Wausau Paper

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wausau Paper President, CEO, and Director Thomas J. Howatt

Thomas J. Howatt

Wausau Paper was a good company to work for.

Maintenance (Former Employee)

I worked at Wausau Paper full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWausau Paper pays employees well.

ConsMiddletown mill is old, is being repaired but old.

Senior Management is clueless, if the shareholders don't continue to apply pressure there could be serious problems.

Harrodsburg, KY

I have been working at Wausau Paper full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are many people there who truly care and work very hard to do the right thing.

ConsManagement does not listen to employees. Some hourly employees are not allowed to take lunch breaks. Management bases treatment of employees on whether they are liked personally or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully Starboard will do their job and replace the entire management group before they run this company completely in the ground.

Power Plant Manager

Power Plant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Wausau Paper full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWausau Paper can be a very productive place to work, allowing an individual to rise to their potential.

ConsWausau Paper has a large turnover in upper management. When new management arrives they make changes without investigating the potential's of the current employee's

Advice to Senior ManagementNew upper management should review with known facts before making assumption's on their own. They should look out for the business at hand.

Good benefits, friendly team

I have been working at Wausau Paper full-time

ProsFast paced and have opportunities to get involved in many aspects of the business

ConsToo many chiefs, not enough indians

This is a company where the employees become like family.

Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee)
Harrodsburg, KY

I have been working at Wausau Paper full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people. Great benefits. Good wages for the area.

ConsLousy employee review process - demeaning and lowers morale. This company needs a more objective review process and should definitely implement a 360 Review System. I believe it's difficult for some managers to be objective when they really don't have a clue what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful that you look at the whole person and don't pigeon-hole people based on only what you see they can do. Challenges and opportunities will allow some employees to shine and show you qualities and characteristics that you never knew they had.

In years past, this was "The Place" to work. Not anymore."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wausau Paper

Prospay was good, hours were good

Consmanagement or lack there of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the voice of the employee in mind when making decisions

Wausau overpays its employees to compensate for its many corporate downsides.

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
Middletown, OH

I have been working at Wausau Paper full-time for more than a year

ProsEvery employee, from the union workers to the mill manager is overpaid. If you looking for a work environment where all that is expected from you is to maintain the status quo, this company is for you. Extremely high turn-over rate for salaried management positions; can move up quickly because someone is let go.

ConsThis is not the company you want to be at if you consider yourself to be innovative or an out of the box thinker. Although employees are over paid, they literally give their lives to the mill. Union workers often work 60-80+ hours a week so they can reap the benefits of overtime, and salary employees are required to be on call at all hours of the day. There is no separation between a Wausau employees personal life and work life. Because of high turn-over rate, job security is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of Wausau Paper is very stagnant, and content with maintaining the status quo. A huge culture shift needs to occur to encourage people to be engaged in their job and be innovative and progressive.

Its a good place to work, it is a leader in Green tissue and towel

I have been working at Wausau Paper

ProsGood pay, good benefits, pay is high than most places in the area

ConsOlder facility, older equipment, infrastructure of the facility makes it a challenge to perform tasks that would be easy at a newer facility

Best chance of success in the Forest Company sector

Sales / Marketing (Current Employee)
Wausau, WI

ProsSolid Company with a future

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Communication

Future very gloomy at Jay, Me mill.

Production (Current Employee)
Jay, ME

I have been working at Wausau Paper

ProsGood pay for the area. Very good people at the site, enjoyable group to work with. Very dedicated hourly workforce. Very knowledgeable work force. A lot of experience at the lower levels of management and within the hourly ranks

ConsVery poor communication at the management level. No control at the site. Micro manged from corprate headquaters. Wausau not showing commitment to the future of the otis mill. Have been setting the facility up to fail for the past 5 plus years. Do not treat employees with any respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking through important decisions. Get feedback from site management. Focus on improving sales for site

Worked for Wausau Paper? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wausau Paper reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wausau Paper CEO Thomas J. Howatt. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Wausau Paper employees.