Wawa Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.8

Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens
Chris Gheysens

Pros
  • Great people, good pay, excellent ESOP and 401k (retirement plans) and other perks (in 18 reviews)

• They offer good benefits for those who work a decent amount of hours as well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be good at planning ahead to ensure a solid work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• 24/7 Business that never closes can be highly demanding & draining at times (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company Great Benifits

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Excellent Company Great Benifits plan

Cons

Can not think of any negitives

Good company, great salary but poor work/life balance. This company is all about who you know!

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Vineland, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. This is the reason most people stay.. It is impossible to find a job that compares to Wawa's compensation. The free stock and retirement package is amazing!

Cons

You have no personal life if your a manager. Once you are promoted to a fuel store, there's very little room to move up. External hires are paid far more (and they have guaranteed bonuses) than people dedicated to the company for years!! There is no additional pay for working the highest volume, toughest stores. Everything is based on if you achieve your outrageous budget, not on Prior year sales and business growth. If your area manager dislikes you for any reason, you will be unemployed or demoted for certain!!!

The politics of the company make those working in the stores disgruntled. People get promoted to area manager & lead levels only because they know the right people. Yearly evals and FOSA Documentation are never considered for promotions??! When applying for a position, the candidate gets the job based on an interview ( that some candidates have access to the questions weeks prior) not on they're previous work performance or because they truly are the best person for the job! Thus the people that deserve promotion rarely get it!! Store level people are held accountable for everything and anything they do, however this is not true for the supporting departments. Store operations also gets frustrated with the amount of money the company wastes on non-essential things. When finances are tight the first thing that is cut is store labor??? When as a company we blow millions a year on things such as flying FL managers to events and paying for rooms, food, cars, air fare..etc...

Amazing, simply amazing

Current Employee - Fuel Associate  in  Jackson, NJ
    Current Employee - Fuel Associate in Jackson, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, good hours, benefits, customers, easy job, the overall aura of the place is fantastic

Cons

Some customers can be rude, and others think it's your fault that the gas is expensive, but the amount of good customers outweighs that by a long shot.

Keep up the good work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Great Benefits, Great Core Values.

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Core Values, Great benefits with 401k company match and employee stock ownership plan, great wellness program, up and coming career development programs, good amount of paid time off (especially for full-time employees), great financial stability as a company, competitive pay, free coffee!

Cons

All open positions are very competitive, so it may be tough to get to the level that you want to be at in your career quickly; store-level has long and sometimes unusual hours

Great company

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Benefits are great. Great People.

Cons

Hours are not that great

I lost my family

Former Employee - Fresh Food Manager  in  Quakertown, PA
    Former Employee - Fresh Food Manager in Quakertown, PA

I worked at Wawa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family like work environment. Cutting edge technology, and always has a finger on the pulse of the customer. Unlimited resources at your disposal.

Cons

Always gogogo, never a moment to breathe or stop to eat. Longer hours than expected.

Upper management needs to stop for a minute and listen to their managers and associates, they have a lot to say, but you rarely take the time to listen.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Berlin, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Berlin, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great hours
    Lots of benefits
    Family like atmosphere

Cons

There is no cons at the one I work at

None

Great company culture with trickle down values.

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Base salary and bonuses are generous and competitive for the market. Total compensations is the kicker! 401K Match, and Employee Stock Ownership Program plop a nice chunk of change on your already competitive salary. The work culture is very good. People are engaged and easy to work with. Work/life balance is fantastic and your managers ENCOURAGE you to take time off. PTO is generous and keeps growing year to year.

Cons

Tough to move up because nobody wants to leave! Internal customer service staggers from department to department. Some managers/associates aren't great at making a partner feel valued. Although this is a con, I feel like every company has issues like this.

Surveys for internal customer service to assess relationships between departments. Encourage mentoring and partnerships between different teams to allow high performing to develop. The most common complaint for non-management associates is how difficult it is to break through to the management side from a personal contributor. Perhaps, management development classes for high performers should be made available.

Loved working at Wawa.

Former Employee - Shift Manager  in  Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Royersford, PA

I worked at Wawa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved the people I worked with and the customers. I also loved working there because they worked with my school schedule.

Cons

I would have liked to get paid more hourly.

The benefits and pay are beyond compare, but it is a 24/7 fast-paced, stressful lifestyle. Wawa is not for the weak!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Wawa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, ESOP, Paid time off, community involvement, internal promotions, internal training, opportunities in a variety of jobs, tuition reimbursement, fast-paced, hectic, physically demanding, rewarding, up-lifting culture, leadership that listens. We are given the opportunity to make most decisions as if we were business owners. We are given the tools to succeed.

Cons

24-7, weekends, holidays, entitled customers, demanding expectations, work-life balance. Wawa is a constant on-call situation. We never close, that means everyone from the GM down must work holidays and weekends. This can be difficult to balance with family obligations.

Help the associates (GM down the ranks) to focus and improve their work-life balance, constant on-call status of GM and AGM. Stores need help with recruiting and retention especially around 3rd shift and 3rd shift management. GMs cannot be in their stores 24/7, sometimes bad things happen and the GM could not have prevented it.

Worked for Wawa? Contribute to the Community!