Watson Wyatt Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Very friendly group, lots of positive reinforcement.

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

If you are interested in benefits and compensation, Watson Wyatt is the most professional staff in the industry. I learned a lot about the industry while I was allowed analytical freedom to perform work I thought would provide value to the company. The Senior Analyst I worked with provided me both with mentorship and encouragement leaving me with an excellent experience. While I eventually decided the industry was not for me it was a great learning opportunity for me.

Cons

The work can be a little tedious if you are expecting more client interaction at a lower level.

2. Mostly enjoyed the work

Former Employee - Compensation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Compensation Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

Interesting work
    Freedom with assignments
    Good benefits

Cons

Small pay raises
    Some leadership just so-so
    Should allow more flexible schedules

Advice to Management

Grow from within instead of hiring managers from other firms.

3. Group Healthcare Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant (Group Healthcare) in Universal City, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

The office events, the gifts and the time off or availabilty to work remotely. business cards, expense accounts, gas/meal reimbursements.

Cons

long hours, ambiguity with leadership

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and great parties!

5. Summer Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

Overall a beneficial internship for summer during college. Management (at least the one I was in contact with) was very nice and helpful and allowed a good work/life balance.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be repetitive at times and sometimes there can be misinformation between offices among different locations. Could use a training program.

Advice to Management

I am interested to see how the merger with Towers proceeds. The move was a smart considering the business environment, but integration problems remain to be seen.

6. Good Team, Long Hours

Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

Worked with great people
    Company takes good care of the team
    Frequent perks, food credit, etc.
    Great opportunities for advancement

Cons

Some projects seem to last forever
    Low vacation time, culture of working long hours
    Some competition between offices (not excessive)
    High turnover

Advice to Management

Improving the communication between offices would help very much. Also, not sure if this has changed since I was there but file sharing could have been made easier over the network.

7. WW is fine up to a point

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

WW is full of pretty smart, easy going, respectful people. The culture is good, the people are great, work is good. The only problem is hitting a ceiling in salary band.

Cons

The salary band promotion process is okay from bands 1 to 3, a little iffy at band 4, and downright odd at band 5. At the higher levels, its not a meritocricy but a political scheme.

Advice to Management

Change the promotion process. Train managers to give career path options to associates. Offer mid year propotions.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Watson Wyatt

Pros

There are many great reasons to work at Watson Wyatt. High salaries and bonuses which are performance based, are top on the list. The Watson Wyatt brand is well respected in the industry -- this reputation is well deserved.

Cons

I only have 2 complaints about Watson Wyatt. The health insurance option & the Performance Development Program (PDP). There is only one option for health insurance -- a "consumer directed high deductible plan". The PDP is too time consuming.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing in commuticating to the employees regarding the (yet to be finalized) merger with Towers Perrin.

You job title and what you interviewed for are not what you get.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

Well established and financially stable.

Cons

Every week is a death march. Little to no feedback on performance. Mid-senior level management would rather spend millions on writing software rather than spend $10k to buy an off-the-shelf solution. Software framework that the division is married to does not appear to have future growth potential. Office politics royally suck. 90%+ of the people I physically worked with are depressed and not satisfied with treatment they receive.

Advice to Management

Hi John,

If I were you I would do a quite, in depth inspection at the Grade 3 and below levels. Your Grade 4 & 5's are pulling the wool over your eyes. It is the worst leadership development plan I have ever seen and does not follow even your own internal guidelines. It sill makes me sick thinking about it nearly a year later.

10. Nice place to work -- when you are billable.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Watson Wyatt

Pros

When there is plenty of work and you are billable -- it is a great place. Fun people.

Cons

Not much emphasis on practice development or nonbillable activities needed to build tools to better serve the client and make the practice more efficient. .You must be a billing machine. That is all that matters. Work like a scared animal.

Advice to Management

Grow you technical capabilities. Take on the best of TP, but not it's culture.

11. Best of the bunch

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Watson Wyatt

Pros

The corporate culture is respectful and serious, but relaxed enough to be comfortable; the atmosphere is fun; The co workers are people you want to spend time with outside of work

Cons

Benefits are surprisingly poor for a benefits consultng firm; like all consulting firms, your experience will depend on the location and the practice

Advice to Management

Improve your benefits fo ryou employees so you can be an example for your own clients! Start with a reasonable (competitive) vacation/PTO policy!

RSS Feed </> Embed