Waterway Gas & Wash
www.waterway.com Chesterfield, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Waterway Gas & Wash Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Henry W. Dubinsky

Awesome place to learn a great work ethic

Senior Team LEader (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsYou can chose what you want to take from this job. If you work hard you will be rewarded with promotions. Over the course of 2 years I went from work the line, to selling washes, to now a team leader/assistant manager. Very rewarding if you work hard

ConsNot very many! For me personally working outside in 0 degree temperatures was rough, and something it can be frustration to work with people who are very focused on a single car and not the whole picture. Great learning experiences though

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep expanding!

Good company

Senior Line Associate (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPros - work - life balance, time off, hands on work, flexible schedule, cash tips, good management, friendly environment

ConsHonestly not many con's. you know what you're walking into. you're working at a car wash so it is going to be super hot/cold, hard work but it all pays off.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recruiting high school kids

Great experience for those who put in the effort and want to learn

Senior Team LEader (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsManagement and leadership experience
    Employees treat one another like family
    Exercise
    Sales experience
    Learn to satisfy customers
    If you work hard, you will make good money
    Great opportunities for leadership growth

ConsWeather
    Sometimes customers have unreasonable expectations
    Must ask off work weeks in advance for vacation
    Will deal with unmotivated employees due to the tough working conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business model works well and the value put on customers is great. Need to work on consistency in management. Sometimes, it seemed people were promoted on merit and not their ability to produce. Others had to wait longer to be given a chance at advancement. Overall, the company is successful and many fellow employees enjoyed their experience at Waterway.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for young motivated people

Line Employee (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

Pros-Potential to make a lot in tips
    -Get to see cool cars
    -Laid back atmosphere with young managers
    -Meet other young people around you

Cons-Bad weather can make inconsistent hours
    -Working outside in certain weather can make for long hot days or long freezing days

Started as Line employee, worked my way to G.M, Love it!

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsWaterway is a great company to get the most out of you. Tips are only shared with people who do the car so basically the harder you work, the more you make and you get to determine your own income that way. I averaged $12-$15 per hour including my tips when I was in high school, which is as much or more as a lot of salary jobs will pay you. It is easy to move up in Waterway, if you are a good worker. I worked hard, they offered me promotion after promotion and now I am a G.M at a store while being a full time college student. Waterway has always been very easy and flexible for me to work with.

ConsFor hourly employees, hours can be inconsistent with snow and bad weather. If you do not like being outside, may not be the job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what you are doing. You are a big help to people under you and very hands on. As a new G.M I call people for help every day and never have I left that phone call feeling disappointed or without help.

Ok

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsPotential for big days as a line employee. Laid back atmosphere. If you want to move up jobs while in high school you can. Interact with all different age groups of people. Sales can make big money. Sometimes have decent food on big days.

ConsYou get wet. You get hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Can be weather sensitive. You bosses probably make less than you on busy days and they know that. This was the best job I could find at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Great place to work

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Town and Country, MO

ProsI worked as a cashier and enjoyed the consistency of my schedule, interacting with customers and team members, and pay.

ConsSlow on rainy days, but that's about it. I really enjoyed my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fun work environment for job in highschool

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with friends and a flexible schedule

ConsHad to work in cold or dangerous conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate lower level employees because they are usually the first contact with customers

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Waterway is a great job for high school students to look into for their first place of employment.

Wash Line (Former Employee)
    Clayton, MO

ProsThe tips are generally decent, although details generally don't tip as well and management should implement some sort of system to control which wash line employees get assigned to details for fairness sake, as full timers often claim seniority or simply bail for washes with better potential tip outs. The hours are flexible, you can work with management to set the hours you want and if something comes up can often get off work early. Most of the locations are in decent locations near communities with high incomes which generally correlates to higher tips.

ConsThere is very little upward mobility and this job should be seen only as a "first job" type of deal. Management also does not evenly enforce company policies and quality checks. I've seen several other employees get criticized for sub par work on cars that come out cleaner than typical while other cars come out looking terrible without reprimand. Management also tends to play favorites towards the full timers (although I can understand this to an extent as full timers are generally living off of their wages while part timers are generally still being supported by their parents, the preferential treatement is taken too far by some managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the Team Leader position. They do all the work the managers are supposed to do. The managers are essentially babysitters to make sure wash line employees don't slack off.

Perfect place to start in management!

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Leawood, KS

ProsClear path through management program, family type upper management, competitive team enviornment and of course free car washes for employees!

ConsSometimes the weather can become difficult to work in but as long as you dress accordingly or drink water before, during and after work... it's not that bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect administrative work to be done on Tuesdays.

Worked for Waterway Gas & Wash? Contribute to the Community!

Waterway Gas & Wash Videos

Waterway Gas & Wash – Why Work for Us?

Waterway® is an industry-leading, full-service car wash company, and we make a positive impact on our communities. Waterway Gas & Wash® has spent nearly 40 years exceeding expectations and setting a new standard for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waterway Gas & Wash reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Waterway Gas & Wash CEO Henry W. Dubinsky. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Waterway Gas & Wash employees.