Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Peter T. Desloge

My life at Watlow

Current Employee - Operator I  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Operator I in Columbia, MO

Pros

Hours are flexible, they give the employee many ways to be off with pay if need be

Cons

Pay rate is too low. In this economy the amount of pay the entry level employee makes compared to the temp to hire is no significant differance

raise the pay rate to ease the cost living for employees

Watlow Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Winona, MN

Pros

Here are some of my experiences and views at Watlow:
    - Okay Benefits
    - Family Orientated
    - Overtime
    - Employees mostly care about their jobs and what to build a great product

Cons

- To get anywhere in this company it is "who you know" kind of thing
    - Raises suck! And when you get a raise you end up paying more for you benefits anyways
    - Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    - One piece Flow slows the heck out of the process. They say its faster, but they just change the numbers to make it
       look like we are doing better then we were. Quality has gone down also, less time to inspect.
    - "Testing is non value added" I think that the customer is pay for a good board.

- Improve wages! Overtime should not be considered part of this
    - Get rid of One Piece Flow.
    - Hire qualified people, not the people that you like.

They really don't care

Former Employee - Operator II
    Former Employee - Operator II

Pros

I like most of my co-works and I really thought my last supervisor was cool to have. I like our facility meetings that explain the business and the future outlook. I like our CI and Customer Service team. They come down and help us if needed and listen to our problems and help us the best they can.

Cons

This place has no incentive to do good. You all get the same raise now. That same raise the last few years has been very weak. This company claims to never make money. Its a good or bad year they tell us that there is no money and they need what they have to invest in new projects. I have never worked for a company that can say it was the best year they have ever had but we have no money in the same speech. The only problem is the new projects are personal pet projects.

If your looking for management to listen to you and help fix the problems you have on the line. You might want to keep looking for another company. They want to hear it, and ask for it, but if it requires more than that to get it solved- forget it then. We have a weird system in this facility management naming . My supervisor has a department boss called a Value Leader . This guy doesn't do anything unless its his idea or his way. He asked for my opinion and didn't even listen to it. In the end he had the answer and asked the team to pretty much say this was the best option. No one liked the idea and if he ever worked with us on the floor he would know it couldn't be done like he wanted.

If this was a normal job, I would say that's the business. BUT this company stresses, "Oh listen to the employees" and "they do the job and know the best solution." This guy talks the talk, but fails to walk the walk. I liked the last few managers we use to have. This guy makes excuses for everything if we want something fixed too. He always has time and people and money for his projects but never for anyone else's. If you want to improve something in your area you might want to bring your own stuff from home since you'll never get it. I've been working on the same broken equipment since I started here. I guess it never made the fix list. I know the production numbers will make the list though, broken equipment or not.

Our HR system is a Joke X10. We have no help or support except for 1 very nice lady that everyone likes because she always smiles and helps you. The other 3 in that office are useless to everyone. The Turn-over is terrible in our facility and the only answer that is given is "oh well". The expensive benefits and low pay are a big part of it. They don't want to hear it because they want to believe the location or the skill level of the job is making people leave. Pay people better or better benefits - No, that can't be the reason, we just have a poor location for people to travel to. For my last thought on this place. I had vacation saved up and wanted an out of the country type vacation. So I asked for 3 weeks and was told no because others were off a few days in that time frame. It's 3 weeks. When am I going to find a time with no one off during 3 weeks of time.

Who wrote some of these awesome reviews on this company. Maybe the date has to do something with it. I see it's getting worse each year and maybe back then it was better It sounds like the owners of the company wrote those great reviews. I bet less than 1 out of 10 on the lines would give it over 2 stars best case.

Show your workers your appreciation besides saying "good job". We like that from time to time.When that's all I hear and nothing to show for it, I get tired of hearing it then. Lets update our lines and infrastructure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We have no money *except for ourselves

Current Employee - Operator II
    Current Employee - Operator II

Pros

cool friends and teams. I like my lead op and his boss when we talk and I like the location to my house and that its close to the expressway

Cons

Pay pretty much just sucks.
    Advancements are a joke.
    Raises are not enough to stay above inflation

I would like a real raise someday from you cheapskates. You always push for more and never give more money. We always hear the super benefits we have. Check out the reality of other companies. These grand benefits are average at best. Oh our great insurance package with 4,000-8,000 deduct for sing/fam is so nice of you. I have a family (1 child + wife ) to support and 8,000 for me at your operator pay level- really?. My old Lead and PTL seem to be struggling to even deal with this cost. When I see them at lunches and after work they are hit just as hard by this company. I also heard that the big shots get 30% bonus. Nice, cry to us again that you have no money and let us celebrate your 2%, thank you raise.

Lack of commitment to training promises

Former Employee - Designer II  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Designer II in Columbia, MO

Pros

good manufacturing personal, they are always willing to help. Upper management personal are friendly. HR personal are very helpful

Cons

design team leader lacks commitment to training promises made during the interview process. Design team members show lack of commitment in training new personal. They are afraid of losing their overtime. They set new trainees up to fail.

Show commitment to new personal. Make Design team lead honor her commitments.

Dazed & confused, with snacks...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, IL

Pros

* Most staff I work with is very pleasant and gives 110%.
    * Most staff is willing to help, and at times will go above and beyond to help you if you show how much you value their input.
    * I learned a lot from a few key people, and one thing they had in common was that they are willing to take time to teach each and every day.
    * I liked how Watlow allowed its employees to move laterally throughout the organization, as long as it was a help to the organization as much as the employee.

Cons

* No clear direction from upper management, it is like a bad game of telephone.
    * When a really great co-worker comes in, they do not stay long. And the ones that do try to implement good changes, are pushed out after a few years. Those few superstars can only beat their heads against a wall for so long before they decide maybe their skills could be better used somewhere else.

Once the Executive team has a vision, make it your first priority to get all levels to understand it, before you start strategizing on how to get it accomplished. Some of your most valuable assets are left out when they could be getting you there even faster if they understood better what the intended outcome was.

very cheap company that cry's they never have money for anything

Pros

The coworkers are fun. The lunch room is nice.

Cons

Nothing ever works. Management people or owners won't fix the equipment saying it cost to much always.

The leaders in this company over analysis ever expense till it just forgotten so they don't have to fix the machines for us. Our 2 machines on the line have been broke for 2 years and they just patch it and move on. I CAN'T MAKE YOUR NUMBERS WITH BROKEN STUFF.

Moving in the right direction!

Current Employee - Operator Technician  in  Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Operator Technician in Winona, MN

Pros

Well on their way to lean manufacturing and developing a learning culture.

Cons

Many middle managers are still working as micro managers.

Clean up indirect employees and management issues, there are some that are doing what is best for them, and not for the company. . . and they have been hurting the company for too long!

One of the best companies I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Winona, MN

Pros

Privately held, they provide an excellent employee environment. The company exists to benefit the employees and their communities by providing good jobs and producing quality products that the employees can be proud of. Professional ethics are strong; employees are encouraged to "Do the right thing" for customers.

Cons

No more than any other engineering department encounters.

Niceni

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer  in  Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Winona, MN

Pros

It is a nice place to work for

Cons

None comments at this time

Friendly

Worked for Watlow Electric Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!