Wawa

Wawa Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens

Chris Gheysens

Pros:
  • "Great people, good pay, excellent ESOP and 401k (retirement plans) and other perks"
    in 17 reviews
  • "401k company match, Employee Stock Ownership, paid time off, community involvement, promotes from within - just to name a few"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Scheduling is horrible; there is no work-life balance unless you have a family"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Need to jump through hoops to get promotions and tell upper management what they want to hear"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company

Shift Manager (Former Employee)
    Wayne, PA

ProsExcellent company culture and career advancement opportunity. Great products and affiliations. Great people from associates to managers.

ConsLimited locations and products. Need for better time management and delegating amongst managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand locations and Products

Great until you become a manager or cross the "wrong" person

Fresh Food Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsPay rate is above average in most positions.
    Core values include Passion for Winning
    Business learning opportunities
    Contests with rewards

ConsOpen 24/7 365 days per year
    Poor store leadership at most locations
    Unethical behavior tolerated due to "politics"

Advice to Senior ManagementLIVE AND WORK THE VALUES!!!

Work till you drop

Bridgeport, PA

ProsThe time goes very quickly

ConsIt is physically impossible to fulfill all the demands and restrictions that management puts upon you. There are never enough people scheduled and usually someone does not show up. Our store manager solves this shortage by belittling everyone for not working hard enough. Then, if you really do put out an extraordinary effort by doing the work of multiple people and work double shifts sometimes all night long without breaks into the following morning, you can expect to be rewarded by having your hours cut. If you are lucky, you may receive "goosebumps" points valued around $2-$3.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of telling your associates how good you are to them, maybe you should actually try it! Have you ever considered actively listening to your employees?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatest place to work everrrrrrrrrr!!!

Inventory Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsI used to work for Dollar General and I thought that company had scarred me for life in the field of retail, until I came to work for WaWa. What a great company that shows you they care. They respect you and reward you for hard work and dedication. They treat you like family!!

ConsI don't like to wear a hat constantly. LOL. It crushes my hair.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Thank you for rescuing me and showing me that there are still great companies out there that value their people!! ��

Good enough to work part-time through school and that's about it.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Upper Darby, PA

ProsGood for getting me through school but not for meeting the right contacts to get ahead.

ConsLots of changing processes and not everyone is kept in the loop, sometimes even until it is too late. Having to come in to work with a fake smile on when you are passed up for promotion as they decided to hire from outside of the company instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more opinions to be voiced from the lower end worker as they are the ones driving the company to where it is today.

Shift manager

Shift Manager (Current Employee)
    Middletown, NJ

ProsBenefits are very good for part time work. Most employers do not offer pto if you are only part time, Wawa does.

ConsAssoc's call out all the time from work. There is a lack of consistency with breaks, communication, training, and holding employees accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, without employees, you do not have a company that will grow successfully.

Not a bad starter job, or if you want to move up the ranks.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Toms River, NJ

ProsIf you are getting this as a first job, it provides good opportunities to learn a variety of skills, including cash register skills, customer interaction, and customer satisfaction, among other things. If you are looking to move up into a manger position, they are always willing to give you a chance and train you for interviews, and I've heard once you are giving an MIT position, they are very helpful at training you, and the salary for managers is supposedly great. Also, they are usually pretty good with giving you the hours that you want, and working with your schedule.

ConsI know people who work at a few different Wawa stores, so it is not just my opinion, but sometimes there is a lot of crazy things that you have to deal with, and not just customers. The managers sometimes take advantage of you, regardless of how long you've been there, when people call out repeatedly and they make you feel as if you HAVE to come in to cover shifts at times. They aren't always appreciative of your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe consider being more appreciative of your long term employees or people who always help you out when needed or do whatever they can for you.

Corporate company that feels more like a family business

ProsThe best training program I have ever seen in a retail setting. Large room for growth within the company. Many benefits such as ESOP, tuition reimbursement

ConsCompany is going through a period of change, so things can get hectic and confusing with directions from upper management

Hard work. Great benefits

ProsCan be a very fun place to work

ConsCan be at times very stressful due to tight labor scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management need to give labor to handle one off events that can occur during a shift

Good culture and fair amount of opportunity

Store Associate (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers and customers are often very friendly at these stores. Depending on the management, well-run stores have efficient and dependable people who will make your day a breeze. Just chat with everyone and have a good time here, that is the general culture. If you are ambitious and maintain an ongoing dialogue with your managers, there are opportunities to move up. The company seems genuine about promoting good causes, enriching their communities, and helping their associates grow. ESOP and benefits. Anyone can get benefits if they want them and are a decent worker. The ESOP (employee stocks) program is great. The company is privately owned, and after working there for years (if you are over 21), you get stocks. It takes 6 years to become fully vested, but by that time you may have a cool $15-20k even as a normal associate; without costing you anything.

ConsThere are times when it will be busy and you will need to handle many customers in a short period of time; at the register, deli, gas pumps. There are also a myriad of tasks to be done every day along with serving customers, so if you are busy then you need to also get your chores done quicker. The cons depend a lot on the store you work in. A very busy store may be stressful and hectic. At slow stores you will have extra time to chat with everyone. Some stores have poor management or irritating coworkers, but this is inevitable anywhere. Obstacles arise for ambitious people when there is a lot of competition at their store or there are not many promotions available nearby. In the right conditions you can definitely get promoted, but it is equally true that if you are in poor soil, you will not be able to grow or advance at your store.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain your course. Keep focusing on the values and culture and keeping a personal, human touch in everything. Keep pumping good causes and working on making sure your employees have opportunities for promotion and learning. In-house products are above average but still room for improvement. Higher quality ingredients are a cost issue, but may be the only way to improve.

Worked for Wawa? Contribute to the Community!

Wawa Videos

Wawa – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Working at Wawa is More than Just a Job...​​​​ ​​Looking for an opportunity that combines teamwork, community, and advancement, in a supportive environment that offers valuable benefits? If you said "yes", then you… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wawa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens. All 259 reviews posted anonymously by Wawa employees.