Watson Wyatt

Be The First To
Add Photos

Watson Wyatt Chairman, President, and CEO John J. Haley

John J. Haley

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance (averaged 40-45 hrs a week as a "band 1" analyst)"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great opportunities for advancement"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours, ambiguity with leadership"
    in 3 reviews
  • "A single medical plan option: high-deductible health plan with HSA, and WW's contribution is paltry"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mostly enjoyed the work

Compensation Consultant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

ProsInteresting work
Freedom with assignments
Good benefits

ConsSmall pay raises
Some leadership just so-so
Should allow more flexible schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow from within instead of hiring managers from other firms.

Group Healthcare Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Group Healthcare) (Former Employee)
Universal City, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

ProsThe office events, the gifts and the time off or availabilty to work remotely. business cards, expense accounts, gas/meal reimbursements.

Conslong hours, ambiguity with leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and great parties!

Summer Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

ProsOverall a beneficial internship for summer during college. Management (at least the one I was in contact with) was very nice and helpful and allowed a good work/life balance.

ConsSome of the tasks can be repetitive at times and sometimes there can be misinformation between offices among different locations. Could use a training program.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am interested to see how the merger with Towers proceeds. The move was a smart considering the business environment, but integration problems remain to be seen.

Good Team, Long Hours

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsWorked with great people
Company takes good care of the team
Frequent perks, food credit, etc.
Great opportunities for advancement

ConsSome projects seem to last forever
Low vacation time, culture of working long hours
Some competition between offices (not excessive)
High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementImproving the communication between offices would help very much. Also, not sure if this has changed since I was there but file sharing could have been made easier over the network.

WW is fine up to a point

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

ProsWW is full of pretty smart, easy going, respectful people. The culture is good, the people are great, work is good. The only problem is hitting a ceiling in salary band.

ConsThe salary band promotion process is okay from bands 1 to 3, a little iffy at band 4, and downright odd at band 5. At the higher levels, its not a meritocricy but a political scheme.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the promotion process. Train managers to give career path options to associates. Offer mid year propotions.

Great place to work

I have been working at Watson Wyatt

ProsThere are many great reasons to work at Watson Wyatt. High salaries and bonuses which are performance based, are top on the list. The Watson Wyatt brand is well respected in the industry -- this reputation is well deserved.

ConsI only have 2 complaints about Watson Wyatt. The health insurance option & the Performance Development Program (PDP). There is only one option for health insurance -- a "consumer directed high deductible plan". The PDP is too time consuming.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you are doing in commuticating to the employees regarding the (yet to be finalized) merger with Towers Perrin.

You job title and what you interviewed for are not what you get.

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Watson Wyatt

ProsWell established and financially stable.

ConsEvery week is a death march. Little to no feedback on performance. Mid-senior level management would rather spend millions on writing software rather than spend $10k to buy an off-the-shelf solution. Software framework that the division is married to does not appear to have future growth potential. Office politics royally suck. 90%+ of the people I physically worked with are depressed and not satisfied with treatment they receive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHi John,

If I were you I would do a quite, in depth inspection at the Grade 3 and below levels. Your Grade 4 & 5's are pulling the wool over your eyes. It is the worst leadership development plan I have ever seen and does not follow even your own internal guidelines. It sill makes me sick thinking about it nearly a year later.

Nice place to work -- when you are billable.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Watson Wyatt

ProsWhen there is plenty of work and you are billable -- it is a great place. Fun people.

ConsNot much emphasis on practice development or nonbillable activities needed to build tools to better serve the client and make the practice more efficient. .You must be a billing machine. That is all that matters. Work like a scared animal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow you technical capabilities. Take on the best of TP, but not it's culture.

Best of the bunch

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Watson Wyatt

ProsThe corporate culture is respectful and serious, but relaxed enough to be comfortable; the atmosphere is fun; The co workers are people you want to spend time with outside of work

ConsBenefits are surprisingly poor for a benefits consultng firm; like all consulting firms, your experience will depend on the location and the practice

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your benefits fo ryou employees so you can be an example for your own clients! Start with a reasonable (competitive) vacation/PTO policy!

A great place to work, but company must become more global

Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Watson Wyatt

ProsGood quality people throughout the organization. Clear and focused business strategy, with distinct service lines that have remainded fixed over recent years, at a time when competitors have chopped and changed their approaches on a regular basis. Opportunities for global mobility are good, although better in some practices than others. Research base is strong across all business lines.

ConsCould be more joined up globally, especially within investment consulting. It is a very conservative organization, where management often prioritizes stability of service over innovation. The company is managed on a global matrix strucure, with the matrix divided by geography and business line. The geographical aspects to the matrix are a clear weakness, since it makes managers focus on their distinct geogrpahical areas rather than working to benefit the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementView the company globally and abandon the focus on individual geographies

Worked for Watson Wyatt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Watson Wyatt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Watson Wyatt CEO John J. Haley. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Watson Wyatt employees.