh weather and do so on a regular basis!

Advice to Senior ManagementNever forget the laborers and lower rung Team Members, or what they do on a daily basis to serve the customers and yourself. We are your first line of defense and your best support base if you have happy Team Members.

Fast paced , changing culture, growing rapidly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prospeople are good , trying to change, outlook for next few years excellent, with many opportunities for growth . Successfully raised the safety standards across company , with dramatically strong commitment .

Conspay is lower than industry standards, morale is low and turnover high

Advice to Senior Managementraise the basic pay across the board or high turnover will continue. Cannot continue paying so low or that is all you will get from employees- low effort.

Worked for Watco Companies? Contribute to the Community!