Wawa Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.8

Wawa CEO Chris Gheysens
Chris Gheysens

Pros
  • Great pay, benefits, 401K and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (in 11 reviews)

• They offer good benefits for those who work a decent amount of hours as well (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to be good at planning ahead to ensure a solid work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• 24/7 Business that never closes can be highly demanding & draining at times (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer service associate for over a year

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good. After 60 days they'll give you an evaluation with an opportunity for a raise. Then you get yearly evaluations. The salary starts at $9/hour and in less than a year I got raised to $10.04.

The scheduling is really flexible and they'll work with you if you're a high school student, college student, or working another job.

It's generally very hard to get fired. You have to really screw up, or steal from the company. If you're not doing well they'll just punishing you by not putting you on the schedule.

Cons

You deal with every type of person, idiots, snobs, insanely rude people, etc... And you have to be polite and smile at every single one of them.

There's generally 3 shifts morning shift (6am-3pm), second shift (3pm-12am) and third shift (12am-7am). Then there's weird shifts that go in.

The schedule goes up weekly and is never consistent. Say you want to work every Saturday and Sunday from 7-3 and on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3-12. You won't get a fixed schedule. Which sucks.

You have to work at least 3 holidays during the "Christmas season" you have to sign up for a shift on thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. This can be inconvenient if you're planning a vacation or have a second job.

They ask you to work until midnight, then come in again at 6am. That's just bad planning.

Don't be rude to your employees, and don't expect them to just know things. Have fun and make your employees feel comfortable. If they ask you a question, don't get annoyed or use a rude tone when you answer.

Store Maintenance Associate

Former Employee - Store Maintenance Associate in Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Store Maintenance Associate in Chester, VA

I worked at Wawa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get food discounts. They are willing to schedule around college and such. Some legitimately nice people to work with for the most part and your responsibilities are well outlined.

Cons

Completely inconsistent hours and schedules. Will go from 40 hours one week to 18 another week with no reason. Probably not a company wide thing, but my managers loved to short me hours and basically have me on call knowing I needed the hours to pay my bills. So while I would be scheduled like 15-20 hours, I would almost always work 32+ hours every week purely from them calling me in. The few times I could not come in, I would find that the next week I had even fewer hours. Again, I doubt this is a company wide practice as I know other managers who would never do so, but this was simply my specific experience and I doubt it is illustrative of most SMA's at Wawa.

The normal cons of Customer Service jobs apply, no better or worse than normal.

Ensure managers are not abusing those who are willing to be flexible. While I always did well on my reviews and was well liked, I often felt like I was being exploited due to my willingness to help and need for hours. While the drop in hours after I had declined to come in when called in outside my scheduled hours may have been mere coincidence, it was hard to ignore the overall pattern.

Good company, great salary but poor work/life balance. This company is all about who you know!

Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. This is the reason most people stay.. It is impossible to find a job that compares to Wawa's compensation. The free stock and retirement package is amazing!

Cons

You have no personal life if your a manager. Once you are promoted to a fuel store, there's very little room to move up. External hires are paid far more (and they have guaranteed bonuses) than people dedicated to the company for years!! There is no additional pay for working the highest volume, toughest stores. Everything is based on if you achieve your outrageous budget, not on Prior year sales and business growth. If your area manager dislikes you for any reason, you will be unemployed or demoted for certain!!!

The politics of the company make those working in the stores disgruntled. People get promoted to area manager & lead levels only because they know the right people. Yearly evals and FOSA Documentation are never considered for promotions??! When applying for a position, the candidate gets the job based on an interview ( that some candidates have access to the questions weeks prior) not on they're previous work performance or because they truly are the best person for the job! Thus the people that deserve promotion rarely get it!! Store level people are held accountable for everything and anything they do, however this is not true for the supporting departments. Store operations also gets frustrated with the amount of money the company wastes on non-essential things. When finances are tight the first thing that is cut is store labor??? When as a company we blow millions a year on things such as flying FL managers to events and paying for rooms, food, cars, air fare..etc...

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous in Egg Harbor City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Egg Harbor City, NJ

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and grow with a company that is moving forward in retail!

Cons

Long hours, the need to take work home with you because it is impossible to get things done during the work day

Work in the stores and next to your people! Some upper management have done this and it has bonded associates and management

Great company to work they value their people.

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Culture and benefits. People are awesome.

Cons

Not enough pay for the amount
    Of
    Work.

Learn the culture. Enjoy your people.

Amazing, simply amazing

Current Employee - Fuel Associate in Jackson, NJ
    Current Employee - Fuel Associate in Jackson, NJ

I have been working at Wawa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good hours, benefits, customers, easy job, the overall aura of the place is fantastic

Cons

Some customers can be rude, and others think it's your fault that the gas is expensive, but the amount of good customers outweighs that by a long shot.

Keep up the good work

Excellent Company Great Benifits

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Excellent Company Great Benifits plan

Cons

Can not think of any negitives

Learning culture

I have been working at Wawa

Pros

Flexibility, training, networking, values, education assistance

Cons

Work life balance, pigeon holed, losing family centric focus

FFM

Former Employee - FFM in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - FFM in Largo, FL

I worked at Wawa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall good pay and some fun

Cons

Training was 7 weeks but terrible experience, time off is none, work/life balance is 0 and includes working from 4 am to sometime in the late afternoon.

Please, value your managers as you value your associates

Great People, Great Benefits, Great Core Values.

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Core Values, Great benefits with 401k company match and employee stock ownership plan, great wellness program, up and coming career development programs, good amount of paid time off (especially for full-time employees), great financial stability as a company, competitive pay, free coffee!

Cons

All open positions are very competitive, so it may be tough to get to the level that you want to be at in your career quickly; store-level has long and sometimes unusual hours