Watkins & Shepard Trucking

Ray Kuntz

Great company

Current Employee - OTRDriver
    Current Employee - OTRDriver

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly and responsive; I would recommend they to anyone

Cons

The recession was tough with cuts to 401k match, but they weathered it without layoffs, which is a testament to management.

They r nothing but hybacrites

Current Employee - Company Driver in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Home early nice ppl at terminal

Cons

Liars,cheats,thieves,phonies,sexual harassment is allowed. Ask CEO

Resign

Decent company. At first was hard to contact dispatch on weekends but things have gotten better

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking

Pros

Met a lot of good drivers and office staff at different terminals. Anytime there was an issue with my truck the shop made sure it was taken care of immediately.

Cons

In orientation they tell you "no forced dispatch", but I found this not to be true. Some dipatchers, not all, will try to make you take a trip that they know you can't make legally

Do a better job training new dispatchers in MT so they know how schedule better especially through heavy metropolitan traffic areas like NY

The company is dead but they just know it yet.

Current Employee - Company Driver in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Their orientation is only two weeks.

Cons

Their orientation is only two weeks. Not enough time to learn about the POS People Net. Truly sucks and should never have used Windows as their OS.

They have newer trucks but refuse to give any out that are new drivers. Straight from an Area Dispatch Manager's mouth "We don't want to have new drivers scratching our new trucks". Company on a big scale does not care about the drivers as much as they report. As long as the company makes money they really don't care how many drivers they go through to keep the company going. There is actually no one in charge of the company called Watkins or Shepard. They need to stick a fork in it. The company is "done".

Sep 24, 2014Manager of Recruiting

We have been in business over 45 years. Mr Watkins and Mr Shepard have passed away. If you were in the two week orientation it would mean you were a new CDL school graduate. You could have asked to ... More

Should have come here years ago

Current Employee - Company Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people always trying to be better and a lot of work. Seem to have a good niche of business. I feel like the actually care about me.

Cons

Have to handle some freight, wish the benefits were free, seems like they need more trucks to take care of all the business they always want you to work.

Keep buying new equipment.

Thank you.

NO COMMUNICATION

Former Employee - Tuck Driver in Conover, NC
    Former Employee - Tuck Driver in Conover, NC

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I drove out of the Conover NC Terminal, the people there were all very nice.

Cons

No communication, they take students fresh out of trucking school, after a 12 day orientation and a week on the road with a coach send them out on the road and completely abandon them. New drivers have questions, there's no one to answer them. My experience with this company was horrible. I was never able to get in touch with dispatch anywhere, Conover or Missoula. None of them would answer the phone or return a call, they would not respond to emails. The only communication I had with dispatch was when they contacted me. I'm new to the industry and I cannot believe this is the way the industry works...

Open lines of communication, new drivers need to be able to get in touch with someone/anyone....

Jun 11, 2014Manager of Recruiting

Sorry for your experience we have People Net installed in almost every truck as of today and will have it in all soon to try and help with communication. Matt in training is always available for new ... More

Waiting on the Dalton terminal

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dock workers are great they busted butt to get my load done early.

Cons

Dock workers had to wait on the girls in the office. When I walked in the office all 4 girls were on their phones texting and looking on their little facebook with their feet propped on the desk, While a dock worker was cleaning the office and mopping the floors. I found that kinda odd. Another dock worker was asking about a ticket and one of the girls shouted and said OHHH I forgot about that one. I wouldn't want to work on their docks period if it was like that every day. Kinda hope it gets better driving this truck but I really doubt it.

Don't take the people thats working off their jobs. Put the people in the office to work and you may get something done.

company is going in the wrong direction

I have been working at Watkins & Shepard Trucking

Pros

drivers are good to get along with...

Cons

management and dispatchers are terrible..especially the mechanics at the dalton and sante fe springs terminal..not all dispatchers are badd..only the one who works in southern cali..what you do in the dark will come out in the light..

better start hiring better drivers..and get new mechanics..broke down trailers and they have been red tagged for weeks if not months..also the weekend dispatcher NEVER ANSWERS THE FONE..

good co

Former Employee - Company Driver in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Youngstown, OH

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they leave u alone,as long as u get ur product off,theres no reason to bring bk product

Cons

either roy kuntz is retared, or he just doesnt care about his employees who made him 100s of millions of $. people havent had raises in yrs not 1or2 i mean yrs. payroll will steal from u if u dont make copies of ur trips, safety dept is incompetent. employees with time get the worst equipment .

u all need to b fired

Sep 24, 2014Manager of Recruiting

Raises were given in September and the fuel bonuses were raised in April. The Senior drivers have the new equipment if you refer to the post from Sept 6th he complained that the new drivers get the ... More

Very good company with different driver jobs,not just over the road.

Former Employee - Tuck Driver
    Former Employee - Tuck Driver

I worked at Watkins & Shepard Trucking full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they do what the can to help you get home otr.

Cons

It is a trucking company

Jan 16, 2014Manager of Recruiting