Wawa Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.8

Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens
Chris Gheysens

Pros
  • Great pay, benefits, 401K and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (in 11 reviews)

• They offer good benefits for those who work a decent amount of hours as well (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be good at planning ahead to ensure a solid work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• 24/7 Business that never closes can be highly demanding & draining at times (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Its Okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Wawa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good first job to have. Gave me a lot of work ethic and allowed me an opportunity to interact with a number of people.

Cons

I seemed to work a lot of swing shifts and never made as much as my coworkers.

Give raises to those that deserve them and promote from within more than hiring in people as managers.

Wawa is awesome!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Wawa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

very flexible managers, always willing to work with you on hours.

Cons

must be very active, will eventually work all positions.

Great work environment

I worked at Wawa

Pros

Wawa was an excellent work place. Everyone is friendly. Management cares about you. I would recommend anyone working at wawa.

Cons

The negatives about working at wawa would be the hours. Since it is open 24 hours, someone always has to be there.

None

Great job but very stressful

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Mostly great co-workers, decent pay, awesome regular customers, free coffee while on shift

Cons

Very busy, never knew if you would have enough hours, some customers could be downright rude

Wawa

I worked at Wawa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall a good experience. Company means well in its initiatives. Benefits were good and there is room for personal growth

Cons

Stores are pressed to get things accomplished that simply aren't possible in order to provide good customer service and accomplish tasks.

Not enough

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, medical after 30 days,

Cons

No accountability for those that don't do their work, too much politics, not enough money being paid for the work involved..

Dont just think of an associate, "at least we have a body", the associates work so hard, and the hourly wage is not enough. And instead of goosebumps, how about more money...everyone has two jobs

Great company!

I have been working at Wawa full-time

Pros

Career, benefits, culture, compensation, growth.

Cons

Lots of quality competition for career advancement.

Store Maintenance Associate

Former Employee - Store Maintenance Associate in Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Store Maintenance Associate in Chester, VA

I worked at Wawa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get food discounts. They are willing to schedule around college and such. Some legitimately nice people to work with for the most part and your responsibilities are well outlined.

Cons

Completely inconsistent hours and schedules. Will go from 40 hours one week to 18 another week with no reason. Probably not a company wide thing, but my managers loved to short me hours and basically have me on call knowing I needed the hours to pay my bills. So while I would be scheduled like 15-20 hours, I would almost always work 32+ hours every week purely from them calling me in. The few times I could not come in, I would find that the next week I had even fewer hours. Again, I doubt this is a company wide practice as I know other managers who would never do so, but this was simply my specific experience and I doubt it is illustrative of most SMA's at Wawa.

The normal cons of Customer Service jobs apply, no better or worse than normal.

Ensure managers are not abusing those who are willing to be flexible. While I always did well on my reviews and was well liked, I often felt like I was being exploited due to my willingness to help and need for hours. While the drop in hours after I had declined to come in when called in outside my scheduled hours may have been mere coincidence, it was hard to ignore the overall pattern.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Delran, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Delran, NJ

I worked at Wawa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company, employees, customers, benefits, advancement

Cons

politics, poor judgement of character,

Person at the bottom had worked hard to get where they at. Please do not take word of upper management and let them go.

Customer service associate for over a year

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good. After 60 days they'll give you an evaluation with an opportunity for a raise. Then you get yearly evaluations. The salary starts at $9/hour and in less than a year I got raised to $10.04.

The scheduling is really flexible and they'll work with you if you're a high school student, college student, or working another job.

It's generally very hard to get fired. You have to really screw up, or steal from the company. If you're not doing well they'll just punishing you by not putting you on the schedule.

Cons

You deal with every type of person, idiots, snobs, insanely rude people, etc... And you have to be polite and smile at every single one of them.

There's generally 3 shifts morning shift (6am-3pm), second shift (3pm-12am) and third shift (12am-7am). Then there's weird shifts that go in.

The schedule goes up weekly and is never consistent. Say you want to work every Saturday and Sunday from 7-3 and on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3-12. You won't get a fixed schedule. Which sucks.

You have to work at least 3 holidays during the "Christmas season" you have to sign up for a shift on thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. This can be inconvenient if you're planning a vacation or have a second job.

They ask you to work until midnight, then come in again at 6am. That's just bad planning.

Don't be rude to your employees, and don't expect them to just know things. Have fun and make your employees feel comfortable. If they ask you a question, don't get annoyed or use a rude tone when you answer.