Waters Reviews

Reset
3.5
Waters Chairman, President, and CEO Douglas A. Berthiaume
Douglas A. Berthiaume

Pros
  • Waters employees are allowed a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Overall a good company to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • aging population, especially upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Company

I have been working at Waters

Pros

Great technology, good people, always a chance to learn new things if you are curious.

Cons

Very few cons, of course like all competitive companies there is always pressure to deliver.

Advice to Management

Don't break what is mostly a good culture.

2. Principal Field Service Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Field Service Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Field Service Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company that take care of their employees

Cons

Promote more so based on seniority rather than merit

3. Good Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I worked at Waters full-time

Pros

The people were great to work with. Great work culture and benefits.

Cons

management and reorganization of teams/management has a real negative impact on productivity

Stable place to work but with trade offs.

Current Employee - Marketing in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company during volatile economy. The company runs very lean and only hires when they know they can retain. Layoffs are few and can be contributed to conservative spending during hard economic times instead of reduction of employment.

Cons

Pay is below standard, benefits used to be excellent and a huge benefit to working there but have become inferior over the years, dysfunctional HR department, upper management are still stuck in the business tactics and strategies of old. Very much a good ol' boys club.

Advice to Management

get rid of the good ol' boys mentality and start running like a proper billion dollar company.

great growth opportunities, compensation increases/bonus plan not ideal

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, surrounded by friend, incredibly intelligent people. Lots of opportunity to make your role your own, and work without being micromanaged. Very interesting, challenging, and varied projects. The company has many very experienced, knowledgable people who make great mentors.

Cons

As a manager, it's difficult to reward employees because the compensation policy is very conservative. If you're an employee who frequently goes above and beyond, it's difficult to feel rewarded for that performance. As a global company, some of the policies and procedures seem very small-company minded.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees! Verbal accolades are fantastic, but please change your HR/benefits/compensation policies to be more in sync with what other global, modern companies are doing. A lot a great people move on, even though they love working at Waters, because they are better rewarded elsewhere, or have opportunities for promotions.

Culture and Value Has Really Changed During My Time at Waters

I have been working at Waters full-time

Pros

Still many very loyal, hardworking people there who have ridden out the many, often negative changes over the years and still care about the company and want to see it succeed. Some management still offers family friendly flexibility. Offers competitive salaries without the hike into Boston. Gyms and gym classes are almost free and offer a wide variety of options.

Cons

Focus has very much shifted to the top few golden preferred for raises, promotions and recognition. Opportunities for career development are rare to non-existent, although they are talked around a lot during reviews. Workloads, but not headcounts, have increased to the nth degree with employees being asked to take on increasingly impossible amounts--as if being set up for failure to justify the lack of raises, promotions or recognition. Feedback from majority of employees is that HR is unapproachable, unresponsive, lacks follow up for career development or other requests and puts the ownness of any issue back on the employee. Although I realize that no one can control the rising cost of healthcare, our benefits package was sold to us as a great thing and I'm seeing for myself and hearing from many other just how financially crippling this year has been because of the changes--great benefits used to be a huge perk and now it's a huge liability. All of these issues are very discouraging, because years ago I would have actively recruited friends and family to this company. Now when I'm asked I will (and do) tell people to look elsewhere. The current environment has become conducive to quick burn out, necessary competitiveness that borders on ugly/unprofessional for the above reasons, and the knowledge that no matter how hard you try your reward will be that you'll simply be given even more to do with no end in sight. Not a good feeling. I am watching people leaving in droves for greener pastures.

Advice to Management

Please read all of the comments in these forums... change is great as long as those who do the work day by day are not overlooked or forgotten. Reward hard work, even if it's not from your top 10% or high profile people. Development cannot just be words on a page--it has to be encouraged and followed through. Let your employees have a voice. HR needs to be less intimidating to those who need help...I cannot tell you how many times I have heard, "I would never go to them!" The stories around the company about peoples' negative experiences when they've tried to ask for help are many and discouraging...it matters. Find a way to reinvest in headcount--the work overload is a serious issue across the board. Does the exit interview still exists? I'm wondering if you are getting this honest feedback from the many people who are leaving.

Interesting Technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters

Pros

Stable environment, intelligent co-workers. Gym on site.

Cons

Generally low compensation in industry, especially in a very competitive low unemployment environment

Advice to Management

Reexamine current compensation vs. industry standard throughout the organization. Expand rewards throughout the entire organization, not just at the top 15%.

9. Nice Company - Shockingly Out Of Date Processes

I have been working at Waters full-time

Pros

-Beautiful office -Cafeterias -Friendly Co-Workers -Plenty of parking -Growing Company

Cons

-The process of placing orders for customers is just mind boggling. Far too complicated and confusing. It's mind numbingly painful to try and wrap your head around it.

Advice to Management

Simplify the process for quoting customers and placing orders. So many problems lie within SAP. CRM is a step in the right direction, but compared to professional software out there, it's painfully inferior.

Marketing Communications Manager

I worked at Waters full-time

Pros

Waters has the following: On-site gym, on-site cafeteria, on-site yoga, pudding, jello, a beautiful corporate executive suite enjoyed only by the executives

Cons

Completely, absolutely, almost maniacally financially driven; a slave to Wall Street and EPS rather than investment for future growth; a feudal atmosphere where the executives have all sorts of privileges and the rabble have none

Advice to Management

Be much more egalitarian; Invest more; Be less financially driven; Value the contributions of each employee no matter what his or her level is

engineer

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

stable company, very few lay offs

Cons

little room for advancement, boring work

Advice to Management

none

RSS Feed </> Embed