Wausau Paper

Thomas J. Howatt

Best chance of success in the Forest Company sector

Sales / Marketing (Current Employee) Wausau, WI

ProsSolid Company with a future

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Communication

Wausau Paper was a good company to work for.

Maintenance (Former Employee) Middletown, OH

ProsWausau Paper pays employees well.

ConsMiddletown mill is old, is being repaired but old.

This is a company where the employees become like family.

Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) Harrodsburg, KY

ProsGreat people. Great benefits. Good wages for the area.

ConsLousy employee review process - demeaning and lowers morale. This company needs a more objective review process and should definitely implement a 360 Review System. I believe it's difficult for some managers to be objective when they really don't have a clue what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful that you look at the whole person and don't pigeon-hole people based on only what you see they can do. Challenges and opportunities will allow some employees to shine and show you qualities and characteristics that you never knew they had.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its a good place to work, it is a leader in Green tissue and towel

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Middletown, OH

ProsGood pay, good benefits, pay is high than most places in the area

ConsOlder facility, older equipment, infrastructure of the facility makes it a challenge to perform tasks that would be easy at a newer facility

A proud tradition being eaten away by the modern world

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA business trying to improve its I.T. environment. Some management quite open to change and new ideas. Employees care about helping business customers. Benefits are generally better than one might expect.

ConsCore management concepts are staid and slow to adapt to the modern world. Compensation was reasonable but limited. As with similar businesses, the goal of management seems to be to maintain a status quo with other organizations (and the past) rather than innovate, adapt and think outside the box concerning employment attitudes.

Power Plant Manager

Power Plant Manager (Former Employee) Middletown, OH

ProsWausau Paper can be a very productive place to work, allowing an individual to rise to their potential.

ConsWausau Paper has a large turnover in upper management. When new management arrives they make changes without investigating the potential's of the current employee's

Advice to Senior ManagementNew upper management should review with known facts before making assumption's on their own. They should look out for the business at hand.

In years past, this was "The Place" to work. Not anymore."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay was good, hours were good

Consmanagement or lack there of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the voice of the employee in mind when making decisions

Wausau overpays its employees to compensate for its many corporate downsides.

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Middletown, OH

ProsEvery employee, from the union workers to the mill manager is overpaid. If you looking for a work environment where all that is expected from you is to maintain the status quo, this company is for you. Extremely high turn-over rate for salaried management positions; can move up quickly because someone is let go.

ConsThis is not the company you want to be at if you consider yourself to be innovative or an out of the box thinker. Although employees are over paid, they literally give their lives to the mill. Union workers often work 60-80+ hours a week so they can reap the benefits of overtime, and salary employees are required to be on call at all hours of the day. There is no separation between a Wausau employees personal life and work life. Because of high turn-over rate, job security is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of Wausau Paper is very stagnant, and content with maintaining the status quo. A huge culture shift needs to occur to encourage people to be engaged in their job and be innovative and progressive.

Good benefits, friendly team

ProsFast paced and have opportunities to get involved in many aspects of the business

ConsToo many chiefs, not enough indians

From stable to uncertain

ProsBenefits are on par with industry.

ConsManagement actions for stockholders, not future of company or employees

Worked for Wausau Paper? Contribute to the Community!