Watlow Electric Manufacturing

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter T. Desloge

Dazed & confused, with snacks...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Richmond, IL

Pros* Most staff I work with is very pleasant and gives 110%.
    * Most staff is willing to help, and at times will go above and beyond to help you if you show how much you value their input.
    * I learned a lot from a few key people, and one thing they had in common was that they are willing to take time to teach each and every day.
    * I liked how Watlow allowed its employees to move laterally throughout the organization, as long as it was a help to the organization as much as the employee.

Cons* No clear direction from upper management, it is like a bad game of telephone.
    * When a really great co-worker comes in, they do not stay long. And the ones that do try to implement good changes, are pushed out after a few years. Those few superstars can only beat their heads against a wall for so long before they decide maybe their skills could be better used somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce the Executive team has a vision, make it your first priority to get all levels to understand it, before you start strategizing on how to get it accomplished. Some of your most valuable assets are left out when they could be getting you there even faster if they understood better what the intended outcome was.

Lack of commitment to training promises

Designer II (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MO

Prosgood manufacturing personal, they are always willing to help. Upper management personal are friendly. HR personal are very helpful

Consdesign team leader lacks commitment to training promises made during the interview process. Design team members show lack of commitment in training new personal. They are afraid of losing their overtime. They set new trainees up to fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow commitment to new personal. Make Design team lead honor her commitments.

We have no money *except for ourselves

Operator II (Current Employee)

Proscool friends and teams. I like my lead op and his boss when we talk and I like the location to my house and that its close to the expressway

ConsPay pretty much just sucks.
    Advancements are a joke.
    Raises are not enough to stay above inflation

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like a real raise someday from you cheapskates. You always push for more and never give more money. We always hear the super benefits we have. Check out the reality of other companies. These grand benefits are average at best. Oh our great insurance package with 4,000-8,000 deduct for sing/fam is so nice of you. I have a family (1 child + wife ) to support and 8,000 for me at your operator pay level- really?. My old Lead and PTL seem to be struggling to even deal with this cost. When I see them at lunches and after work they are hit just as hard by this company. I also heard that the big shots get 30% bonus. Nice, cry to us again that you have no money and let us celebrate your 2%, thank you raise.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very cheap company that cry's they never have money for anything

ProsThe coworkers are fun. The lunch room is nice.

ConsNothing ever works. Management people or owners won't fix the equipment saying it cost to much always.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leaders in this company over analysis ever expense till it just forgotten so they don't have to fix the machines for us. Our 2 machines on the line have been broke for 2 years and they just patch it and move on. I CAN'T MAKE YOUR NUMBERS WITH BROKEN STUFF.

Moving in the right direction!

Operator Technician (Current Employee)
    Winona, MN

ProsWell on their way to lean manufacturing and developing a learning culture.

ConsMany middle managers are still working as micro managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up indirect employees and management issues, there are some that are doing what is best for them, and not for the company. . . and they have been hurting the company for too long!

One of the best companies I've ever worked for

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Winona, MN

ProsPrivately held, they provide an excellent employee environment. The company exists to benefit the employees and their communities by providing good jobs and producing quality products that the employees can be proud of. Professional ethics are strong; employees are encouraged to "Do the right thing" for customers.

ConsNo more than any other engineering department encounters.

Niceni

Firmware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Winona, MN

ProsIt is a nice place to work for

ConsNone comments at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementFriendly

manufacturing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros2 shifts to choose from

Consnot a lot of room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementlisten

don't really care about people, just money

Lead Operator (Former Employee)
    Richmond, IL

Prosthere are a lot of great people to work alongside

Consengineers and above think they are gods. no open door policy, and if you're not in the "click", forget about it.

Advice to Senior Managementswallow your pride

Amazing opportunities, confusing organization and company goals

Production Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MO

Pros-Great atmosphere, very laid back...much like a family
       -People are very friendly and have a lot of expertise, great for a developing engineer
    -Very diverse amount of work for a company that mainly makes heaters
    -Wide variety of markets targeted...creates stability

Cons-Lack of communication and knowledge of floor operations between manufacturing and management
    -Antiquated equipment and software scattered about the company
    -Difficult to work with other divisions
    -Information learned from past and current projects is not accessible for future endeavors

Advice to Senior ManagementPick and organization structure and stick with it. Reorganizations take a lot of time and money and greatly reduce the companies ability to operate.

Managers need to be working on the floor and experiencing (understanding) first-hand the challenges that production/manufacturing go through. There is no substitute for first-hand experience.

Worked for Watlow Electric Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Watlow Electric Manufacturing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Watlow Electric Manufacturing CEO Peter T. Desloge. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Watlow Electric Manufacturing employees.