Watco Companies Reviews

Reset
2.6
Rick Webb

Start Up Terminal

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wage for this area. Above average benefits and 401k matching. Competent coworkers that are reliable. Work that you can be proud of that can be fun. Culture and values are great on paper and in training from upper management.

Cons

Management has no Watco training and was giving no structure for basic hr benifits / following labor laws. High turnover rate due to "customer first" foundation principals (they forget to value their people at all). No defined job description: a lot of work falls under what supervisor deems necessary. No clear way to move up in positions: politics/favoritism rule wage increases. Rules toward anything are always changing for the first year.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to "team memebers" (they most likely know you are) Keep consistent practices when dealing with wages, promotions, job descriptions, bonuses, communication. Lower management needs more oversight because they are allowed to do what they want with no repercussions.

Good Ole Boys Club - Watco Supply Chain Services LLC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bathrooms at offices are very clean. The parent company Watco Companies is actually a good company to work for as the benefits are great. Walking distance to the bank.

Cons

Watco Supply Chain Services LLC is a joke as a whole and their basic concept of a true TMS system is basically the Atari version of the AS400 systems. There salary is below average unless you are in the Good Ole Boys Club. The 2% commission program is far below any company you put it up against. Example: Imagine making 20k in GM a month on your own you get $400(not including what Uncle Sam takes from you) while the Team Leaders, Managers take 8-10% of what you worked your butt off for. On top of that you are expected to bring on your own customers, cover your own loads while the Team Leaders & Branch Managers sit and collect your hard earned money. I would go as far as calling it a Logistics Pyramid Scheme for the good ole boys club. Watco companies as a whole will survive but I give Watco Supply Chain LLC 2 years at the most before they close there doors.

Advice to Management

I look around from time to time and it never cease to amaze me at how little social progress we have made. It is the 21st century and yet we still have racism, nepotism, favoritism aka "good ole boys club." We cling to old traditions and practices. Rites of passages, even in the job place, which leave coworkers to fend for themselves to be "worthy" of being included. The good ole boy system as it seems in my experience, the higher the management level of the institution the stronger the system. Also the more difficult to prove yourself. Prior to joining Watco I believed the old saying " it's not what you know it's who you know" was finally going away. However I was sadly mistaken and let down once again as I witness an inexperienced, unqualified friend of the "good ole boys club" was given a seat at the table within 5 months of being in the business. Then I saw morale drop amongst the team and everyone stopped caring. Fortunately I was able to come to terms and accepted that it was my time to move on although I really wanted it to work out. I've seen this type of situation happen at many companies and divisions but I've never seen one done so blatantly disrespectfully in my many years in the business. I am sure if you continue to allow the "good ole boy club" to represent Watco I ensure you will continually be short staffed, which will weaken the companies core values and principles by having to hire and retrain new people which will eventually make the job undesirable to those who could very likely possess the skills to be a huge asset. Remember.... Your employees are your customers too....good luck to the "good ole boys club"!

Charles Webb is probably rolling over in his grave.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tioga, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tioga, ND

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned company with a nice little history, pay is *decent* for the area we work in. Good co-workers for as long as they last.

Cons

When you first start at Watco, they make it sound good. They insist on calling you a "Team member" instead of an employee. They brag about their huge profits and how much they care about you- about all employees. They show you a cute little video that prattles on about Charles "D*ick" Webb and his philosophies- about how he cared about the employees. I think if Charles saw how his workers are being treated now, he'd be doing cartwheels in his grave. The management at my terminal is, at best, hilariously incompetent- and at worst, downright crooked. Nepotism runs rampant (not that half the idiots in upper management even *know* what that word means) and favoritism trumps all skills. Maybe two supervisors are actually hands on and involved in the day-to-day work of their crews- the others sit in the building all day twiddling their thumbs and counting their dollars. The "training" before being thrown to the wolves consists of "here's our terminal, good luck". If an employee makes a mistake, no one stands with them- supervisors will throw them under the bus in a second if it will save their own skin. Upper management has no problem with crews working 15+ hours with one 15 minute lunch break, but most of them are out of the building by 4pm. Benefits were at one time handed out generously to employees at the terminal, but were taken away one by one. At one time, crew members got train share, fluff time, retention bonuses, higher starting pay, and a good PTO system. Slowly, but surely, it was all stripped away. The turnover rate for our terminal is something like 40% this year already- no one wants to address the problem areas or problem PEOPLE who are making this happen. The utility branch has been going through employees like toilet paper and no one has the presence of mind to LISTEN to the complaints they have on their way out. I was sexually harassed DURING one of their special little "values" classes, right in front of a regional HR and a a CORPORATE HR rep. In fact, the act was practically encouraged. In an effort to "bond" us or something, they made us all (15 of us) stand on a 4x4 tarp and try to flip it over without stepping off of it. According to HR, they had already known about issues with a worker involved, but still put him in close contact with females. AMAZING! Watco is a joke- go work for the actual railroad and save yourself some trouble.

Advice to Management

Clean out the bad supervisors- get rid of the ones who are causing such a high turnover rate. Put a stop the the nepotism and get CONNECTED with your workers. Find out what's actually going on outside your little corner office.

Conductor

Former Employee - Conductor in Cherryvale, KS
    Former Employee - Conductor in Cherryvale, KS

I worked at Watco Companies (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, family oriented, learned what railroad is a life style not a job really means.

Cons

Not enough of employees take pride in their work ethic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Opportunity Rich

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies

Pros

This company offers anyone who is willing the opportunity to have the career of their dreams. I have never seen a place where you are in control of your own destiny and the management team actually helps you get there. No other company in Pittsburg, KS offers that! Heck even some bigger city jobs don't offer that. At Watco, people are not just a number, and great amounts of time and effort are made by the management team to ensure everyone is afforded the same opportunities. It is up to you to engage management. It is a 2-way street.

Cons

Fellow team members think because of tenure, not effort, they should automatically be promoted and when someone with less tenure comes in and strives to learn and wants a career, and stretches their skill sets, they are belittled along with management when promoted. Small town drama, gossip and jealousy in Pittsburg. All this whining about who gets promoted and who doesn't, with speculation that everyone knows is a lie (eg. If you read one of the terrible management bashes it talks about management's reaction to glass door) If you really think what you write on glass door has anything to do with decisions that are made in any company, you are more ignorant than your comments make you out to be. Stay at home at watch soap operas, because you apparently think that is how real life is.

Advice to Management

Either 1: Relocate to a bigger city so you can get quality people with lives instead of small town gossip mongers who have nothing better to do. Or 2: Set expectations that anyone who wants to be apart of Watco quit bashing Watco's management. Believe it or not, it puts Watco (in general) in a bad light, but some of these small town folk are too unprofessional to see that. They were offered a job and accepted it and continue to show up and work for their paycheck (apparently for many many years), but think that it is so terrible. If they were professionals and it was so terrible, why don't they go be happy somewhere else? You need people that spend their time to be part of a team and less about time about negative belly-aching; because it is a professional team that makes the company grow.

this place is a joke

Former Employee - Operator in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Operator in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pros- well let me see I can't think of any off hand I don't think Rick Webb couldn't think of any

Cons

extremely high turn over company wide from top to bottom. 5-6 different managers in the last 3 years. below industry pay aging third or fourth hand equipment and the list goes on and on

Advice to Management

File a petition to the suface board to dissolve and defunk

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, and benefits are good. CEO, COO, and President are all good people to work for.

Cons

Management is only out for the best interest of themselves. They all operate on a buddy-puppet system. Working for them you always have to look over your shoulder, because you never know when they will completely throw you under the bus. If something goes wrong and you had your name on it a little bit, you better know they are not taking any of the blame. Respect is a foreign word, and fair to them is where prize pigs are. You are belittled on a regular basis, talked down to, and made to feel stupid. In the case you are very good at your job, that don't like you knowing more than they do. Our entire department at one point had to have an intervention if you will because of the constant disrespect. Nothing came of it, but when an entire department feels the exact same way, you know there is an issue. Turnover is high for that reason, although a lot of different excuses are made, the main reason is management. Managements behavior is that we are below them. They will not allow themselves to be wrong, or take any blame for their shortcomings as managers, its our fault. You would think in a leadership position, you would have some leadership skills. You are given a ton or work daily, and if you ask a question you are made to feel stupid, and are given half of the answer you need, and do not look for anyone to ever say thank you, or I appreciate the hard work you put in. I would also say there is a "conflict of interest" between management and HR, not sure how that works out. The concept of the company is we are all "team members" all though this obviously is not practiced by management. If you want to be treated with respect, fairly, and appreciated this probably isn't for you. If you don't have the right circle, or the right last name moving up is not likely either.

Advice to Management

Learn that you are just bosses in a position of leadership, you are not a ruler. We spend a lot of time at work we would like for it to be a healthy environment, instead dreading coming to work.

Awful management

Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Revenue Account in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work when we had it was productive and fun

Cons

management sucked pay sucked drama they talk about treating their people well but they don't.

10. communication

I have been working at Watco Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a lot of work to do

Cons

communication between team members is terrible

Advice to Management

Work on this

Worst job experience. Council bluffs, ia.

Former Employee - Welder in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Welder in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Watco Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are about it and the ability to gain some other experience.

Cons

Pay, benefits, management, all they care about is working you like a dog to finish the job and then when there's no work they have no problem kicking you to the curb.

Advice to Management

Stop riding your workers about being over hours and maybe you could actually get work done.

RSS Feed </> Embed