Watlow Electric Manufacturing

2.7
Peter T. Desloge

1. Sales

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Pros

Sales structure was unique and entrepreneurial which attracted the highest of talents. Broad product offering within the industry - one of the major players in electric heaters, sensors and controls. Strong brand recognition in many markets.

Cons

Changing sales structure limited income potential. Still family owned and run, but large enough to be slow to take action and respond to markets. Company built on innovation, but seems to have lost a bit of that technological edge.

Advice to Management

Return to roots of innovation and attracting and retaining top talent at all levels. Identify and continue to build the company on the foundations that established the company as a market leader

2. Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment where people care about each other

Cons

Low pay for operators combined with expensive benefits package

Advice to Management

Cost of benefits would be more fair if it was a function of base salary

3. Great place to work

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Winona, MN

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management was enabling, mentoring and non obstructive.

Cons

Slow to develop new products.

5. My work experience was generally positive.

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Pros

The family has good values and wants to do the right thing by the business and its employees

Cons

Some senior leaders hired ruled by fear vs. earning trust. I believe that has resolved.

Advice to Management

Seek input from all levels of the organization.

6. Shop Floor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Pros

Great people in the shop. Hard workers in the shop

Cons

Upper management is very disconnected. Raises for hard work is not existent. Preach culture and values but do not act that way.

Advice to Management

look at taking acre of the people that make all the money for you instead of pocketing all the revenue.

7. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Great environment
    -Great training
    -Family atmosphere
    -Work life balance is a positive
    -Fun picnics

Cons

-Building is old but they are updating it

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

8. Small gifts to avoid paying real money

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Pros

I will start out by saying that every so often they will do a small, nice gesture. Maybe pass out fruit or at Christmas dress up as Santa and elves. Well, there is a guy up stair that dresses up pretty funny for certain holidays and people like it.

Cons

They like to distract people with anything they can to avoid giving out real pay to people. I'm fed up with the simple answers they paw-off to people, when our turnover rate is high. Like no one knows really why people are leaving and why we have so many interns to run our business. They don't have that many people beating down their door to work for them.

I love the comments that they are family friendly. Just saying it doesn't make it true. Where is the cheaper heath care costs, decent pay, or better flexibility in hours or better vacation.

Advice to Management

Spend less time trying to convince people of how great your company is and instead do good things for them. Then the praise will come. Very poor advancement with them. Either they don't promote or give lame raises.

Co-op Experiance

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very competitive co-op financial incentives.

Cons

For me the downside was the location. I was in the Hannibal, MO location.

Watlow = PAY-low = more turnover = We need more suckers to hire now.

Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Group meetings. Lots of OT all the time. Most of my co-op friends are fun to be with.

Cons

They have lots of positions to fill. Why, it's due to turnover. Why such turnover? Because if you want to move into any good paying job, you'll have to be there 20 years. My facility has only a few hundred and of those had maybe 100 non-manufacturing support personnel. So Engineers, designers, Purchasing, CI, Customer Service and on. We lost a good bunch of them already. The company feels that if they keep using these rotational kids from collage, they'll never have to worry about getting people and then they can also force the pay levels lower. This has worked so well for them. Like one post below said the rotational engineers think the job is good paying until they see what other companies will offer them. So they leave and others seem to follow.

I agree with another post below also. The support team is always short and never has enough resources to get jobs done. Watlow doesn't hire additional resources, only replacements. This leaves them to their priority lists and charts. They specialize in these. Move the people around and around and around.
    They can't afford new people or to hang on to them. But then you hear 1 of our facilities got to celebrate a 100 year celebration. No money though remember. Why didn't the rest of the plants get to celebrate this. "One Watlow'" right?

This next part goes on for all the non-manufacturing employees not just one group either. For the 3 years I was at this place, I saw only the afterhours buddies get special position jobs that don't get posted for everyone to apply. I also have watch HR strong arm pay at every turn. This is both at local and corporate level. They'll give you the "do it for the Greater Watlow". Not for yourself, but think of the Big W.

They will waste money on stupid trainings for 2 days though. Everyone has to go to a program called something like Enrichment of Your Lives or close to that. People don't want to argue and just go. They spent $1,000's's's's's on the conference hall rentals, The program content from a consulting firm, CD's, books, and peoples time. Each month they did this until everyone was through with the training. It was a joke, but when asked about the program, people told them it was great so they don't get lectured. All that money that they have so little of, just to tell people to believe in themselves. That was so useful right?

There was so many action items people vented in those meetings about that they had to use several tablet pages to keep up. In the end not even1 item on that list has been worked on.

I've been fortunate enough to see all 5 of the big facilities and 1 small one outside the US. The US facilities, with the exception of our Minnesota plant, make it look like we traveled to some company that is making parts out of a garage. Now that I think about it, our IL or WI plant looks half like a garage and the other half is more modern. I was told to not be fooled by the modern looking side by the line operators. They told me it looks a little nicer but runs terrible and their expected to make parts still at rate even if it's down. That same facility is also spending tons of money to dress up the building outside. Really? This is wasted spending. I wanted my place to look nice to. Why didn't we get a new outside look.

Advice to Management

People keep leaving and you do nothing. Instead you institute a base raise system which gives everyone a standard only. No matter how good you do or bad. You make benefits so costly that its a pain now to survive on. You medical contribution hasn't changed in 3 years and some have said longer or if it did only $10 more. Remove the people getting the 30% bonus and higher from getting the 2% everyone else gets and reduce the 30% and higher down by 10% boosting the support members and lower supervisors higher than 5%+ let them keep the 2% everyone gets. I think bonuses are great but if your making $120,000 and get just the 30% level you get a $40,000 check. What about spreading that a little better like 15% and drop it down to the levels below that are only at 5%. A $20,000 bonus is still pretty good.

Engineer that escaped a sinking ship

Current Employee - Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing (More than 3 years)

Pros

my employees are great ad really bend over backwards to get work done. The company has a personal, positive view of itself.

Cons

Raises are standard and now all the same. If you do great or poor you all get the same. The wonderful 2% increase. Health coverage is expensive at 3,000 deduct for single and 6,000 for family. We shuffle issues around until everyone forgets the problem and sucks it up to accept it will never be worked on. We focus on personal pet projects and not tough issues

Advice to Management

meet with not only employees but also mid-level members to discuss issues. Allow anonymous comments to allow people to open up also. Spend some money to fix all the issues in that place. you close 1 issue for every 12 we opened up. I don't see the greatness described in other posts on this place. most of these great comments seem to be around people that have gotten their first career break in this place. That view will change as they work with other companies. The turn-over rate in the facility and company was terrible. This should be the real sign that you have a problem. You need to have your management people do something about it besides say that they know the market rates and we know that we are paying well. If you are paying well even little things wouldn't matter to much. It seems you might not be paying well. At the 2% raise rate, in a few years you'll be making less money vs the inflation rate. so in reality you will be working for less year after year. There is also a problem when we have to wait months to fill a position opening and only have a few candidates to choose from. If this company was so great we should have dozens of applicants in a few months. Instead we beg Agencies to help us find more.

Your engineers, Supervisors, CI support, Quality group, Lab teams etc. have not seen a market bump in years and have always been told that the company has only a little money to go around. Every year Watlow has almost no money. Is the company doing that bad?