Wawa Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.8

Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens
Chris Gheysens

Pros
  • Great people, good pay, excellent ESOP and 401k (retirement plans) and other perks (in 18 reviews)

• They offer good benefits for those who work a decent amount of hours as well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be good at planning ahead to ensure a solid work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• 24/7 Business that never closes can be highly demanding & draining at times (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, great salary but poor work/life balance. This company is all about who you know!

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Vineland, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. This is the reason most people stay.. It is impossible to find a job that compares to Wawa's compensation. The free stock and retirement package is amazing!

Cons

You have no personal life if your a manager. Once you are promoted to a fuel store, there's very little room to move up. External hires are paid far more (and they have guaranteed bonuses) than people dedicated to the company for years!! There is no additional pay for working the highest volume, toughest stores. Everything is based on if you achieve your outrageous budget, not on Prior year sales and business growth. If your area manager dislikes you for any reason, you will be unemployed or demoted for certain!!!

The politics of the company make those working in the stores disgruntled. People get promoted to area manager & lead levels only because they know the right people. Yearly evals and FOSA Documentation are never considered for promotions??! When applying for a position, the candidate gets the job based on an interview ( that some candidates have access to the questions weeks prior) not on they're previous work performance or because they truly are the best person for the job! Thus the people that deserve promotion rarely get it!! Store level people are held accountable for everything and anything they do, however this is not true for the supporting departments. Store operations also gets frustrated with the amount of money the company wastes on non-essential things. When finances are tight the first thing that is cut is store labor??? When as a company we blow millions a year on things such as flying FL managers to events and paying for rooms, food, cars, air fare..etc...

Great company to work they value their people.

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Culture and benefits. People are awesome.

Cons

Not enough pay for the amount
    Of
    Work.

Learn the culture. Enjoy your people.

Excellent Company Great Benifits

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Excellent Company Great Benifits plan

Cons

Can not think of any negitives

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Egg Harbor City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Egg Harbor City, NJ

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to learn and grow with a company that is moving forward in retail!

Cons

Long hours, the need to take work home with you because it is impossible to get things done during the work day

Work in the stores and next to your people! Some upper management have done this and it has bonded associates and management

Amazing, simply amazing

Current Employee - Fuel Associate  in  Jackson, NJ
    Current Employee - Fuel Associate in Jackson, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, good hours, benefits, customers, easy job, the overall aura of the place is fantastic

Cons

Some customers can be rude, and others think it's your fault that the gas is expensive, but the amount of good customers outweighs that by a long shot.

Keep up the good work

Learning culture

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Flexibility, training, networking, values, education assistance

Cons

Work life balance, pigeon holed, losing family centric focus

Great People, Great Benefits, Great Core Values.

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Core Values, Great benefits with 401k company match and employee stock ownership plan, great wellness program, up and coming career development programs, good amount of paid time off (especially for full-time employees), great financial stability as a company, competitive pay, free coffee!

Cons

All open positions are very competitive, so it may be tough to get to the level that you want to be at in your career quickly; store-level has long and sometimes unusual hours

Hard Work Environment with great pay

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Wawa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great oppurtunity to gain additional income through budgets. Up to $3500/month in bonus.

Cons

political atmosphere, lots of hard work, and must work long strenous hours.

cross your I's and dot your T's

I really used to like it but then things got bad.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Wawa part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a nice place to work depending on what store your working at. Its flexible and the pay isn't bad

Cons

The management can suck at times. If you don't have the right General manager or managers the store can fall apart quickly. They don't respect your days off and will call u frequently

Got driven out by upper management

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great. The pay rate was OK. The PTO was by far my favorite. PTO was probably the best plan I've seen at any company.

Cons

Upper management treating people like they are worthless. People getting the short end of the stick because they aren't in the "in" group. If the general manager and an associate are close, the associate will most likely get promoted. There's no equal treatment with upper management. If you and your AGM and GM don't get along you don't survive in the company. Also, there was no balance of work/life balance. My family would be devastated that I would work such weird schedules. At times I would be scheduled 6am-3pm and other times 11am-11pm. Several times I was scheduled 11am-8pm and then come back the next day and work 3am-2pm.

Treat everyone fairly. Diversity in the company is there for a reason. Just because you don't agree with the way someone does something doesn't make it wrong. It makes it different. WAWA couldn't be successful without diversity in their stores. Be open to new ideas and have a genuine open door policy. Not a.... it's open if I like what you have to say policy.

Worked for Wawa? Contribute to the Community!