Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Updated November 12, 2014
2.9

Peter T. Desloge

Co-op Experiance

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very competitive co-op financial incentives.

Cons

For me the downside was the location. I was in the Hannibal, MO location.

Engineer that escaped a sinking ship

Current Employee - Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing (more than 3 years)

Pros

my employees are great ad really bend over backwards to get work done. The company has a personal, positive view of itself.

Cons

Raises are standard and now all the same. If you do great or poor you all get the same. The wonderful 2% increase. Health coverage is expensive at 3,000 deduct for single and 6,000 for family. We shuffle issues around until everyone forgets the problem and sucks it up to accept it will never be worked on. We focus on personal pet projects and not tough issues

meet with not only employees but also mid-level members to discuss issues. Allow anonymous comments to allow people to open up also. Spend some money to fix all the issues in that place. you close 1 issue for every 12 we opened up. I don't see the greatness described in other posts on this place. most of these great comments seem to be around people that have gotten their first career break in this place. That view will change as they work with other companies. The turn-over rate in the facility and company was terrible. This should be the real sign that you have a problem. You need to have your management people do something about it besides say that they know the market rates and we know that we are paying well. If you are paying well even little things wouldn't matter to much. It seems you might not be paying well. At the 2% raise rate, in a few years you'll be making less money vs the inflation rate. so in reality you will be working for less year after year. There is also a problem when we have to wait months to fill a position opening and only have a few candidates to choose from. If this company was so great we should have dozens of applicants in a few months. Instead we beg Agencies to help us find more.

Your engineers, Supervisors, CI support, Quality group, Lab teams etc. have not seen a market bump in years and have always been told that the company has only a little money to go around. Every year Watlow has almost no money. Is the company doing that bad?

Excellent and well managed company

Current Employee - Product Management
    Current Employee - Product Management

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team work and get it done attitude. Senior management really cares about the employees and their welfare.

Cons

Slow at times and tends to analyze everything to death in their decision making. The St. Louis building is about 40 years overdue for renovation.

If you want to push decisions down in the organization then trust the decisions that are made or don't say you want to push them down in the first place.

Watlow is a good company!

Former Employee - Operator II in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Operator II in Columbia, MO

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, salary and shift hours.

Cons

The leadership team need to work on improving on how they operate their production/operator lines.

A temp employee should be treated equal to a full time employee. A full-time employee will always win over a temp employee. I witnessed temps including myself left jobless when management takes their word against the temps. Gather all the facts, witnesses, do not discriminate, use no injustice and judge fairly before ending a temps assignment. A temp shouldn't have to pay because you don't want to pay unemployment for your jobless full time employee.

Learning experience

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Pros

Friendly, Opportunities, Over-time, Hours and Quick paced

Cons

I didn't have any negative experiences while employed there.

Watlow Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Winona, MN

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Here are some of my experiences and views at Watlow:
    - Okay Benefits
    - Family Orientated
    - Overtime
    - Employees mostly care about their jobs and what to build a great product

Cons

- To get anywhere in this company it is "who you know" kind of thing
    - Raises suck! And when you get a raise you end up paying more for you benefits anyways
    - Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    - One piece Flow slows the heck out of the process. They say its faster, but they just change the numbers to make it
       look like we are doing better then we were. Quality has gone down also, less time to inspect.
    - "Testing is non value added" I think that the customer is pay for a good board.

- Improve wages! Overtime should not be considered part of this
    - Get rid of One Piece Flow.
    - Hire qualified people, not the people that you like.

My life at Watlow

Current Employee - Operator I in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Operator I in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hours are flexible, they give the employee many ways to be off with pay if need be

Cons

Pay rate is too low. In this economy the amount of pay the entry level employee makes compared to the temp to hire is no significant differance

raise the pay rate to ease the cost living for employees

They really don't care

Former Employee - Operator II
    Former Employee - Operator II

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like most of my co-works and I really thought my last supervisor was cool to have. I like our facility meetings that explain the business and the future outlook. I like our CI and Customer Service team. They come down and help us if needed and listen to our problems and help us the best they can.

Cons

This place has no incentive to do good. You all get the same raise now. That same raise the last few years has been very weak. This company claims to never make money. Its a good or bad year they tell us that there is no money and they need what they have to invest in new projects. I have never worked for a company that can say it was the best year they have ever had but we have no money in the same speech. The only problem is the new projects are personal pet projects.

If your looking for management to listen to you and help fix the problems you have on the line. You might want to keep looking for another company. They want to hear it, and ask for it, but if it requires more than that to get it solved- forget it then. We have a weird system in this facility management naming . My supervisor has a department boss called a Value Leader . This guy doesn't do anything unless its his idea or his way. He asked for my opinion and didn't even listen to it. In the end he had the answer and asked the team to pretty much say this was the best option. No one liked the idea and if he ever worked with us on the floor he would know it couldn't be done like he wanted.

If this was a normal job, I would say that's the business. BUT this company stresses, "Oh listen to the employees" and "they do the job and know the best solution." This guy talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk. I liked the last few managers we use to have. This guy makes excuses for everything if we want something fixed too. He always has time and people and money for his projects but never for anyone else's. If you want to improve something in your area you might want to bring your own stuff from home since you'll never get it. I've been working on the same broken equipment since I started here. I guess it never made the fix list. I know the production numbers will make the list though, broken equipment or not.

Our HR system is a Joke X10. We have no help or support except for 1 very nice lady that everyone likes because she always smiles and helps you. The other 3 in that office are useless to everyone. The Turn-over is terrible in our facility and the only answer that is given is "oh well". The expensive benefits and low pay are a big part of it. They don't want to hear it because they want to believe the location or the skill level of the job is making people leave. Pay people better or better benefits - No, that can't be the reason, we just have a poor location for people to travel to. For my last thought on this place. I had vacation saved up and wanted an out of the country type vacation. So I asked for 3 weeks and was told no because others were off a few days in that time frame. It's 3 weeks. When am I going to find a time with no one off during 3 weeks of time.

Who wrote some of these awesome reviews on this company. Maybe the date has to do something with it. I see it's getting worse each year and maybe back then it was better It sounds like the owners of the company wrote those great reviews. I bet less than 1 out of 10 on the lines would give it over 2 stars best case.

Show your workers your appreciation besides saying "good job". We like that from time to time.When that's all I hear and nothing to show for it, I get tired of hearing it then. Lets update our lines and infrastructure.

Lack of commitment to training promises

Former Employee - Designer II in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Designer II in Columbia, MO

I worked at Watlow Electric Manufacturing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good manufacturing personal, they are always willing to help. Upper management personal are friendly. HR personal are very helpful

Cons

design team leader lacks commitment to training promises made during the interview process. Design team members show lack of commitment in training new personal. They are afraid of losing their overtime. They set new trainees up to fail.

Show commitment to new personal. Make Design team lead honor her commitments.

We have no money *except for ourselves

Current Employee - Operator II
    Current Employee - Operator II

Pros

cool friends and teams. I like my lead op and his boss when we talk and I like the location to my house and that its close to the expressway

Cons

Pay pretty much just sucks.
    Advancements are a joke.
    Raises are not enough to stay above inflation

I would like a real raise someday from you cheapskates. You always push for more and never give more money. We always hear the super benefits we have. Check out the reality of other companies. These grand benefits are average at best. Oh our great insurance package with 4,000-8,000 deduct for sing/fam is so nice of you. I have a family (1 child + wife ) to support and 8,000 for me at your operator pay level- really?. My old Lead and PTL seem to be struggling to even deal with this cost. When I see them at lunches and after work they are hit just as hard by this company. I also heard that the big shots get 30% bonus. Nice, cry to us again that you have no money and let us celebrate your 2%, thank you raise.